Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 bronco with an eod auto 4 speed trans, it has a 9 inch lift and 36 inch tsl's and i had the brilliant idea to take it through a pond behind a friends house. driving through with no problem i hit a deep hole that sunk it to the windows and the 5 other full size trucks with me couldnt pull it out. after calling a friend of mine who has a wrecker to get it out the engine started fine the next day but the trans will not shift past 2nd gear, it will shift into 2nd but not past it. i changed the nuetral safety switch because they said it might help but of course it didnt so now i think it may be the valve body. any suggestions on whats wrong?... dont have the money to take it to a trans shop right now

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
Lots of stuff could be wrong with it. Check the fluid and see what the level is. It could be full of water and therefore, overfilled. First thing I would do is drain the trans and replace the fluid and internal filter (and flush the cooler and cooler lines). Next, the MLPS could be wet and damaged. Check and replace. Also, the harness on the solenoid pack could have water in it and be causing problems as well. Check, dry and reconnect.

You sunk it and didnt take the necessary steps before starting/driving it to ensure it would be okay. It may be fawked now...

You should also service the transfercase and differentials before you get into more trouble....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i pulled it out the trans fluid was pinker than pepto but i changed it 4 or 5 times and i swaped filters, i changed the fluid in the differentials also which was thicker than mud, i dried all the plugs and sprayed em down with ether. it still locks in 4wd (surprisingly) thanks for the specifics on it tho. im gonna go check into it

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
It is possible that the trans took on water while you were driving through the pond and while trying to get the truck out. It could have been damaged before you even got it out of the water. Did you change the fluid before starting/drivign the truck? If you are sure the fluid is good now, and at the proper level, look to the MLPS as a possiblity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts