Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one thing that upsets me about my bronco (to my knowledge) is that there is no light that switches on, indicating that I am low on gas when driving. I usually don't let it drop past the red but it would be nice to know in such a case that I have sometime to go before returning to the pumps.

So I am wondering if 96's or any other bronco's came with the gas gauge light? I remember this being discussed several months back but can't find any links... I also remember someone on here who did a write up of their modified indicator light inside their dash.. Any help?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Mine does not have one, but we have a pretty big reserve because when I fill up from the red line it usually takes about 27-28 gallons and our tank size is 32. I see no problem with no gas light, it tells you exactly what the gauge tells you.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
I *think* Steve83 did a tech write up on how to install it, IIRC it's there, just not activated on the instrument cluster.

·
Snow Bunny
841 Posts
Why do you need another idiot light. In my opinion thre is no excuse for letting your gas get that low to begin with. Over the years, you get shit in your gas tank that for the most part settles at the bottom. when you try to run the tank dry, you then try sucking up the sediment. Obviously not your motors favorite thing to do. Just fill the basterd up, then get gas regularly and keep it above the half tank mark. That way if you do end up tight on cash, and have to try and squeeze a little extra you can, without worrying about running dry.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
tell you what, on long trips, i don't want to stop every time my tank gets to half empty. that's a waste of time. i use that idiot light all the time, it's actually very useful, and there's a reason virtually every new car comes with one.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
tell you what, on long trips, i don't want to stop every time my tank gets to half empty. that's a waste of time. i use that idiot light all the time, it's actually very useful, and there's a reason virtually every new car comes with one.
:stupid

Personally, I just like em. Its just something else that says "get your azz to the station and get some gas dummy". When the time comes to replace my fuel pump, I am going to put one in per Steve 83s instructions and will need to fix my fuel level sender at that time as well because right now, mine bounces around like crazy....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being 19 while not having a whole lot of $ is not always a fun thing. I try and save as much $ as I can while also trying to always have a 1/4 tank or more but thats not always the case (but I still love and drive my Bronco everywhere :rockon) as for my case, I would like to know approximately how much longer I can go without any mixed guesses and/ or making another trip to the gas station.

Thanks for the help and the link to Steve's page.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Something you can do (what I do because my gas gauge is messed up) is, fill the truck up, set your tripometer to 0, then run the truck down to half or a quarter tank. Then, fill it back up. Take the number of gallons it takes to fill up and divide that into how many miles you have driven. That gives you your MPG. Now, you have a 33 gallon tank. Take the MPG you get times 33 and that gives you a rough, but fairly accurate gauge as to how many miles you can get on a tank of gas. If you dont fill up, you can take that MPG number times the amount of gas you put in the truck. So, if you get 10 MPG and put in 10 gallons, you can go about 100 miles before you are back where you started. Set you tripometer back to zero and go for 90 and you wont run out :toothless. Its not fool proof, but it helps you keep from running out.....

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Shane, thats what my parents did with our 88 when the gas guage was busted. They rounded down about 1-2MPG to be safe. ONly ran out once.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
if the dude wants a gas light, let him set it up for a gas light. It's his truck. If he wants to paint it screaming yellow and black, you may not like it, but it's his truck.

Stick to the details in the tech section. He wanted to know how to do something, we gave him the answer. It's 80-96 General Tech, not 80-96 My opinion Tech.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts

Umm, because we're all idiots? well, not me of course since I don't have one, and don't need one. On a long trip I look at the gauge and don't let the needle get down to actually being in the red. I don't need another warning light to tell me to watch my gauges.:goodfinge

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
ummm, because we're HUMAN and sometimes, not being perfect, a gentle reminder is a good thing. obviously, the new car designers have it all wrong and this does not apply to you, so congrats :beer:goodfinge

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
ummm, because we're HUMAN and sometimes, not being perfect, a gentle reminder is a good thing. obviously, the new car designers have it all wrong and this does not apply to you, so congrats :beer:goodfinge
you got that right, they definitely do have it all wrong.

That's why I have my bronco and have no desire for a new vehicle.:toothless

·
Registered
826 Posts
I never liked the idiot gas lights, damn things would always come on at 1/2 tank or blink on sharp turns/inclines.
Counting on a light bulb (that may burn out) to tell me when to buy gas = poor planning IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts