Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

521 - 540 of 564 Posts

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,514 Posts
Agreed. The thing is that on my 59 years on this God forsaken planet :thumbup , I have managed to accumulate a lot of tools. Back when I was younger, it was pretty easy to score deals on things like equipment because things were sold by word of mouth. You now how it went, a guys hanging around in your garage and you say" Boy, I wish I had a lathe, because I could make this myself" and then it would be like "Hey, I know a guy who has had one sitting in the corner of his shop for years and wants to get rid of it" Today with the InterWeb, there is an unlimited market to get rid of anything, and oh yeah, they want too much money for it. If I started all over again tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to do it.
In all sincerity, what did it actually cost me to re-work those drums, a couple of hours? My wife works nights, so it gives me something to do rather than sit in a chair and watch the tube. I don't know about you guys, but I like working with my hands. I actually took more satisfaction in the fact I was able to get those drums to work, and oh yeah, I get to have a few beers while I'm doing it. :goodfinge

@Doosenberry , if you are ever in the neighborhood and need something done, stop by with a few adult beverages and we'll get 'er done. :beer

P.S. Speaking of no more deals, I know someone who has a Bridgeport Milling Machine Model: F-X037 220/3 phase that I can buy for $400, he just wants it gone out of his shop. I almost .......

So; you're for hire....? :nerd: :toothless

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
That makes sense because that's exactly how NASCAR engines breathe/inhale.
Hence the name "cowl in-duction" :goodfinge

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
So; you're for hire....? :nerd: :toothless

Sure, C'mon down. :ford

P.S. I drink that square bottle with the black label. :deal

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,514 Posts
Sure, C'mon down. :ford

P.S. I drink that square bottle with the black label. :deal
Awesome! :beer

Lightweight! :goodfinge

Ever had Old Grand-Dad? :thumbup

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #526

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
I wasn't happy with the 1" spacer I made, as the front end was 1 1/4" higher than the back. I figured it would have settled in, but it didn't.

I removed the 1" spacer:

Then I must have put those tires on and off at least 10 times trying to get the camber right. I don't have an alignment turn plates, so it was make an adjustment, back the truck out and then drive it on to see how it looked. Amazing what 1" will do. In the end I came to something close. I then used the string method to set my toe :

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #529
So I was 1 1/4" higher, removed 1" and now I'm 1" lower. I cant make a 1/2" spacer, because the bolt isn't long enough, so I may have to rethink this. I want it close to level so my tires don't hit the fenders when turning onto an incline like a driveway.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
Okay, went to the shop tonight and looked at it on the lift. I think I'm gonna turn down those spacers to a 1/2" and mill the slot back in them. I'm thinking I can use the bolt extensions if I drill out the spring retainer ( I should have spares) to fit over it. If that works out, I'll machine a spacer to fill in the gap so I can still bolt the retainer in. :shrug

We'll see, I'll rip it apart again Saturday and keep you posted. :gears:

I should seriously just sell this thing. :whiteflag

·
Registered
864 Posts
I should seriously just sell this thing. :whiteflag
Said every person who's ever had frustrations with their vehicle. I have a couple that are for sale if someone wants to spend more than they're worth.

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,152 Posts
What should it be set to though? What measurement of distance between the string and the front portion of the wheel? Is that something different for each vehicle or is there a general safe measurement?

521 - 540 of 564 Posts