Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- New member here.
recently purchased a rolled 96 150 xlt w 5.8 and e40d 4x4 with only 140k miles. my 96 EB has 300k original miles and is starting to give me issues. i was wanting to swap motor and tranny from truck. Is there anything anyone knows that would prevent this from being a bolt in swap? no electronic concerns? Also, the truck has new warn manual locking hubs that i was going to swap as well. I assume there is an existing post about this that i will try to search. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and happy new years.

Rob

·
Banned
11,720 Posts
Engine/trans/wiring/EEC are the same (or at least interchangeable).

For the hub locks, click my black Bronco in my signature & read the captions in the Brakes & Hubs album. Your Bronco should have 3-screw autos, so look for the group of pics & diagrams that deals with those.

·
Registered
572 Posts
When u say rolled , was it on its roof? I rolled my ATV last year I know diff weight category but my engine oil ended up coating the intake tubes and carb. Took me a while to figure out that I needed to spin it over withou plugs and a lot of carb cleaner.
Otherwise if it should not be that difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it was rolled on passenger side and ended up on roof. truck drives (rolled through neighborhood at 30mph) no issues that i could see, od light flashing. will have to diagnose after swap i guess.

side note: can i pull motor, tranny, transfercase as 1 or would that be too much to swap. gonna do most of this solo so want to try and let the engine hoist do most of the work if possible.

·
Banned
11,720 Posts
...od light flashing. will have to diagnose after swap i guess.
I wouldn't wait. If you don't already have something like this, now's the time.

<-Clickit

Find out BEFORE you do all that work if there's something wrong with the donor parts.
can i pull motor, tranny, transfercase as 1 or would that be too much to swap. gonna do most of this solo so want to try and let the engine hoist do most of the work if possible.
I'm at that point myself on my '93 Bronco body donor, and I'm toying with the idea of pulling them as a unit. But even with the truck on the ground, AND the core support gone, I'm not sure my HD engine hoist will have the capacity & reach to do it. The E4OD is possibly the longest AND heaviest slushbox ever fitted to a 1/2-ton truck, and the 5.8L is no lightweight, either. It'll make a 4.6L & AODE look like child's play. But I had no choice with the 4.6...

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
the only drivetrain difference i know i that an f150 tcase wil have a slip yoke and the bronco will have a fixed yoke
Dunno if you needed that :shrugs but maybe thatll help ya

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I wouldn't wait. If you don't already have something like this, now's the time.

<-Clickit

I'm at that point myself on my '93 Bronco body donor, and I'm toying with the idea of pulling them as a unit. But even with the truck on the ground, AND the core support gone, I'm not sure my HD engine hoist will have the capacity & reach to do it. The E4OD is possibly the longest AND heaviest slushbox ever fitted to a 1/2-ton truck, and the 5.8L is no lightweight, either. It'll make a 4.6L & AODE look like child's play. But I had no choice with the 4.6...

I pulled the 5.8/E4OD from a wrecked donor F150 for my swap. I had removed what was left of the front clip, no radiator/core support, etc. I decided it would be best to drop the BW1356 TC from underneath. After removing the engine and transmission as a unit I was glad I had. The truck was slightly twisted so this complicated matters a bit, but I don't think the entire assembly would have came out. I was using a front end loader on a 70+HP tractor so weight wasn't the factor just length.

tim

·
Banned
11,720 Posts
I've taken a different tack on mine: I'm just gonna lift the body off first, and then take the drivetrain apart. The only thing left holding the body to the chassis tonight is the t-case shifter bezel & boot - those screws are a nightmare to get out without breaking the bezel. Tomorrow, I'm moving my 2-post hoist to where the Bronco is. I might even get to use the little crane I built in the bed of my dually to lift the engine! :D

. .

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I've taken a different tack on mine: I'm just gonna lift the body off first, and then take the drivetrain apart. The only thing left holding the body to the chassis tonight is the t-case shifter bezel & boot - those screws are a nightmare to get out without breaking the bezel. Tomorrow, I'm moving my 2-post hoist to where the Bronco is. I might even get to use the little crane I built in the bed of my dually to lift the engine! :D

Well that should work too. lol When I was pulling mine :)doh0715:) the truck wouldn't roll very easily due to the wreck damage and one flattening tire. But with the bends I really don't think it all would have made it. I remember it was a pain in the ass because getting bolts out to drop the case was difficult since the truck was damaged. :beer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that would be so much better. I could pull the entier front end off the rolled truck but not sure it would be smart to do with the bronco. prob would never get the panels to line up that good again.

Any idea if transfercase will come out with the motor and tranny as 1 unit. I have to try and pull as much as i can in one weekend so the truck can be removed from the front yard by end of weekend to keep wifey happy! she says 2 drivers and 6 cars is a bit much but is bugging me about a Bronco II for her to tool around in rather than the minivan. go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Any idea if transfercase will come out with the motor and tranny as 1 unit.
That is what Steve83 and I were just discussing? :doh0715:

If the frame, etc isn't bent the transfer case isn't that hard to drop from undrneath. It is just a bit of a pain if things are bent and in the way or interfering.

tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.