Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 XLT with a 5.8 engine. I have had this Bronco since new and it has 150K miles on it. I am wanting to take care of a couple of maintenance issues as I plan to keep this for a while. It looks great, runs great, transmission shifts smoothly, rides fine. I want to have the rear main seal replaced as the leak seems to be getting worse. What would be a reasonable cost to have this done? Would it be a good idea to replace the u-joints due to mileage? I also plan to have the transmission filter and fluid replaced. Is there anything else I should have taken care of while it is pulled apart?

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
When I got my 96 this year with 140000 miles on it I went and serviced everything that can be serviced. Only 2 things I have left is to change the diff oil and inspec the front and rear diff's. I am holding off for those till the fall for a few reasons. 1 I am planing to be installing a 4 inch lift when it gets cooler here in FL. 2 I also want to change out the gears while the front is apart. 3 it's to hot to be doing a all day job in the druveway lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dabranco, I will certainly consider these things. I do most of my maintenance myself. Pulling the tranny is one of those things I would rather not try to undertake. I plan to stop by a talk to my mechanic later this week.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
25,769 Posts
yo;
I agree w/dabranco since the tranny comes out for the main seal job.
Here it is
Installation in a 95 5.8
Source: by TRUCKY18 (Bco) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52700
Trucky wrote; "...This write up is for changing the rear main oil seal. As you can see mine was leaking, not all that bad, but I had the time. This is not a project for the faint of heart, mainly because you have to remove the tranny. Mine being an E4OD it was plenty big and heavy. Yes you have to remove the tranny, I tried a trick one of my friends who is a mechanic suggested and it didn’t work, and actually caused me more work. I learned many things and made several bad mistakes, I will go over them and hopefully by reading this you will not make them..."

&
Installation in a 95 5.8
Source: by Rafael E (Bronkzilla, stressed) at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=5198

Raf wrote; "...i dropped the tranny because i am replacing the torque converter and front pump seal as well..."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts