Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
So here is a better picture of the rake.

I am going to look at getting new front springs to address it. It's enough that it bothers me.

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
I just scrolled through this entire post..... wow..... You made my literal dream Bronco.
Thanks for taking the time to read our build thread and for your nice comment!

If you need advice or additional info on anything we have done, drop me a PM. I'm happy to help
Thanks again..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to read our build thread and for your nice comment!

If you need advice or additional info on anything we have done, drop me a PM. I'm happy to help
Thanks again..
I appreciate it. I have a 94 up in NW Nebraska right now at a friends body shop. I am looking to find a donor one with less rust to send to him so he can work on it until I get settled in down here in Dallas and get a garage.

95% of the projects you did are way over my head, but I think I found a couple I can do without having to pay someone.

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #306

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
So a quick update (this is really me, not my son lol) As I mentioned I am scraping the idea of coil spacers. I am now looking at the Dever 5.5" coils. They list out at 23" unsprung. My question is does anyone have them installed? I am curious what they measure under load. I realize that my front end is probably heavier than most, so it will be all relative.

I have such tight tolerances in my garage that I really need to plan this out to the 1/4" or I won't be able to get it in and out anymore

Any have them and mind measuring for me? ( will post this in the general board area as well)

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Deaver Springs

So these came in the mail last night:

Oh Boy, do they look tall...

Txs @cstrike for helping me with all the measurements. It will be a while before I get them installed. My son is super busy with College and it's a father-son project!

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Deaver Coils

I talked my son into coming home for the weekend so we could do some Bronco work..

All setup:

Coils from the front

Couple of views from in the garage outside was too hard to get any good pics:

Coil comparision:

Tearing into it:

New height

Old ride height:

New problem\opportunity is that my shocks are now too short. Give me recommends on new ones. Nearest I measure I can go 26 1/2" at full drop

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #311 (Edited)
higher I go

Even with the new coils the Bronco was still not sitting level. Yes, it was driving me nuts.

I took the plunge and bought these coil spacers off eBay
Coil spacers:

It kind of sucks having to keep going back in to do this but I made the most of it and installed some longer brake lines. I did have the rough country extended brake lines in from my original lift but even those were too short. New extended brake lines:

As with any good project, you change one thing and it ripples into a dozen others. My Rancho shocks were also too short. New rear shocks Bilstein 5125's. Its hard for me to get used to the boots being on the bottom:

The front all set up. Boy was the alignment shot. I had to install some 2-degree bushings to even get it to the point that the tire store could have a shot at it:

A few poser shots:

Wow is there a lot of room in there now, 37's? (kidding):

I am still waiting for the front shocks, math is hard for me and I somehow managed to order the wrong ones. But she does FINALLY sit level, even nose high by 1/4", which should go away after a bit of settling. Lastly yes, it still fits in the garage.

Last pic at the tire shore after getting aligned. The drive down there was terrible, tires chirping and it felt like the emergency brake was on the whole way. At least it was less than 1/4 mile away

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
New Pitman Arm

Seems that the ripple effect keeps going and going.

After getting it aligned, the steering felt super tight, almost bound up. Pretty quickly I realized that the pitman arm was just too short for the new lift height. I will tell you that there are only about 3 places that sell an arm for 8" of lift and they are all super proud of them. As in $250+ proud. Lucky for me I found a used one for sale in the classifieds here for a much more reasonable price.

It was a bit rusty when it arrived, but I hit with the sander and a quick coat of paint.

4" arm vs 8"

Old setup

My free puller..

All installed:

Its down at the alignment shop (again) today getting the toe fixed.

I sure hope (fingers crossed) this is the last of the "hey let's do a shackle flip" projects.. lol

·
Ford-a-Holic
3,952 Posts
Looking good!
Not sure how the other guys feel about it, but I have had really good luck with the Super Runner steering with the 4" Pitman arm and my way too much lift. They run about $325, cheaper than the 6'' pitman arm.

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Looking good!
Not sure how the other guys feel about it, but I have had really good luck with the Super Runner steering with the 4" Pitman arm and my way too much lift. They run about $325, cheaper than the 6'' pitman arm.
Thanks!

That Super Runner setup looks nice!

Hindsight is always 20/20. I might go a different route if I knew where I was ending up at. I did get the 8" arm for pretty cheap, so I am nowhere near $325 into it.

I took it out yesterday and steering is pretty much back to normal, or as normal as a lifted truck can be..lol

Now I have a rear main and timing cover seal leaks I need to deal with at some point. sigh

·
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Tool holder

Its been awhile since I updated here. I noticed I have not added this to my build thread:

I have been getting more and more involved in the rescue group and having my hand tools rattling around in the back was getting old. So- I cam up with this solution:

I bought a prefabbed tool holder set that was originally design to go on a roof rack and modified it to sit behind my spare tire. Getting the brace welded on:

All setup:

One big flaw with this design is that when you take off the support plate both tools fall down. Thus, it takes two sets of hands to get the tools on and off. I really want to be able to do this solo and be able to access tools one at a time. I wen back to the aftermarket world and found these rubber clamps.

As with anything custom, I had to do some engineering to get them to work with my setup.
They were too thick to work with my setup so I cut them down and then added some sheet metal reinforcement to the back so they would keep their structure.

Tools all setup:

From the back:

rearview mirror:

So far I am really happy with it. now to find a place for my Maxtraxs

·
Registered
444 Posts
301 - 317 of 317 Posts