Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, this will NOT work on a 92-96 with the accordian frame.
The 04-up F-150 Towhooks are very similar as well, if not the exact same pieces.
These are what they look like, I also got the nut bracket from the inside of the F-150 frame:

Front of the frame with the swaybar gone:

You have to enlarge one hole a little bit to get the bolt to go through it:

Then bolt them on.
Passenger side:

Driver's Side

Finished product:

The hooks almost look factory. They are on perfectly straight in that pic, the bumper was off by a little bit when I took that pic but I fixed that afterwards.
I had my friend tow me around my neighborhood and up steep hills to see if they work well and they do!

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy351 said:
looks good, only problem i forsee is you will hit them on stuff. but someday when that bumper is gone you can mount them to the side of the frame and that will be :imp:
Yeah I figured when I go custom, I'll have something to hit them on. So far I don't do much that wild, I just wanted these to get unstuck from the mud, rather than getting yanked from the ass via the hitch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I picked up a pair off a '01 F150 at a local junkyard today, $20, included stock hardware. The brackets were a little rusty and didn't quite fit flush in the boxed frame. I used 1/2" grade 8 nuts and bolts and lock washers along with washers from front and rear swaybar removal. I sanded the hoops with 60 grit and painted with DupliColor truck bed lining. I still have the plastic trim under the bumper, I cut to fit around hooks. Thanks for the suggestion.:beer

And for the rear, Warn reciever with shackle.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know but I've never seen aftermarket tow hooks this thick. I bet that the grade 8 bolts would break well before the hook would.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
^^^^exactly what i was talking about. put 'em in front of the crush zone and cut the bumper. you just have to take the bumper off to tighten the bolts since the frame is boxed.

or am i still not on par?

·
Banned
38,667 Posts
If he pulled hard enough to bend a fully boxed 2-layer '92-96 frame horn (even with the crumple zone), he'd have ripped an older straight frame horn clean off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts