Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

96 Build

Tags
ttb
138K views 606 replies 58 participants last post by  cobrajoe 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, I bought this clean '96 Eddie Bauer w/114K last fall. My plan was to retire (read:SELL) my old '93 and build a new truck to plow my road and play around with on the beach once in awhile. I took pictures as I went along meaning to do a build thread, (sorry) but never posted so I'll try and bring it up to date.

Here is what she looked like when I picked her up:

It has a 5.8 w/manual Transfer case.

See less See more
#2 ·
I did a Sky shackle flip

#3 ·
While I was at it, I scrapped the step-an-tow bumper, cut the frame rails back and added a Lund Roll Pan from a F150 for a cleaner look.

Reactions: bsd4083
#4 ·
I burnt off the old coil spring buckets and Installed new ones with the 6" springs from my '93 w/ air bags ( I use them when I put the plow on)

along with JBG's radius arms and drop brackets. (notice my shop seats are Bronco Buckets :thumbup )

#326 ·
along with JBG's radius arms and drop brackets. (notice my shop seats are Bronco Buckets :thumbup )

Dumb question:
Are the radius arms threaded at the ends? :brownbag

Your pic and JBG's website pic appears as though they aren't.

Pics of the JBG radius arms is what originally drew me to your thread.

How do you like them?

#5 ·
Here it is with the springs in and the 33's that it came with: I had to add the 3" block from my old truck.

Reactions: Dee
#6 ·
I took the Currie 9" out of my '93 w/ Detroit locker and 4:10's and dropped it into the '96.

#7 ·
I put the 37's from the '93 on and found that I still need some more clearance:

So I cut two inches out of the coil buckets and did an add a leaf.

Reactions: Dee and bsd4083
#606 ·
So I cut two inches out of the coil buckets and did an add a leaf.

Would you happen to have any pics of how you fused the coil bucket halves together after you cut them?
OR; how did you fuse the two halves together after you cut them in half?

I might go this route if I install '92-'96 F-350 coils.

#8 ·
I figured I may have gone a little too much, so I figured I'd see if my old 44's filled the wheel well up a little better.....

and all of a sudden the 37's looked tiny:

Reactions: Dee
#11 ·
My bad, it's a 1996, hit the wrong key or maybe just a brain fart. That's what happens when you have a '93,'96 as drivers & '96 parts truck.

I tried to correct it, but can't figure out how. Maybe get the Mods to correct it, sorry.

I'll try and get some more pics up tonight to try and bring things up to speed.

Thanks for the compliments.

#14 ·
Looks good. Same colors on my FSB as well except your paint looks better. I have to try and polish the paint to get the luster and shine back.

So are you going to keep the 44's on it or was that just to see how it looks?

Reactions: cobrajoe
#15 ·
so given that you removed the 8.8 how do you plan to address the missing tone ring and speedo/e4od not shifting correctly.

If you run a zero rate block in the back it will allow the rear axle to recenter correctly in the rear wheel well.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the compliments.
Now to the questions:
1.) I'd like to keep the 44's but don't know how far along I'll get before the snow starts; I might plow with the 37's this winter and pick back up in the spring making the 44's work. :shrug

2.) I'm gonna pull the tone ring off the transfer case on the '93 now that I put the 8.8 back in that: ( sorry for the stolen photo, but photofuc*et won't allow me to access my account where the pic of mine is)

3.) I did have to go to the zero rate block to move the rear 1 1/2" back as you can see by these pics. I also had to go to a 2" block after the zero rate added an inch

4.) I believe it was 4.5" with an added inch with the heavy duty shackle

#18 ·
Well, as you see, I went high enough to cause my drive shaft to bind, so I had to drop my transmission and transfer case to get a better angle. I was fortunate enough to have a good friend who builds boat towers help me fab up a drop mount. Here some pics of what we did. I gained almost 4" of drop in the end.

#19 ·

#20 ·
That worked out so well that I now had to drop my radius arms at least another 4" to make things work. So, we fabbed up some new drop brackets:

#21 ·

#22 ·
While I was at it, I swapped the IFS from the '93 over as it had RCV axles in it already. I also plated and added some small gussets for the time being, but with this much lift, I need to be looking for a set of cut n' turn housings. Hopefully I can save up and buy some this winter. If someone has a set they want to sell, PM me please.

#23 ·
I also mounted my plow push plates. This gave me a great mounting surface for the front sway bar. I've done this before and it work quite well as it lowers the mounting point with the added lift.

#24 ·
In case you were wondering, I've already lowered my plow A frame. The three lower holes that are welded up are the original mounting holes.

#26 ·
Thanks, the guy can weld. He works at my buddy's shop and welds stainless and aluminum all day, they never work with steel. I gave him a set of BFG's for his Jeep and he offered to help me with my trans mount/skidplate.

This is the kind of stuff he builds all day:

His welds are flawless:

On another note, I finally figured out how to rename the thread. :thumbup

#28 ·
What does your friend make? It looks like he makes ski boom towers for ski boats? Oh yeah and the snow plow do you use the power steering pump or is the power steering pump to week to lift and rotate the plow? Maybe a PTO somewhere on the engine or transmission?

Reactions: cobrajoe
#29 ·
They build Radar arches, Tuna towers, Marlin Towers, bow rails, etc...

The one you see in the picture is a base for a hardtop (you can actually see the fiberglass hardtop under it in the pic).
He doesn't build any ski boat stuff, we're on the ocean so most of the stuff is for either custom sport fishers, express boats and he also builds bow rails, tops, etc... for the boat builders.

He built this tower for my boat several years ago:( no I don't own the boat anymore, sold it 3 years ago when I closed my business)

The guy in the pictures doesn't own the shop, he is an employee, a very talented employee at that. He works for my buddy and we have become friends over the years.

As far as the plow, it's a Fisher Minute Mount which is all self contained on the head gear. It's an electric/hydraulic unit. There are no hoses to connect, just two electric plugs; one for power and ground and the other for lights and controls.

Minute Mount® 2 Mounting System | Fisher Engineering

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.