Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 80 of 564 Posts

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Finally got around to pulling the rear tires ( I'm getting old, these 44's are kicking the sh!t outta me) and finishing up the rear brakes. Pulled the stock wheel cylinders and installed one tons and new E-Brake cables:

Finished the SS rear brake lines, added clips and drilled and tapped the housing to accept the new/longer braided stainless hose:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Cut out a bracket and welded it to the plow frame for a steering stabilizer. Just need to get some 1 1/4" U-bolts to mount it to the SuperRunner steering arm;

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Went to tractor Supply this am and picked up my u bolts to finishing mounting my stabilizer, got that done and decided I'd play with my E-brake cables.

It's a little short with the body lift so I thought I'd just mount it on the back side of the body mount. I cut out a piece of plate, drilled a hole in it and welded it to the mount:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So I brought a change of clothes with me and stopped by my buddies Boneyard after work and scored a pair of these:

I wasn't really happy with the frame rails showing after I did the body lift, so I thought they might fill the void a little better.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I pulled the roll pan off to gain access; I wanted as much meat as I could get from the chassis, so I burnt off the rivet that holds the rear cross member and punched it out with an air chisel, I lucked out, as the hole was the right size.

I used that hole for the rear bolt of the tow hook:

After that it was, just drill the other hole, bolt the hook in place and scrape and paint the cross member with RustBullet:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
It's a short section of frame but I should probably still box it for strength, but I need to get this project wrapped up soon. I'll probably do it in the spring because I really don't feel like dropping the tank right now.

I think it filled the void pretty good and gave me a tow point seeing I don't have a rear bumper.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well, tonight wasn't really productive.... Managed to get the tranny out of the '93 so I could reuse the Billet Machined Torque Converter that I had installed last year, into the '96. The one in the '96 is on the jack and ready to come down, but had to call it a night. Hopefully get one of them back together tomorrow.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
My shocks came in today so I couldn't resit playing with something easy for a change. :thumbup

I opened them up and Holy Crap!!! these things are huge!!! Ride height is at 28" length. Fully extended is 34" and change. I had to hold my phone behind my head to get them in frame, lol.

:duh

Installed;

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
OK, the tranny's are currently on hold until Tuesday night, as my buddy who helped me isn't free until then. So, I have been contemplating the front bumper design for awhile and came up with a plan last week. I needed something that would give me steering clearence as well as add 2" to hide the body lift gap. Naturally, I went seem my buddy and asked him if he was willing to give it a whirl. He agreed and liked my idea, so we ordered up the materials which came in yesterday. He had a few hours to work with me tonight, so we bent up a couple of test pieces from some scrap and ran back to my shop to test fit. Our second attempt was better than what I had envisioned so we headed back to his shop and started cutting and bending.

Here's a few quick step by step pics:

Here is our shiny sheet of 1/4" material:

next, we sheared it up to size:

Now the first bend:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Then we added the second and third bend:

Flipped it around to add the bottom radius:

....and the end result:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
A quick run back to my shop for a test fit:

...and then back to the shop to bend up the rest:

Hopefully we can squeeze some time in over the holiday to start cutting and welding in the radius's.

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I'm diggin this look...:thumbup :popc1:
Thank you, and as always, it's very much appreciated.

I'm lucky enough to have a fairly good size shop with the right tools and equipment that I have accumulated over the years and fortunate enough to have some extremely talented friends who have everything else I don't have. :thumbup

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Back at it again this morning. So, I have been waiting to get the tranny/transfer case out so I could work on the underside. First thing I did this morning was address the rusted heat shields:

I added two inches of body lift, so figured the added space and airflow would work in my favor and allow me to remove these rusted out panels and clean up and protect the newly exposed sheet metal. I grabbed a 3/16" bit and drilled out all the rivets holding them in place:

After a few minutes I had a nice pile of rusted crap on the floor:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I have been meaning to work on this rusted out brace on the driver's side quarter panel and figured today was the day:

I hit it with a grinder and and a wire wheel to prep the area and cut out a piece of 14 gauge i had in the shop:

I tacked it in place:

...and then finish welding it...then I ran out of Argon, so it had to be good enough:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I grabbed a red scuff pad and attacked all the sheet metal I could:

I then wire brushed any of the rusty areas I came across:

I've used this stuff in the past with really good results, it's a little pricey, but hey, you get what you pay for. (fingers crossed)

Before:

...and after:

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Some more:

This is the stuff ( just a different type, (that was Rocker Schultz) that they used to use on the rocker panels and the door bottom of Lincolns and high end Ford's years ago) and can be painted over to match body color or what ever you want.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Some more:

This is the stuff ( just a diffrent type, (that was Rocker Schultz) that they used to use on the rocker panels and the door bottom of Licolns and high end Ford's years ago) and can be painted over to match body color or what ever you want.

While your looking for rust lift up the rear carpet at by the tailgate and see if your rear sill is rusted too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 564 Posts