Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks -

If you've been following the boards lately, I'm sure you've seen a lot of posts from me asking random questions here and there. The Bronco is finally starting to come together, so I figured I'd start a thread to show the before and after, and keep track of it all. I guess you could call this a build, but it's been mainly little things and working to clean up a lot of the details.

I bought a 1996 XLT back in December that was in overall good shape. It has most of the things I wanted, the main parts being a 351, manual t-case, and cloth seats. I really wanted a two tone, so I put it in the plans to get her painted. I dropped her off at the body shop last week with the intention of only getting the stripe painted, but through a happy accident, I ended up getting a full paint job. I think it turned out great. I replaced all of the exterior trim, emblems, and lights for a look as close to new as you can get.

Enough talk.... on to the pictures.

When I bought it - 4" lift and 33" all terrains

Swapped to a 6" lift and 35's

New LED taillights

Getting ready for paint

Nearly complete (missing pinstripes and the nFab steps that are in the garage)

Next on the list is axle gears.... the Detroit Truetracs were delivered today. I'm going with 4.88s (on the advice of this board). I have headers, a new Y pipe, and muffler/tailpipe sitting in the garage as well. I've been putting those off because I just don't want to mess with the headers. I need to get around to it though. After that, I should be about done for this year. Hoping to spend more time driving around this summer than wrenching. I do have a matching spare though that I need to build a bumper mounted carrier for though.....

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Looks great man! looks like you got a solid truck to start with, keep us posted on the improvements! I want to go 4” and 35’s but just not practical if i cant commit to a gear swap, so she will stay 2” leveling and 33’s. Kudos too you for diving in deep and making both the monetary and labor intensive comitment.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Bronco looks great! I really like that two tone color scheme. Are those Pro-comp wheels or mickey Thompson?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bronco looks great! I really like that two tone color scheme. Are those Pro-comp wheels or mickey Thompson?
Wheels are Pro Comp. Truck came with 10" wide wheels and I wanted narrower, so when they had a decent sale before Christmas, I jumped on them. I would have preferred BFG or Goodyear tires, but Mickey Thompson was one of the only manufacturers that offered white letter tires in this size, so they got my money. I'm a sucker for the white letters!

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
I agree, I think white letters look great on these trucks. My next set of tires will be BFG KO2s with the white letters out. I like the narrow wheel (8" I presume) look as well. Very nice

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What happened to the 33 all terrains and 4 inch lift stuff? Two tone paint looks great!
I've got the 4" lift springs and blocks behind the garage (trying to sell on CL). The tires and rims sold quickly... they were brand new (previous owner put them on just to sell it).

I agree, I think white letters look great on these trucks. My next set of tires will be BFG KO2s with the white letters out. I like the narrow wheel (8" I presume) look as well. Very nice
BFG is now making the KO3.... they don't come with white letters in 35"! Couldn't find any KO2s in stock, and the Mickey Thompsons were $200 cheaper, so..........

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
I've got the 4" lift springs and blocks behind the garage (trying to sell on CL). The tires and rims sold quickly... they were brand new (previous owner put them on just to sell it).

BFG is now making the KO3.... they don't come with white letters in 35"! Couldn't find any KO2s in stock, and the Mickey Thompsons were $200 cheaper, so..........
Yea that's a no brainer, I think youre thinking of the KM3 though. The new mud terrain. Either way, I prefer white letters!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right on the BFGs... all I know is that I was disappointed and irritated that they didn't offer white letters!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a mishmash of lifts.... the truck had a Rough Country 4" lift on it when I got it. I left all of the brackets and shocks in place and put in 6" Deaver springs. I'll eventually go long arm, but other projects are taking priority, so it'll be a while before I pull that trigger.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts