1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have kind of a strange problem.

1) Battery reads 12.5 volts.
2) I've checked all the fuses

The problem is, is that the car won't start. You turn the key, it gets power for a split second, and then dies. No a single thing in the car has power at this point, not even the dome lights. Sometimes you can slam a door, and the power 'magically' returns to everything. But as soon as you turn that key, power drops and desapears, car won't start. I've gone through with a test light to every connection I can find, I can't fnd any wires that are loose.

-You can pop the clutch to get it to start.

Is this a starter problem? If so, why doesn't anything in the car get power when you try to start? I check the battery immediately after tryign to start, still reading 12.5 volts. Any ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
hows the wires leading from the battery look? my tc had this issue, and the wired were corroded, not making a good enough connection, also could be grimy terminals. just a thought

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regentselite said:
hows the wires leading from the battery look? my tc had this issue, and the wired were corroded, not making a good enough connection, also could be grimy terminals. just a thought
Thanks. Battery was replaced less than 4 months ago, and look clean at the terminals. The cables actually look brand new:banghead maybe I should replace those anyways.

·
Registered
33 Posts
try the connection to the fuse box under the hood? my friends 96 SL2 had a degrading wire connection there, and he lost power every now and then because of it. could be if you slam the door like you said, make a better connection by movement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Since it doesn't have power now try moving the wires around under the dash by the fuse block to see if it comes back on. Then if that works you could narrow them down one by one. How about the main plug in the firewall, there is one isn't there, that feeds everything inside. Maybe it has come loose. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts