Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 594 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I also swapped out my fuel tank for a 33 gallon plastic one and changed out my fuel pump when I cleaned up my skid plate.

The old tank looked pretty crappy on the outside but was actually very good on the inside. Either way, I figure I shouldn't have to touch it again.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Doesn't look like the same tank inside compared to the rust outside:

Sorry, best I can do for pics on the new tank. :banghead :banghead :banghead

I think I should be OK with the tailpipes. They said 3" clearance in the instructions. :eek:

The exhaust used to exit out the side, but I had to cut and re-weld them when I did my shackle flip.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
yea, sure the bronco is cool and all, but i want to know about that cobra
that's my friend/partners car, its been gathering dust for a bit. We ran a Cobra business out of there for about 12 years. We built a little over 50 cars plus a couple of prototypes, one of which went to car & Driver.

The door you see in the background is where the 4 post lift my truck is on in the pics. There is a steep ramp in that pic that leads out the door. It was too steep for the Cobra's to make it out, so we tore down the office where the clock is, removed the ramp and put a drive on lift in it's place. It made better use of the shop and gave us a second entrance/exit.

Some more pics:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Some more if you're interested:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Some more if you're interested:

]

They look like a tuning nightmare, but this carb setup always looked badass.

I long ago decided that if i won the lottery, i'd have to give strong consideration to an old ac cobra with the 420-whatever cj.

I don't think that's gonna work out, but i still hold out hope for building one in a kit car.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The Weber 48 IDA's are a bit tough to tune. It boils down to having the right cam so you have enough vacuum to run the carbs. That said, they do look bad ass on that 427 Sideoiler. I built that motor for myself and had it sitting on a stand for about 9 years before I finally put it in a car. The torque they put out is incredible, like Ken Miles told Carrol Shelby after first driving the 427 car, " It's like driving a bloody dragster on ice!"

P.S. you missed the other one on the first page under the '96 parts truck.

:thumbup

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
OK, back to the build. I had a 3" body lift for a late 80's Bronco that someone gave me at least ten years ago, sitting on the shelf at the shop. I have been trying to decide what to do for steering clearance and figured maybe I'd put it use. I really didn't want to go 3" as I figured it'd be too much. ( I hate the air gap between the body & chassis and the bumper spacing). So the last two nights (I work on the truck after work) I had managed to remove all the body bolts from the truck, cut all the spacers down to 2" and run a die over all the bolts too make up the difference. The rear roll pan covers the chassis gap really good and I think I'll mount some tow hooks under the rear frame rail. Up front I plan on building a bumper with tapered end to help the turning radius and I'll extend the height to cover the gap between the body & chassis. Here's where I ended up:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hate body lifts as well, but I have considered this exact thing just to aid in clearance when you have to work on something. I was thinking more like 1" to 1 1/2" though, that shouldn't stretch out wiring or hoses too bad like the 3" does over time. Good job.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks for the compliments. Wires and hoses seem good for the most part, but I do have to work the fan shroud a little yet. I gained some by dropping the tranny for drive shaft clearence, which in turn raised the fan a bit. I'll get it to work, not sure if I could have with the 3" though.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. Wires and hoses seem good for the most part, but I do have to work the fan shroud a little yet. I gained some by dropping the tranny for drive shaft clearence, which in turn raised the fan a bit. I'll get it to work, not sure if I could have with the 3" though.

I just did a 1 in also for the same reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Okay, so I pulled the fan and the shroud off Saturday. I had the old shroud and radiator from the '96 parts tuck so, I figured I'd play around with that. Much to my surprise, both were 5.8's but had different shrouds. I grabbed some aluminum flat stock I had at the shop and cut it to length of the radiator:

I drilled the holes to match up to both the radiator and the shroud and then mounted it to the shroud:

Then I did a trial fit, pulled it back apart, stuck it in the brake, and threw a couple of bends in to offset it from the radiator so the bolts wouldn't hit the fins:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I then did my final mount to the radiator:

Then mounted the shroud and the fan and checked it for clearence:

I need to get some more Aluminum for the bottom, so that's on hold for now. So I painted up the throttle body coolant tube so I can get that back in tomorrow night and wrap the top up.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
It was still early so I decided to pull the Transfer case shifter so I could lengthen it . It was going good until I decided I would spread the mount just a little bit more: :doh:

I ended up dropping it off at my buddies house so he could weld at work tomorrow. Waaaaay toooooo much leverage there for me to try and weld it,; this time I'll leave it to the professionals. :whiteflag

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I cracked a beer and was going to throw in the towel but decided I would lengthen the shifter anyways. I scribed a line down the side so I could orient the pieces back up after I cut it. I lobbed it in half and the cut off a two inch piece of round bar and pencil pointed the ends:

Welded it up and then gave it a quick spin on the lathe to make it somewhat smooth:

A quick coat of paint and called it a night:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
As expected, my buddy did a phenomenal job welding up my shifter. He even added a gusset just in case:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
All lubed, assembled, painted up and ready to go back in:

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,745 Posts
I too like the fan shroud work.

since my bronco is more of a wheeler now i will just cut the fenders to gain clearance. a 2" max body lift had crossed my mind several times. 1" being ideal, I always wondered if the Poly mounts would give a 1" over stock rubber mounts?

·
Super Moderator
24,189 Posts
41 - 60 of 594 Posts