Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheers,

When shifting into reverse, there is a slight clunk that sound as if it is coming from the rear diff. I don't notice anything when going down the road and letting off the gas and then hitting the gas again. No obvious noises doing 75 down the highway.

Initially thought ujoints, but had the driveshaft rebuilt by a local shop a month ago. Checked again and all seems tight.

I then jacked the rear and tires of the ground to see if I could check the amount of play. When twisting the rear driveshaft, there seem to be hardly any play with the rear diff. However, there does seem to be more play in the xfer case.

How much play should I expect in the transfer case and rear end? I am thinking about getting the front/rear diffs rebuilt/regeared/truetracs anyways, but want to take care of any other issues first.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You've probably already checked but how does your radius arm bushings look?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've probably already checked but how does your radius arm bushings look?
They look relatively good from a visual...I will double check them though.

When I am stopped in the driveway and stick my head out the open door down low, the clunk sounds like it is coming from the rear. When I put the rebuilt driveshaft on, there was nothing obvious like a loose pinion nut.

·
Registered
14 Posts
More than likely it is either the male/female drivetrain splines or the slip yoke that needs greasing. Apparently it's very common in ford trucks of all kinds.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More than likely it is either the male/female drivetrain splines or the slip yoke that needs greasing. Apparently it's very common in ford trucks of all kinds.
The splines were greased when the rear driveshaft was rebuilt. That fixed the "double clunk or drivetrain movement/binding" I had when coming to a stop and then taking off again.

The current clunk only appears to happen when putting in reverse when at a complete stop.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Just for giggles, git under there with a 12mm and check the flange bolts. I only say this because a clunk has been more noticealble with mine lately, and altough they appeared tight just looking under there, lo and behold, all 4 had backed off just a little. I'm no where near stock like you, but if you just had driveshaft work, if they didn't use locktight and tighten them good, I could very well see this as the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just for giggles, git under there with a 12mm and check the flange bolts. I only say this because a clunk has been more noticealble with mine lately, and altough they appeared tight just looking under there, lo and behold, all 4 had backed off just a little. I'm no where near stock like you, but if you just had driveshaft work, if they didn't use locktight and tighten them good, I could very well see this as the problem.
Had this happen with my mustang after I rebuilt the transmission. Put the driveshaft back in and didn't loctite it, and a week later the bolts were loose. Was making all kinds of noise. At least it turned out to be an easy fix.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While flushing the cooling system today, I checked to make sure the radius bushings and rear drive shaft 12mm flange bolts were tight...appear to be good.

·
Registered
408 Posts
check all your drivetrain mounts

take your driveshaft out, put the rear wheels on the ground and turn the flage on the rear end. i guarantee it will turn a little and make a decent clunk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts