Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I’m a noob here but have been lurking for a while and have been impressed with all of the great help and advice offered on this site. I’ve tried searching this topic but haven’t found one that directly applies.

After previously being a Bronco owner for many years I’ve recently returned to the club with a ’96 and am sad to say it’s been a disaster for me so far. Though I hope to turn that around.

Shortly after purchasing my ’96 I took it into my trusted local mechanic for front brake work and to investigate a mechanical ticking noise coming from the front end. The mechanic noticed that the front right spindle nut had last been put on cross threaded and seemed to have been put on with the force of an impact wrench. When he proceeded to loosen the nut it broke in two and the spindle thread was badly damaged by the previous application.

Our search began for a spindle and I quickly learned:
1. a ’96 is old enough that Ford doesn’t make this part
2. a ’96 is not yet old enough for the aftermarket to begin making this type of part
3. Ford used at least four types of spindles (w,w/o ABS, w, w/o auto hubs)
4. salvage yards in Texas don’t stock many 4x4 parts – I’m not from here originally so this didn’t even occur to me
5. and buying parts over the phone from salvage yards is a crap-shoot.

My Bronco is one with ABS and came with auto lockers though I’ve now changed them to Warn Premiums. I’m now on my second spindle from a salvage yard and this one seems to be the wrong size (first one was a miss-label). My mechanic says this spindle doesn’t fit the seals correctly. From reading through other FSB posts it sounds like Ford made a spindle just for the ’95-96 model year? The salvage yard I purchased the last spindle from swears this was from a late production ’95. The Bronco has been in the mechanic for three weeks now with all the time lost on shipping spindles around the country:doh0715:. My questions are:

1. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get a spindle to definitely match my Bronco?
2. How many freaking different types of Spindles did Ford make for this thing?!

Any advice offered is appreciated. Thank you!

Neil

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo,
Replacement, Front Wheel & Spindle Installation in a 96; w Links
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200059

Dana 44 Spindle & Seal Part Numbers for 95-96; "...Ford has replaced some of the numbers with seals that are not correct. When I did mine last year (96, not sure how closee to yours), the parts guy new his stuff and said when they crossed some numbers they didn't get it right. I went to five dealers and each had the same problem. Don't go to Pep Boys and get the seals they sell. Even though they are Chicago Rawhide, same as Napa relabel, they are not the better ones. The parts they have are a very cheap version, which may work, but I wouldn't trust. Napa had to order in the 25009, but they got it in a day. As far as seal 3, the one I got new from Ford was one piece, but the one that came out broke into the three pieces. If you get the Ford one, you will see how easy it is to snap apart. Seal 2 is actually a smaller version of seal 6, but the one Ford parts guy said that they don't have a replacement. Fortunately Napa has one. They have one part D3TZ3C132A that they try to sell. It is a metal slinger that could be pressed in place of seal 2, but it has no sealing properties, just a stamped part that looks like a washer with a lip where it slides over the axle. Item 2 is Ford F3TZ1S175BBA Item 3 is FOrd F3TZ1SZ175AA Item 6 is NAPA NOS25009 http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...+-+Front+Wheel Item 7 is Napa NOS23276..."
Source: by Tony R (TonyR) at FSB http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113629&highlight=front+spindle+seal

Dana 44 Spindle & Seal Part Numbers for 95-96; "...Due to a bonehead I let do the balljoints on my 96 last year, I had to replace a spindle on my 96 this year (long story... dont ask). Anyway in the process of trying to locate a new spindle, I learned some things.. First is that if your build date (located on the sticker on the drivers side door striker pillar) is AFTER 05-95 you will have a very hard time sourcing a spindle from a local place ... including the dealer. Neither carquest , napa or any other parts outlet even listed the part... Ford told me that a pre 05-95 spindle was available (at a cost of about 360.00) They told me that there were four post 5-95 build date spindles available as dealer stock.. two were at dealers in wisconsin and two in either ny or nj (dont remember which). Then the parts guy ( friend of mine) told me that they were being sold for 650.00 each because they were "no longer serviced by ford" (ford was no linger getting them from supplier) He then suggested a dana/spicer wholesaler out of Billings, Mt (fairly local to me) called Inland Truck Parts Company. I called Inland. They wanted a bill of material number from my axle (located on a sticker on the back side of the passenger side axle beam... its shown as the "dana part #"). I gave them the number and the guy told me they were still available from dana/spicer. best part was the cost.. $162.00 and change... it cost me 173.00 with three day ups. The dana part # of this spindle is 75304x. Its for 95-96 bronco-f150 w/front abs I got the part in three days , was the correct replacement and had no problems. If you are having problems finding the correct replacement spindle pm me and I can help.. ALso, these spindles come loaded with the correct spindle bearing and spindle seal. There is a seal that is only used on 95-96's ( i think) as well that is located on the axle stub shaft. It is not the metal "slinger" type piece with seal, but a one piece rubber seal that is a primary seal that is seated on the stub shaft and rides on the back side of the spindle. It is a smaller version of the forsheda seal that attaches to the otside of the spindle and rides on the inner wheel hub seal. This seal is ford part # f3tz1s175bba. Again, any questions and pm me , I will try to help cause I know these newer parts are confusing and hard to find..."
Source: by b wojo at FSB http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43437

======

Miesk5 note
Inland Truck Parts Company

or at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard
Item #32084 - New
Dana/Spicer Spindle
1994 Ford Bronco with front ABS
Please check your B.O.M # in full description

OEM Spindle for ABS brakes.
1994 Bill Of Material #'s:
610447-3
610447-9
610447-10
1996.5 Bill Of Material #'s
610608-1
610608-2
For 1994 & 1996.5 with single hub seal.
Also recommend spindle nuts and washer kit and new spindle studs and nuts.
Our Price: $115.00

& Check NAP for pn NB 4886677

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miesk5 - Thank you for the information. My hopes were really up when I saw the info on Inland Truck Parts. I called and unfortunately they can no longer get that part. The spindle that Bronco Graveyard has is for single seal hubs while I need a double seal hub.

I did get a spindle off of a Bronco that must have been manufactured before 5/95 as the diameter is 2.5 inches and I need a spindle with a diameter of 2.3 inches.

So I guess I have three options:
- continue searching salvage yards for a spindle that Ford used for 13 months
- try and figure out which seals fit the spindles made prior to 5/95 to see if I can use the spindle I have on my Bronco
- consider buying a Dana 44 axle and swapping the whole thing in. Problem is I don’t have any way to get one to where the Bronco is.

Still fishing for ideas…… thanks!

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
93-96 had 4WABS. There is no spindle difference between auto and manual hubs. What you could do is get a set of older spindles (say 93 or 94) and use the 1 piece seal instead of the 2 piece. Different part numbers but it should get you back on the road.

I came close to ruining my driver side spindle a few weeks ago, I was lucky and able to salvage it. Now I'm on the lookout for a set of 96 spindles at the yard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
93-96 had 4WABS. There is no spindle difference between auto and manual hubs. What you could do is get a set of older spindles (say 93 or 94) and use the 1 piece seal instead of the 2 piece. Different part numbers but it should get you back on the road.

I came close to ruining my driver side spindle a few weeks ago, I was lucky and able to salvage it. Now I'm on the lookout for a set of 96 spindles at the yard.
Thanks - that's an interesting idea. So say if I was to buy the single hub spindles from Bronco Graveyard:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32084-oem-d44-bronco-spindle-with-abs-brake.html

Where would I source the single seal and get a part number? Also is there anything else I would be missing - I mean are there any other possibilities of parts that wouldn't be compatible?

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
no they will work you just need to remember when you order parts so you get the correct seals. some may not have the abs sensor spot on them.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Just have the counter man give you the seals for a 93 or 94, instead of a 96. Hell, when I ask for a 96 hub seal I will still get the 1 pc. If you want the part number, search around and I'm sure you can find the part # for the 1 pc seal.

That one in your link should work, has the slot for the abs sensor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after another day calling around salvage yards with no luck I got hold of a machine shop in Spring, TX and took the original spindle in there. They worked on it for a while and got the threads to a good enough condition where we could get the new nut on.

Got the truck back together this morning and it seems to drive fine so far except now the ABS light is on for some reason.... As you can see in the picture below the spindle is damaged where the bearing sits so hopefully this will work for the long term. Any experience driving with a spindle like this?

This picture of spindles was originally posted by Steve83 and I found it very helpful. At the risk of disagreeing with a Bronco expert my research with buying more spindles than I care to have, indicates that the middle spindle was used much later than ’94. The spindle I need is the one of the right.

