Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a line on a cheap running van from work. E250, v6, panels all the way around except for windows on all the doors. The rockers are rusty, but most of the rest is in good shape. Has 130k on the clock and still runs well, but the front end needs completely rebuilt.

I also have a 96 Dana 60 front axle from my burnt f350. It obviously needs fully rebuilt as well, but I kept it because it still looked solid and still has its full load of gear lube in it. The 7.3 above said axle was still full of oil as well so I know it didn't get too hot. That part of the shop didn't catch fire until after the fire dept showed up.

This leads me to my questions. I obviously need a transfer case, and a way to mount it which is not a problem. Just wanted to know if anyone has any pointers or things to do or not to do. I'll post a build thread if it happens.

All constructive comments welcome. I plan on using it as a camping type vehicle and trying to do it as cheap as possible while still being reliable. I know there is a current 2wd to 4x4 build being done now and I'm gonna read through it later.

·
Man of endless projects
8,773 Posts
they are. my dad/boss was a firm believer in small engine = better gas mileage so he always bought the V6 versions. after showing him how all the weight we carry in them is killing the engines and straining the suspension we finally got E350 with 5.4s. what a world of difference, its no longer slow and the leaf springs are no longer reverse arched when loaded. we have an 02 E250 4.2 v6 for sale i REALLY wanted to do a 4x4 conversion on it also but man that v6 is soo underpowered. the tranny has some issues. also the rear axle is semi-floating D60 thats had issues. be easier finding a new van

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had thought of coils but my potential donor axle was leaf sprung so that may be easier if the perches line up. Yeah the v6 is a bit under powered, but it still has comparable power and torque to any factory Bronco. 220hp, 250 tq. I've had it loaded with 200 gallons of paint without a hiccup.

I'm pretty sure it's a ff 10.25. It looks like one, but I'd have to check.

Transmission is in great shape. I could convert it to a 4wd output or put a divorced transfer case on. Ujoint off-road has all the parts available that I can't make, including a manual shift transfer case adapter.

I'd be getting this van for under a grand. As i said above it has a death wobble from 45-55mph and the driver's door and fender need replaced. Rust caused it to drop and not open without crunching the fender.

·
Man of endless projects
8,773 Posts
most of the E250 with the V6 were light duty and had the SF D60. the upside is they have have disk brakes. the heavier duty versions had the FF 10.25" with drums. i used a E250 D60 axle under my previous 96 Bronco and is now under my 88 because it was factory disk and 4.10 gears and its been great. not sure which lockers would work with it however being SF

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
most of the E250 with the V6 were light duty and had the SF D60. the upside is they have have disk brakes. the heavier duty versions had the FF 10.25" with drums. i used a E250 D60 axle under my previous 96 Bronco and is now under my 88 because it was factory disk and 4.10 gears and its been great. not sure which lockers would work with it however being SF
I'll take a closer look on Monday. I just know it looks like the Sterling's I've had, but I haven't really inspected it and don't know if it's drums or discs. It was made 8/99 so i guess it would be a 2000 model correct?

Anybody know of a reasonable place to purchase d60 front parts, like shafts, diff carriers, spindles, etc? I've looked at jbg, just want to know my options. I had a good experience with Ventures Truck Parts on eBay buying my d50 stub shaft but it was a used part. I'd rather use new if I can.

·
I'd rather be sleeping
665 Posts
JBG are competitive on their d60 parts pricing. I typically buy from them or East Coast Gear Supply.
The rear in the van should be a Dana 60. Semi or full float.
If doing a leaf swap I would suggest 99-04 super duty leaf springs. The front hanger will be pretty far forward on the van, but you should be able pull it off. I used F150 springs and they wrap pretty bad and the SD springs likely wouldn't have.

·
Registered
787 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I did a bit of research. The tranny should be a 4r70w and the rear is supposed to be a d60 SF, but it has drum brakes which goes against what kingfish said. It has 3.73 gears from the axle tag.

The 4.2l v6 has 200 HP and 250 ft/lbs and oddly has a sbf bellhousing pattern. I'd love to put a zf5 in this thing but idk what that would do to the computer, not to mention sourcing a third pedal for a van and fitting it in the tiny pedal area.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yup, mentioned them in post 5. They have some really nice stuff. I'll most likely get the transmission adapters from them.
Yeah I missed that...should wear my glasses more. Look forward to your build.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
If you go manual, you'll need a 4.2 computer from a pickup with manual trans. The thing that p!ssed me off about the switch to a V6 was that Ford was supposed to make an SOHC Modular V6, but for whatever reason, they didn't, and jumped all over the 4.2. It has problems with the EGR (pull the valve off and blow carb cleaner and compressed air through the intake runner for the exhaust gases) and the IMRC links to the secondary intake runner plate shafts (the plastic clip breaks or the vacuum line goes bad) have problems, not to mention carboning up, which can freeze the runner plates in place, robbing the engine of power. If you get the van and have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me, and I'll help you best as I can.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
The up side of these vans is that since the back end of the engine is exposed when the doghouse is removed, it makes tuning up and diagnosing the EFI a bit easier.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it's been a while, but I think I'm getting this van. It's been painted with a fresh coat of Benny Moore DTM acrylic white, and has new tires and brakes,

It does have 3.73 gears, and the trans is an AODE.

Couldn't come at a better time since I'm without a running set of wheels right now.

I doubt the 4x4 swap will happen, at least not very soon. I do plan to set up the back as a sort of camping vehicle.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Van life is the only life! Haha

Now to start getting it outfitted properly. Not interested in a full kitchen or anything, just comfy for camping if I don't want to set up the tent. It'll probably get fold up bunks like on a ship or submarine. I've got a small 400w power inverter for it already. Might rig up a freshwater tank, and definitely a dedicated spot for a cooler. Can't forget the fishing pole racks either.

I need to find some blacklights and shag carpet :rofl:

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well here she is, free candy signs not included. She's a bit rusty on the bottom, but who cares!

·
Addicted to Junk
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
First two mods cost me nothing because I had them sitting around. First was this classy exhaust tip. Looks much better than the rusty pipe that was there.

Next was a new air filter. I had this exact same type in my mustang, and got this one for my dad's truck. He has a KN FIPK, so it didn't fit. Fits perfect in the van.

Next up will be painting the bumpers, wheels, and grille black.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts