Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

581 - 600 of 601 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
I drilled a hole in the shock tower and ran the air fitting into it; figure there's plenty of room to fill them from the wheel well with the 37's.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #583
Your dedication to the TTB is inspiring. Or crazy? its one of those two :p
LOL, Probably both.
But seriously: There is a reason that solid axle cars, and you can go all the way back to the days of Ferrari's, Corvette's and even the Cobra's went faster and handled better, once they went to independent suspensions. I know someone is going to argue that front ends were always independent, but before they days of coil springs, they used a transverse leaf spring set up.
There is a reason that desert racers stick with the TTB, it flat out works! I don't care how much you wheel your rig, the majority of it's life is seen on the road where the handling is much better than a solid axle.
Yeah you have to modify things a bit to make them work when you lift them, but you have to do that with a solid axle too. When I ran 44"s on my '74 Bronco, I still had to drop the radius arms and fabricate the steering, radius arm, gears , etc...
IDK, maybe it's just me, but I really think the TTB gets a bad rap because people either don't know or aren't willing to do what it takes to make them work.

Just my $0.02

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,078 Posts
I've been wondering how long it would take for the TTB hate to land here.
Took much longer than I ever expected.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,549 Posts
Nah i wouldnt call it hate, just bustin his chops a bit :p
I have no doubt you can build a beefy TTB, like @cobrajoe said, the desert runners do it all the time.

I think the biggest reason they get hate on, is because its much more challenging to align them than the standard IFS system you see on cars today and most people dont take the time to do it right.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #587
The Ford TTB is probably one of the most hated and misunderstood suspensions ever to come out of Detroit. I think sometimes human nature makes people take the path of least resistance, especially in this day and age. Years ago, you added lift blocks, an add-a-leaf or whole spring pack, swapped out to longer shocks and off you went. With the more complex suspension like a TTB; you add a a two inch taller coil spring and all of a sudden, you have camber and steering issues. So what do people do today? They search the inter-web and everybody say get rid of it, their junk and you need to know a witch doctor and some voodoo to get them to remotely work.
Even with drop brackets and drop Pitman arms, these vehicles tend to have a lot of bump steer that changes the toe through the arc of travel in the suspension, and scrubs the tires. Switching to the Superunner steering really helps ( more of a sideways "K" instead of an inverted "Y" setup) and I think is probably the only company that has addressed the steering issue in this vehicles once lifted. On a SAS, you have to modify (or buy ,if available) the panhard to correct the bump steer issue that comes with lift.

I think most people throw in the towel when they go to an alignment shop and the only thing the Technician (an overstated word in this application IMO) says all he can do is set the toe. If the Tech actually did his job and used adjustable Caster/Camber bushings, there would be a lot more happy people running these things down the road.
I look at it this way, these TTB's worked fine out of the factory ; hell, Ford started the Twin I beam back in 1965 up until it was replaced with TTB in 1980-1997, so, if it didn't work, they wouldn't have stayed with it all these years. Truth is, if you spend the time to replicate the way it worked before you lifted it, you'd end up a lot happier in the end.
I know I've fabricated a lot of the stuff to make it work, but this is what we did before you could buy everything over the counter. (think "early hot rodding" days) I think if the aftermarket did a better job on the TTB lift kits, there'd be a lot more happy customers.
Again, just my $0.02

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
I'm a little surprised, I really thought I would get more $hit about ^ this^.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I used to only want a straight a me, my opinions have changed though. I am more intrigued than anything by the ttb and that makes it worth the trouble for me. To add there hasn’t been any trouble. I’m fortunate to have a ford tech that won’t let anyone touch my truck on the alignment rack but him because he wants it done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,836 Posts
I'm a little surprised, I really thought I would get more $hit about ^ this^.

Dude; this website is semi-dead.

Ever since the upgrade this place has been a ghost town.

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love the commitment to the ttb. Your statements about if it didn't work then why did ford commit to it is so true.

I also laugh at ttb and alignment issues that people complain about. Every 80-96 ford I've owned has been easier on tires and alignment than most modern ifs front ends.
Most modern ifs with large wheels, low profile tires and stiff suspensions take way more alignment tweaking than ford ttb ever has.

I work in a tire shop and see more modern vehicles with less than 50k miles eating tires due to alignment issues than any ttb ford. Some manufacturers are starting to say vehicles need alignment checks at every oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I have never had alignment issues with them either. Owned a brand new one for three years and my current 1990 for 22 years. Both only ran/run 33s and I have rebuilt the 1990's front end twice. But, partly because good replacement parts are hard to "find", sort of.

tim

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
I know you're kidding, but for those who aren't familiar with air lift bags, it really doesn't change the ride. Nothing like air shocks did years ago, now that felt like you had wedged a 2 x 4 in the suspension.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,836 Posts
I have some 5.38 gear questions:
1) Has metallurgy on ring and pinion gears improved over the last 35 years that you know of?
Or; to put it another way: are the 5.38 gears of today BETTER than 1985/1995/2005/2015 gears?

2) Do you think 5.38s will hold up to high RPM-high torque/*BFH tire-rims (full HMMWV set up)?

3) Are the 5.38s much 'weaker' than 5.13s?

Backstory:
37s - current tires
38s to 42s - possible future tires
I'm going to finally swap in a 1ton rear next month and have already decided I'm going with 5.13 gears.

However; I'm still pondering 5.38s because I want as low a final drive ratio as I can get.
But I am concerned about shredding the pinion while, say, applying full throttle attempting to get unstuck on a snow-covered or mud-covered fire road (which I do in the mountains here in ID).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 🥃

*big fuggin' heavy😀

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
@CDA 455 , not sure on metal composition on anything these days. Who knows where the hell stuff is being manufactured.
My 5:38-5:43's take some abuse, granted I'm only running the 37's on them in the winter, but with the Lockers and the the Tru-Trac, I tend to beat them up pretty good pushing snow. Sometimes spinning them with wheel hop on pavement when I bite off more than I can chew.

By design, any lower numerical ratio will be weaker than the next higher numerical ratio. Personally, I don't think the difference between those two ratios (5:14 & 5:38) would be as great as say 3:55's & 5:38's would be.

Also, the load on a vehicle stuck in snow or mud would not be as great as someone pulling heavy equipment trailer or pushing snow. Pushing snow under load, especially in a constant back and forth motion, puts a lot of strain on a drivetrain.

My advice to you, is go with whatever you think is going to make you happy. Then again, i stopped overthinking $hit years ago.......

Reactions: CDA 455

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,836 Posts
@CDA 455
1) Also, the load on a vehicle stuck in snow or mud would not be as great as someone pulling heavy equipment trailer or pushing snow. Pushing snow under load, especially in a constant back and forth motion, puts a lot of strain on a drivetrain.

2) My advice to you, is go with whatever you think is going to make you happy. Then again, i stopped overthinking $hit years ago.......
1) You bring up good points.
The main reason I'm going for 5.13/5.38 is the fact, with my current drivetrain, I'll have a final drive ratio of less than 50:1 (37 to 39:1 to be exact).
My '99.5 F-350 had a final drive ratio of 50:1 that I absolutely loved; and I subscribe to the '50:1 to 100:1' as the ideal final drive ratio for offroading.

The 2nd reason I'm going for 5.13/5.38 is the fact I'll be pulling 2.5 tons of trailer/cargo, not only on the road, but also in the backcountry up in the mountains.

2) Overthinking; the story of my life! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Currently rolling on 33s.

By the end of Summer there will be HMMWV tire/rims all the way around.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
I forgot to mention, that all of my plowing is done in 4-Lo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great read! I'm also A ttb lover! I love seeing people build there trucks how they want them, it would be silly if they were all the same. Mine has 37's with no lift, totally different build for different purpose. But I can definitely appreciate the hard work and custom fab that went into your build! That thing is rad and gets put to work! I just read your whole thread, thanks for sharing the details helps motivate me to get off my butt and get things done!

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,836 Posts
Can a 8 lug D44 hub/rotor/brake caliber set up bolt on to our Bronco?

Is said 8 lug rotors bigger than bronco's rotors?

581 - 600 of 601 Posts