Picture of double seal that is causing the issue in finding a match:

So ran my axle BOM 610608-2 by a very helpful Dana Yukon dealer and they think it matches spindle 75304 (as another FSB member indicated in another thread) BUT all of the internet adds for this product say it doesn’t work for a ’96 Bronco. According to the guy I’ve been speaking with mine is a ’96.5 Bronco (manufactured 4/96). So did Ford change things up again???

So think I’ve got the old spindle to work at least for now and seem to have a lead on a replacement, which I’m going to buy for a spare.

Thanks to all those who posted replies and hopefully the pictures above will help someone else. And now onto the ABS light.....

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Looks like you need to invest in a good brass hammer, then you wont mar up your spindles. I bought mine at napa for around $40. You could also take some emory cloth to that one and clean up the damaged area's to make bearing instalation a little easier.

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Check the air gap for the abs sensor on that side. If the rotors studs were knocked out the tone ring got moved so the air gap could possiblely be off. btw those spindles are a pain in the ass to find. My old spindle was an 80's spindle (6 studs one on left) drilled to match the 5 stud knuckle pattern.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update to help anyone who may have this issue in the future. - The Dana 75304 is not a match and is on it's way back to the dealer. I'm still going to try and find a match though my original one with the repaired thread seems to be holding up.

On the ABS light - it now goes on and off when ever it wants. I've left it alone for the past week but this weekend am going to get around to checking the air gap.

Here's a picture of the 75304. If you compare it the the picture above with the three spindles you can see the 75304 is the one in the middle. Still searching for the elusive one on the right...

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Why won't it work?
If I go to a jy this weekend I will look to see if I can find one for you.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Long story short, I have already gone through your EXACT problem trying to find a correct spindle for my 96. That picture posted of the three spindles together, I ordered what was supposed to be a 96 from jbg, but got the one in the middle, for the 91-94. Not sure if you were having this problem with using the wrong spindle, but mine was destroying the inside of my warn locking hub, since the entire hub was sitting too far in with the incorrect spindle. It would start fine, then get loose after some driving and eat up the back seal of my locking hub. Solution: Hack sawed off a 1/4-1/2 of the end of the spindle with the nut already on. Sprayed the heck out of it with wd40, and slowly backed the nut off and on till it was going on fine. Bolted everything back up, problem solved. Didn't have to find the correct 96 spindle :rockon I should also note that my abs is removed, so didn't have to mess around with that.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
For your ABS problem, pull the codes before you go snatching the entire hub off again. Could be something else.

·
Registered
267 Posts
On the outside edge of the spindle is a number stamped into the metal , thats the number you want to use to get the correct spindle for the rig. I know its back on but if you can post that number I will get the exact dana/spicer number you need.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why won't it work?
If I go to a jy this weekend I will look to see if I can find one for you.
Basically the whole hub/rotor assembly is an incorrect fit for the different spindle. The seals, one of the bearings, etc are different sizes.

I could replace the whole assembly but that takes me back to the problem of not having access to many 4x4 jy parts in Houston. Plus I know enough about cars to be dangerous but wouldn't be sure I'd pulled all the correct parts.

If you do see a spindle like the one I need please let me know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yo, Here is the Ford Model 44 /216 IFS Front Axles
by Dana via http://www.rsgear.com/catalogs/Diff/Dana_Ford_44.pdf
See page 136
BOMs:
610446 610447 610607 610608
then line each BOM w;
#16 Spindle Assembly (inc 48, 49, 50) -
5303X 75304X 75303X 75304X
Thanks - the crazy thing is my BOM is 610608, which implies the 75304 but the 75304 is clearly the earlier spindle. The Dana supplier I was working with now tells me I need the 75303 which is impossible to find.

So either the Dana database is incorrect or my spindle was changed at some point. Both the axle and VIN are 4/96 so the axle is more than likely original. I have two buddies that worked as mechanics at Ford dealers and they both say that Ford did change to the spindle I have in late '95 so maybe the Dana database is incorrect or my truck is a freak.

Thanks for the link though - that is helpful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Me thinks I have 2 sets of them in the shed, 1 set form my 96 Bronco and the 96 Bronco I bought for salvage. But I'm way up here in NB Canada.
If you're sure you have the ones I need please send me a picture. I'm more than interested!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts