Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, I am in WI, the expedition is in TX, do I unfortunately cannot look at anything or take pictures, just hope someone here knows something about them.

Apparently while towing, or some time after towing a trailer, my sister's expedition's read in started sagging and has now stopped with the tires just touching or damn close to, the rear wheel wells. I have never gotten to take a look at hers, it is a 97, 4.6l xlt. Does it have rear air bags for the suspension? If not, what could this be? Sprung springs? Any info would be helpful, I have no manuel for it and have been having trouble finding much about this online tonight.

Thank you.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
I know the navigators were air suspension, but I'm pretty sure the expys were leaf sprung just like the 150's

Adrianspeeder

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
i dont think the expis were bagged. if not then sounds like you done sprung some springs. good luck and let us know

·
Registered
559 Posts
They were not leaf sprung, They were coil with eddie bauers having an availible air suspension I believe. But I am 100% sure they were not leaf sprung.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
It should have Leveling System for the rear. May have to check that out. With added weight in the rear it automaticaly levelizes the rear. The switch may be bad and not allowing it to return to normal.

·
My Ass Is A...
986 Posts
There are 2 options in 97...Coil Spring vs air bag...

If it is coil sprung and broke a spring or mount it would have been instantaneous...since it was gradual, I'm betting on damage to the air bag system. just my .02...not much help...

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hell of alot better off then i was 2 horus ago, thanks for all the info. My dumb ass should have tried to look before i loaded it on the trailer and straped it down, but it was pitch black and time was damn short. Thanks again.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
rugerp89ipsc said:
I am in WI, the expedition is in TX.
rugerp89ipsc said:
hell of alot better off then i was 2 horus ago, thanks for all the info. My dumb ass should have tried to look before i loaded it on the trailer and straped it down....

How in the world did you make it from WI to TX in 2 hrs. lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
The expedition came with coil springs or optinal air bags and shocks. My mom's expedition has the air bags in back and the air shocks in front. The way you can tell other than by looking is too listen for the compressor to come on. It will adust from only one person sitting in the car. If you hear the compressor then obviosly you have the air suspention. Hope this helps!

-matt

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Those bags only last about 4 or 5 years before they start leaking. The good news is that they aren't all that expensive. Less than $100 each if you don't buy them from Ford...

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alrighty, definately the airbags, he found the compressor, damn tight spot apparently. Does anyone know where i can run down a schematic of the lines and wiring for this? Do they make a Haynes manuel for these?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Sorry to be so off topic but does anyone know where the computer is located
on a 1997 expedition?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts