Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the magnaflow Y-pipe and cat from JBG for my 96 with 5.0. i thought this was suppose to only have a single 3-stage cat but to me it looks like 2 cats. the Y has a honeycomb in it like a cat at least and then theres the cat i nthe back with the air tube on it. also it has an O2 sensor bung on the front of it but my O2 sensors are on the manifolds but as expected, is missing the bung for my second O2 sensor that checks the cat is working.

my questions are:
1: do i just put a plug in the O2 bung since i dont use it or should i put my 2nd O2 sensor in it?

2: idk much about backpressure but i heard that some is needed to create more torque. will this first cat create enough backpressure to where i can just put a pipe in place of the second or should i jsut keep the second on?

3. do i need to weld a bung for my 2nd O2 sensor or can i jsut leave it unplugged without the CEL being on?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed the mag on my 96 5.0 last month. I have 3 o2 sensors. One on each manifold and one after the first stage cat (@ the y-pipe). I installed the third sensor @ the y-pipe and it works just fine w/no CEL.

I also didn't use the second stage cat since I did the smog delete. I used a piece of 21/2" pipe to get past the x-member, then used a 28" thrush glass pack the a turndown. Love the sound and performance! Idles quiet as a kitten and roars like a lion when you punch it!

Only issue I had was the clearance @ the passenger side downpipe I believe where the motor and trans. meet (M5 trans).

Hope this helps

·
Man of endless projects
9,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet. ya my has the 2 on each manifold but being there different banks but still considered sensor 1, i jsut say there the first sensor. i was kinda worried bout that CEL if i put that sensor there but i guess worse happens ill jsut plug it and weld a bung for it. i jsut always had a backpressure problem. my trucks always ran soo much more torquey with there full exhaust intact. taking my cats or even muffler off i could feel less power. anways ill find out then i get it all done and all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes I know what you mean about losing torque. I put long tubes on my 79 f-150 with a wore out 302. Big mistake. Sounds good but what was once a dog became an even bigger dog!

I forgot to mention that I had to extend the 4 wires to the o2 sensor that I put in the y-pipe. It was awfully close, but I wanted to allow for flex, etc.

With my current magnaflow set-up, I gained noticable performance improvements througout the low and mid-range power band. Then, I performed the 6litre and well, you know the rest!:rockon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts