1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
While I was at it, I swapped the IFS from the '93 over as it had RCV axles in it already. I also plated and added some small gussets for the time being, but with this much lift, I need to be looking for a set of cut n' turn housings. Hopefully I can save up and buy some this winter. If someone has a set they want to sell, PM me please.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I also mounted my plow push plates. This gave me a great mounting surface for the front sway bar. I've done this before and it work quite well as it lowers the mounting point with the added lift.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
In case you were wondering, I've already lowered my plow A frame. The three lower holes that are welded up are the original mounting holes.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks, the guy can weld. He works at my buddy's shop and welds stainless and aluminum all day, they never work with steel. I gave him a set of BFG's for his Jeep and he offered to help me with my trans mount/skidplate.

This is the kind of stuff he builds all day:

His welds are flawless:

On another note, I finally figured out how to rename the thread. :thumbup

·
Registered
385 Posts
What does your friend make? It looks like he makes ski boom towers for ski boats? Oh yeah and the snow plow do you use the power steering pump or is the power steering pump to week to lift and rotate the plow? Maybe a PTO somewhere on the engine or transmission?

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What does your friend make? It looks like he makes ski boom towers for ski boats? Oh yeah and the snow plow do you use the power steering pump or is the power steering pump to week to lift and rotate the plow? Maybe a PTO somewhere on the engine or transmission?
They build Radar arches, Tuna towers, Marlin Towers, bow rails, etc...

The one you see in the picture is a base for a hardtop (you can actually see the fiberglass hardtop under it in the pic).
He doesn't build any ski boat stuff, we're on the ocean so most of the stuff is for either custom sport fishers, express boats and he also builds bow rails, tops, etc... for the boat builders.

He built this tower for my boat several years ago:( no I don't own the boat anymore, sold it 3 years ago when I closed my business)

The guy in the pictures doesn't own the shop, he is an employee, a very talented employee at that. He works for my buddy and we have become friends over the years.

As far as the plow, it's a Fisher Minute Mount which is all self contained on the head gear. It's an electric/hydraulic unit. There are no hoses to connect, just two electric plugs; one for power and ground and the other for lights and controls.

Minute Mount® 2 Mounting System | Fisher Engineering

·
Registered
385 Posts
Nice. :thumbup

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
As always, thanks for the likes & the compliments.
I've been playing with these things for 40+ years. My first vehicle was a'66 bronco when I was 15, then I had (still have a '74 w/ 4 wheel steering) had '76, a '78 and a few others over the years. I learned to make a lot of the stuff for these things because there wasn't a whole lot to buy when I was young.

Anyways, back on track.

Finished up the Super Runner steering:

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I swapped out the stock master & booster for a 1 ton unit:

....while I was at it, I changed all the brakes lines to stainless steel:

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I started on the rear sway bar, have to mod the brackets a little to fit the 9" with the truss, I'll try to get to those this weekend. I lengthened the sway bar links though :

You can see the difference from my '93 link, and I had added 2" to these about 10 years ago:

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sorry guys, I didn't get anything done on the '96 this weekend. Spent the weekend putting the '93 back together; got the front axle, steering and brakes all back together only to find the master cylinder crapped the bed. The mc was fine when I pulled it apart. :banghead
Pulled the booster and the master out of the '96 parts truck and it worked. Mounted up the BFG 35's and at least got the truck driving again.

Hope to get back on the new truck Tuesday. Hope everyone had a better weekend than I did. :beer

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks Thomas. I didn't get much work done on mine this week, but we did manage to lift his Jeep Cherokee just a bit and put my 33 BFG's under it. ;)

( pay no attention to my OSHA approved staircase ) :histerica

We had to lengthen the front upper control arms and remount the rear shocks. I actually used the rear Bronco frame mounts. I cut the 3 hole rivet flange off and radiused it to the rear axle. It gave us another 4.5" height allowing us to use the old shocks over.
And you guys thought all that fab work on my truck was for free. :thumbup

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I cut off the area in red and then used the radius marked with orange with just a little shaping to make it fit the Jeep axle housing.

In the end, they looked like they belonged there:

:goodfinge

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So I did manage to finish modifying my sway bar to fit my trussed 9" before I left today. I used two sets of the mounting plates for an 8.8"; I cut the end off that had the slot to catch the tab on the 8.8" housing and then coped them to fit the truss on the back and the radius on the front of the housing. I opened up the slots on the miller to accept 1/2" carriage bolts and it looks like it should work. I'll let you know down the road how it holds up.

Just got to get some Rust Bullet on it to protect it and should be good to go.

:armed

21 - 40 of 601 Posts