Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

121 - 140 of 601 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Anyways, back on the bumper again tonight; first thing was to cut up some brackets and match the bumper holes and add some slots:

then weld in the sets of brackets;

Flip it around and blend the welds for the light holes:

then take the 1/4 round and a router to them:

and then back to my shop for a test fit:

really starting to look awesome! I am so glad that I was able to cover up the 2" gap from the body lift with the bumper and the roll pan :thumbup

...now it's try and figure out how to make these ends look good, but that's for another day....

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Thanks CJ, just wish I was a little farther along with everything, but this little thing called "life" keeps keeps getting in my way. :duh

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Well, it made it out of the stable today, but it ain't going to be doing any bucking real soon. I manged to give it a good once over and figured I had it nailed down pretty good for my shakedown cruise. I only wanted to take her around the block easy as I still don't have the right lugs for the Weld Racing Wheels; I apparently stuck them some where in the shop and I either can't find them or threw 'em out. So, new ones will be here tomorrow. :thumbup
I backed her out and stepped on the brake peddle and everything felt pretty good, threw it in drive, went easy, let her shift into second gear; all good. Slowed for the turn at the corner and the pedal seemed to creep, maybe some air still in the system? Went easy to the next corner, stopped for traffic, pedal creeped to the floor, I'm thinking I have leak. :cry Went back to the shop and pulled back on the lift and I see fluid dripping on the drivers side. :banghead

I bring it up in the air, grab a drop light and see the ABS is leaking, and not from the lines. :whiteflag I go over to the the '96 parts truck and suddenly realize I had given the ABS unit to a friend of mine for his pickup a couple of years back. :doh0715:

The good news is; now that I can really drive it straight, the camber is much better than I had thought, not GREAT but better.

Well, at least I can say it is driveable, (but I really need to buff those headlight out). ;)

Hey, at least the bumper looks ok. :toothless

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,591 Posts
Well, it made it out of the stable today, but it ain't going to be doing any bucking real soon. I manged to give it a good once over and figured I had it nailed down pretty good for my shakedown cruise. I only wanted to take her around the block easy as I still don't have the right lugs for the Weld Racing Wheels; I apparently stuck them some where in the shop and I either can't find them or threw 'em out. So, new ones will be here tomorrow.
I backed her out and stepped on the brake peddle and everything felt pretty good, threw it in drive, went easy, let her shift into second gear; all good. Slowed for the turn at the corner and the pedal seemed to creep, maybe some air still in the system? Went easy to the next corner, stopped for traffic, pedal creeped to the floor, I'm thinking I have leak. :cry Went back to the shop and pulled back on the lift and I see fluid dripping on the drivers side. :banghead

I bring it up in the air, grab a drop light and see the ABS is leaking, and not from the lines. :whiteflag I go over to the the '96 parts truck and suddenly realize I had given the ABS unit to a friend of mine for his pickup a couple of years back. :doh0715:

The good news is; now that I can really drive it straight, the camber is much better than I had thought, not GREAT but better.

Well, at least I can say it is driveable, (but I really need to buff those headlight out). ;)

Hey, at least the bumper looks ok. :toothless

Pickups have RABS not 4wabs. It's a different unit entirely. Might see if they still have it.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cobrajoe

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Pickups have RABS not 4wabs. It's a different unit entirely. Might see if they still have it.
Thanks Cajun, I remember him coming in with one in his hand and asking me if I had one and they looked the same. I assumed it was for his pickup, maybe it wasn't? Either way, I plan on calling him today and seeing if he still has it, if not, off to the boneyard.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Well, I didn't get the ABS fixed, but my buddy at the boneyard hooked me up, just need to go by his house this weekend and pick it up; hopefully tomorrow.
Tonight we got a solid six hours on the bumper, but it's still not done, close, but not done; I owe this guy my life.

We took some measurements, made some cardboard templates, pulled it off and headed back to his shop.

Then we transferred the template onto the material and started bending:

Then fitted and tacked the pieces together:

Getting closer and getting late: :doh0715:

Back to my shop for a test fit:

(It looks wide, but the fender flares will cover a good portion )

Then trim for the wheel opening:

Looks like it will work, now back off and to his shop to cap the ends, finish welding and blend the welds, but, not tonight.

A special thanks to everyone who took the time to participate and vote in the FOTM, can't wait to see how this turns out! :popc1:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Well I went and picked up the McGard lugs for the Weld wheel this morning so I took the liberty to polish up each one of the wheels when I took them off.

Unfortunately, that took most of the day, but they came out really nice as you can see from the difference in the second pic:

I know it's a day late, but I manged to get the ABS module swapped out this morning a got to take it for a real test drive:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
My ugly mug and my rides.

Still a lot more work to do. I hope to finish up my bumper this week.

It looks lost without it:

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Southcoast

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I visit Boston all the time...family is in Quincy

Im gonna have to come check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll PM you my number, be cool if we could make it happen.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Well I cancelled my flares from JBG . I had called them a week an a half a go and they said I should see them this week. When I called them Monday, they told me that hadn't received the shipment from Bushwhacker yet, while they had me on hold, I checked Summit, in stock, to my door today, $8.56 more. No brainer. I mounted them today so I can get them painted up along with my visor next week:

On a side note: the deal feel through on my '93, Apparently the guy was going half's with a friend who backed out at the last minute, so my stable is getting full again.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
As for now, bone stock 5.8 w/ mass air. Starting to run out of "fun ticket$" and need to get this thing wrapped up enough to push some snow this winter. Still need to paint the flares, visor, rear roll pan, front bumper, damaged quarter panel, etc... Maybe next summer when I have some extra cash, pull the 4:11's and go 5:14's and do a cut n' turn, after that, maybe start playing with the motor. I must say, the 5.8 really moves these 44's a lot better than I had imagined. My 5.0 has less miles on it and seemed less responsive with 37's.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Well, today was finish the bumper day. It took about 6 hours, but we finally got it wrapped up. Next step will be paint.

Final cut and trim, and fab up some end caps:

Finish weld:

I think the radius finishes it off:

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,082 Posts
I'm not really a big bumper guy and while that thing would look ridicules on a regular Bronco, it looks completely bad-ass on your rig joe.
seriously, great work by you and your "12-pack team". :thumbup

what kind of finish are you planning? how's the side profile look with the big front and nothing at the rear?

121 - 140 of 601 Posts