Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 120 of 601 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Thanks guys! The hardest part is yet to come; the transition down the sides to match up with the fender flares and wheel opening. Also have to cut some holes and weld in some pipe for lights, to break it up a little. I was concerned that it may get too bulky trying to hide the body lift but, I'm pleased so far. I am extremely fortunate to have someone that has the equipment and talent to help me with this. :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Last night was cut the lawn night and tonight was clean up the shop 'nite, so not much done on the truck. I had a little time left before heading home so I pulled the shocks and dropped the transfer case and cross-member down. Scuffed and cleaned them and gave them a fresh coat of paint to try and add some color to the truck. Not a big fan of a bunch of different colors, but also not a fan of the new "stealth mode" all black look. ( no offense to anyone, it's just my age). I figured when I do the urethane bushings in red, things will tie together, hopefully.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I also scored this freebie from my buddies boneyard when I liberated the F150 tow hooks last week:

It's out of an Excursion but the color is wrong, so when I went to buy my red paint, I had a radio bezel from a spare dash that I brought with me to Lowes to try and match the color. I found this;

I sprayed the cupholder from the console ( it was black, like the extra one I grabbed to the far right bottom of the pic ) and it seems to match up pretty good with the radio trim piece. It's far enough away from everything else to be close enough. I think the wood grain will tie in nice with the Eddie Bauer wood trim too.

Something else to play with in-between the big jobs.

:whiteflag

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I wasn't able to get much done today, as I decided to power wash my shop floor and then help my buddy with the chassis on his '57. :banghead :banghead

I did manage to get my shocks back in, paint the yokes on the transfer case, get the T-case shifter back in and install the cross member with a couple of bolts. Here is the semi-finished product. So go ahead, let me have it, as I've got thick skin. What do you guys think of the red-black color combo? I know the young guys are going to say nay, but what about us 'ole timers? :popc1:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Not much to show today. I went to the shop for a few hours this am and finished drilling out the 1/2" holes for the brackets that I never finished. There done, finally; been dreading that for a while now.

Even had a little time left to take the buffer to the passenger side to try and remove the "Nantucket Pinstriping" ...as you can see in the pic:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Did a little more work on the bumper tonight, getting closer:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Okay, I got two separate surprises yesterday; 1.) I "officially" put my truck on the road yesterday. (I was using a dealer plate before) When I bought the truck off of my buddy, he told me it was a '95 with a clean tittle and gave me all the paperwork in a manila envelope. Yesterday, I get out of work early so I can go to the insurance company and the RMV to get this on the road before the end of the month. When I pull out the Title and Bill of Sale I found out that the truck is a 1996. :thumbup (hope I don't have to change the name of this thread again?, but I did go back and change the 95's to 96's) :whiteflag
My next surprise was not as good 2.) I get to my shop and put on my new plates and then start scuffing up my exhaust so I can paint it. I get it all scuffed and start the truck to warm up the metal and I notice this:

A closer look showed that the bottom corner of the radiator on the drivers side was leaking. :cry

I painted up my exhaust anyways and pretty much mumbled under my breath about the %$&^ radiator for a bit. :banghead

Just as I finished getting it painted,

my buddy that I bought the truck off of calls and asked how I made out at the RMV and I proceed to tell him about the damn radiator. He starts laughing and telling me "It's better that it happened now, rather than later" although I would have rather it didn't happen at all. :whiteflag He then asks me if I can swing by his shop as he has something to show me. He is not even a mile away from me so I take a ride over.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Technically, I guess I got three surprises yesterday, because when I got there, he gave me this: :thumbup

He said he had bought it and planned on changing it out when he had bought the truck but never did as the radiator appeared to be OK.
Although it sucked having to change it out, at least the price was right. ...and so, the pile grows:

Reactions: bmad01

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I finally got around to buttoning up my Transfer case shifter after I lengthened it. I was happy to see that it worked smoothly:

Reactions: cjwchoppers

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Got a delivery today: :thumbup

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Alright, I went back to the shop early this morning because I didn't like the way the side steps came out yesterday. I started out by scrapping the tin tubing spacers they give you for the front body mount and made some out of 3/4" black iron pipe. I chucked a piece up in the lathe and turned it down to 3", about an inch 1/2" longer than the supplied ones.

You can see that it is a much heavier wall thickness compared to theirs:

Now I was able to mount the front and brace it up to get a measurement for the rear suppoprt. This came out to be about 2 1/2" longer than the supplied brace.

I took some 1/4" plate and cut two new brackets with a cut off wheel, sorry, no pics. Holding a grinder with a cut off wheel and using a camera is a recipe for disaster and I didn't feel like taking a ride to the "new finger store"

I drilled a 9/16" hole in the end and then heated it up and bent it in the vise. It's a little beefier than the the stock one:

Once I had the step level, I marked the mounting hole and drilled it out. The step is much straighter now and a little lower which should help me and my short legs. :doh0715:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Tonight was work on the bumper night...again.

First thing we did was Bologna slice some 4" pipe for fog lights:

Then transfer the hole over to the bumper face and cut them out with the plasma cutter:

Then we used the MIG gun to tack them in from the back side:

The view from the front; ready to TIG:

This kid can really weld:

Ready for the next step:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
2 thing. 1, WOW, thats some amazing metal/welding work. 2, I dont know if side steps should be laid on a jaguar hood.... lol
1.) Thank you...and 2.) As long as they are placed there carefully for dramatic photo op. :goodfinge

Reactions: StemCellResearch

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,814 Posts
will all the custom work your doing i feel those side steps are rather cheesy and wont hold up to much of anything. I would think a custom slider/step would be more appropriate and in Black not chrome. This is just me though, i dig your build big time.

so if that bronco is in fact a 96 its obd-II and the motor could handle a bunch of upgrades and the efi not getting pissed off.

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Thanks for the compliments Travis..., as far as the steps go, I'm an old school guy ( 57 ) and like the look of chrome (and stainless, lots of salt here, both from the ocean and the roads, so I go SS whenever I can) The steps are more so I can get my old a$$ in the truck.
As far as the 5.8 goes, I've got a lot of Mustang cams and stuff laying around, but no good low end truck stuff, so it's gonna have to happen down the road when I can free up some more "fun tickets" ($$$$).

So some of my Energy Suspension stuff as well as my front Shocks, came in today.

Sanded and painted the shocks up:

Pressed out the sway bar link bushings:

Installed the urethane bushings:

...and got the sway bar mounted back up:

Also got the radius arm bushings in:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Got the rest in tonight....as well as the front shocks:

Reactions: lugnut1009

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Well I learned something new in my 57 years on this God forsaken planet; all Dana 44 IFS's are not created equal. :banghead
Apparently there is a difference in the hubs between a '93 & a '96. When I pulled the wheels ( I hate handling these freaking wheels :cry ) and tried to install the Warn 33 spline hubs they wouldn't give me the extra 1/8" needed to install the snap ring. From what I'm told, the '93 is slightly longer than the '96 and my auto parts guy won't have the '93's until Monday. :doh0715:

So, I'm back to square one again:

Rather than waste the day, I decided to play with the Excursion console I got from my buddys boneyard:

So here's the new piece on the bench:

This thing needs some serious cleaning:

Here we are dissambled:

Cleaned and sanded:

A couple of quick coats to see the color difference:

For those of you who haven't done this before; the entire top piece is wood grained ( you can see the nicks in the cover are brown ) and not removable. They simply paint the surround the color of the interior, so you have to mask it off, scuff, and paint:

Here's the factory console:

...and here's the Excursion console; I think it's a better match to the Eddie Bauer wood grain trim:

Reactions: Rusty in Wis
101 - 120 of 601 Posts