Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 96 bronc that won't let me shift out of park. I replaced the back up switch and still nothing. It works fine if I crawl under it and shift it right on the tranny but that is getting old. I found a small leak on a sensor atop the brake master cylinder and I'm starting to wonder if thats whats jacked up. It looks like some type of pressure switch. Think it might not be letting me shift out of park because of the leak on that sensor?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
on 96's do you have to press the brake pedal in order to shift out of park? if so maybe this mechanism is the culprit...

i've had problems before on my '82 though where the linkage got jacked up and wouldn't work (it would bind, etc) once it's out of park, does it shift through the other gears normally?

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,069 Posts
on 96's do you have to press the brake pedal in order to shift out of park? if so maybe this mechanism is the culprit...
:stupid

Check to see if you have working brake lights. Also, check to see if you've have the cruise control recall done as well.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I had a 91 that would start and not shift out of park, it had a little cast rod broke in half and i had to pull the ignition switch to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
25,841 Posts
yo, I agree with SACKMAN!

Shift Lever Stuck in Park (pic is gone); "...These (and many other) vehicles are equipped with a Brake/Shifter interlock for safety. This system requires the driver to hold the brake depressed before the shift lever can be moved from the Park position. There is an actuator (solenoid) on the left side of the steering column under the dash that disengages the shifter lock when the brake is depressed. In the event this system malfunctions, the shift lever may be stuck in the Park position. One cause of this complaint may be due to a faulty brake switch circuit. If you experience this complaint always check for blown fuses and brake light switch operation before proceeding with other work.
Source: by ATC-Distribution Group Inc. atcdg.com via web.archive.org

Vehicle Can be Shifted Out of PARK , Short Circuits, Common Locations TSB 95-02-11 on 94-95 Bronco & Trucks
Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/470456_1
Altho it's not for a 96; sometimes...............

and get the CC work done ASAP! Some fires have occured; DO NOT PARK it close to house or in garage!

Recall for 94-02 F-150, 97-02 Expedition, 98-02 Lincoln Navigators & 94-96 Bronco NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05V017000; Recall Date JAN 27, 2005 (search for 05V017000 in "Safety Recalls)' ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND PICKUP TRUCKS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN THIS CONDITION COULD LEAD TO A FIRE. FIRES HAVE OCCURRED WHILE THE VEHICLES WERE PARKED WITH THE IGNITION 'OFF.' AS AN INTERIM REPAIR, OWNERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN THEIR VEHICLES TO THEIR DEALERS TO HAVE THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH DISCONNECTED. AS SOON AS REPLACEMENT PARTS ARE AVAILABLE (EARLY APRIL 2005), OWNERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO RETURN TO THE DEALERS FOR INSTALLATION OF A NEW SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. (NOTE: ALSO SEE RECALLS 05V388 AND 06V286) FORD RECALL NO. 05S28. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Source: by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration nhtsa.dot.gov

Recall Update; Field Service Action 05S28 Speed Control System Modification Supplement #7 for 94-96 Bronco, 94-02 F-150/250 (Under 8500 GVW), 97- 02 Expedition, 98-02 Navigator, 02 Blackwood
Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/505128_1

Recall; Fused Jumper Harness (14A411) pic; "List price on this is ~$11 (as of the date I posted the pic), but it will be installed at NO CHARGE (parts or labor) on vehicles covered by the recall. Even though the label is wrong about the fuse being internal, it should still NEVER be replaced. If it blows, it means the brake pressure switch is leaking, and (as the label states) should be replaced with the new switch & adapter harness kit, listing for ~$20 right now..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/271243_1

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,069 Posts
I went and got the recall fixed, but i guess there is a brake light switch on the pedal?
Yes there is.......but these rarely malfunction. Not saying they don't malfunction. Check the fuse. Chances are the cruise control popped the fuse as they are on the same circuit.

·
Super Moderator
25,841 Posts
yo!
re; "I replaced the back up switch and still nothing." Was the switch you replaced da Manual Lever Position/Transmission Range (MLP/TR) Sensor?
& this is related to:
"It works fine if I crawl under it and shift it right on the tranny but that is getting old." hmmmm.. I smell a MLPS adjustmt is in order.. so I have to rule out that both brake lights etc are burned out/stolen or whatever. But I have to go with SACKMAN9975 and TEST the Brake Light Switch and Fuse because these are EZ checks,

EDIT Look at the Wirng Diagram by Steve at the end on this reply.

ok, sos w/COMCAST here is da woods... I keep getting "NOT CONNECTED warnings..so; see my site for MLPS @ http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=846

Look at & Click on the Hot Links there for:
pic w/Alignment Marks (from a Mercury, but similar)
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Adjustment Info in a 92
Source: by Richard C (Bigric, Money Pit) at FSB
Adjustment Info; "...back-probe the MLP line with a volt meter while in Park, and set it to between 4.277 and 4.736 volts (ideally at 4.5065V, right in the middle of the two limits). As a "double-check" afterward, pull the lever down to 1st gear, and again test the MLP voltage; it should be between 0.293 and 1.167 volts, ideally in the middle at 0.73V..."
Source: by SigEpBlue (Steve) at FSB

Test, Pin-Point in 92-96; from Ford EVTM; "...The negative lead of the multimeter should be placed at the MLPS signal-return ground terminal at the MLPS. Check the resistance of the MLPS: The resistance of the MLPS (pins 30 and 46).." read more
Source: by Ford via alldata & justanswer.com
Connector Pin-Out Diagrams
Source: by Ryan M (FireGuy50) at fordfuelinjection.com
Connector Pin-Out Diagrams
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Connector Re-Pining; "...according to the connector instruction sheet that came with the new connector. wires positions by circuit # are exactly the same from old to new. there is no mention of wire color. the wires are designated by circuit # so basically one at a time take each wire out.... and put it in the same place it came out of on the new connector..."
Source: by thePUNISHER (Paul) at FSB

Installation in 96 Bronco and F Series, from Workshop Manual
Source: by Ford via thedieselstop.com

Water Intrusion of Manual Lever Position (MLPS) also called Transmission Range (TR) Sensor TSB 95-2-12 for 89-94; Some vehicles may exhibit a shift concern and/or a harsh engagement concern due to water intrusion into the MLP/TR sensor and vehicle harness. There may also be a number of different DTC's along with those concerns
Source: by Ford via miesk5 at cc

& DA MACK DADDY (see the Brake ON-OFF Switch?.. test that for continuity/power before pulling da fri...ing MLPS ot whatever.

Wiring Diagrams in a 96 Bronco & F 150
Source: by Ford via Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

·
Super Moderator
25,841 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts