Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
275 Posts
This is one is nothing compared to usual. The ol van has been up numerous mountain passes, from paved to "4x4 recommended".

Nah, ill be out there in a few weeks probably. No tentative date yet. We've got a good amount of quail up here but not many pheasant. Never been much of a bird hunter, since i moved on from pellet guns at least... Taken a few turkey, quail, and canada geese. And two deer.
This might be the first good year for quail down here at least since I moved up here. Coyotes are super thick down here and so are turkeys. Deer are too thick and I do everything I can to take 3 a year. I am planning a hog and bear hunt down in Arkansas in either October or November. I'll be staying in the Ozark National Forest which is full of 4x4 trails. I have been looking forward to this trip since the last time I went.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
This might be the first good year for quail down here at least since I moved up here. Coyotes are super thick down here and so are turkeys. Deer are too thick and I do everything I can to take 3 a year. I am planning a hog and bear hunt down in Arkansas in either October or November. I'll be staying in the Ozark National Forest which is full of 4x4 trails. I have been looking forward to this trip since the last time I went.
Turkey are slightly declining here, but they were absolutely everywhere ten years ago. A year or two ago I snuck up on a flock of 75+ head of turkey on the back 40. Quail are slowly coming back. As a kid in the 90s, they were a scarce sight. We've got a large covey on our 80 acres. Good mix of grass and grain fields around, and plenty of woods, like our 80 of thick forest.

We have a nice population of deer. Ive had over ten different bucks on my food plot game cam over one winter. And does are ten times as common. As are the damn coons!

The ozarks will be a fun trip. Hog hunting is on my to do list. The 50 Beowulf needs a workout...

·
Registered
1982 FSB 302, c6, NP208 manual, manual hubs, manual windows, 3.00 gears LSD rear, 235/75/15 HK ATM
275 Posts
I am thinking about buying a 458 socom. That just cuts into bronco funds. The 50 is sweet, I have shot one a few times. I think I would go for a 500 auto max if I ever saw one in the shop.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I am thinking about buying a 458 socom. That just cuts into bronco funds. The 50 is sweet, I have shot one a few times. I think I would go for a 500 auto max if I ever saw one in the shop.
MidwayUSA has been running sales on some of the large caliber uppers. Maybe 450 Bushmaster currently? My first AR was a 6.5 grendel, so I wanted the "matching" beowulf big bore. The 50 definitely packs a wallop.

Haha yeah too many hobbies and not enough money...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah, I don't have an AR yet. I have a mini 30 in 7.62x39 to handle semi duties. The socom will be an AR platform...that is... unless I can get a Mini chambered in it.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Yeah, I don't have an AR yet. I have a mini 30 in 7.62x39 to handle semi duties. The socom will be an AR platform...that is... unless I can get a Mini chambered in it.
Ive got one AR lower and 3 uppers.

And a mini14, cetme 308, sks, and a semi auto ruger 44 mag rifle. My mini has an issue where it doesnt want to let a round seat fully on the bolt face. The extractor wont let it slip by.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mini's can be picky. I traded an older ranch rifle mini 14 in on the mini 30. I have wanted one of those ruger 44 mags for a long time! I have a henry allweather 44 mag that shoots like a dream. Is yours the deerfield or 94/44? I sold my sks after I got the 30 and wish I hadn't now. I have been considering a cetme for a while and just can't bring myself to pick one up (although the new binary trigger system may have me convinced soon). For these hunts in Arkansas I take my Ruger SR1911 that has been converted for 450smc, and the mini 30 just in case I get charged by a pissed off momma. I have a Browning X-bolt in 300wm for the longer range stuff and it gets taken along so that if I ever find a place to stretch it's legs I can. My range at the farm is only about 350 yards and that is just too easy for that rifle.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Mini's can be picky. I traded an older ranch rifle mini 14 in on the mini 30. I have wanted one of those ruger 44 mags for a long time! I have a henry allweather 44 mag that shoots like a dream. Is yours the deerfield or 94/44? I sold my sks after I got the 30 and wish I hadn't now. I have been considering a cetme for a while and just can't bring myself to pick one up (although the new binary trigger system may have me convinced soon). For these hunts in Arkansas I take my Ruger SR1911 that has been converted for 450smc, and the mini 30 just in case I get charged by a pissed off momma. I have a Browning X-bolt in 300wm for the longer range stuff and it gets taken along so that if I ever find a place to stretch it's legs I can. My range at the farm is only about 350 yards and that is just too easy for that rifle.
I actually have both the deerfield carbie semi auto 44 mag and the 96/44 short throw lever action. They are so handy! They weigh only about what a standard 10/22 weighs and arent mich longer. Some day i wanna make a 10rd extended stick mag for the Deerfield. Both are only 4 rd rotary mags and thats all you can get. The 96/44 will shoot 44spl too, but it doesnt have enough oomph to cycle the deerfield.

My cetme is a Century Arms C308. Only like 700 bucks. I dig it alot. My sks is a numbers matching 1957 Romanian model. Most reliable rifle i own. Accurate too, for a 7.62x39 anyways.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ah, I was thinking they were both semi. One of the 44 mag auto's had the tube mag and one had a detachable rotary. I had forgotten about the short throw lever guns. My sks was a numbers matching norinco that I bought packed full o cosmoline in like new condition for 75 bucks back in 2007.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Ah, I was thinking they were both semi. One of the 44 mag auto's had the tube mag and one had a detachable rotary. I had forgotten about the short throw lever guns. My sks was a numbers matching norinco that I bought packed full o cosmoline in like new condition for 75 bucks back in 2007.
Ah yeah i forgot about the tube mag. That was before the Deerfield IIRC.

My sks was not cosmoline packed, and likely a wartime bring back. I paid 150 back about 20 years ago. Back when a 1000 pack of ammo was like 80 bucks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ah yeah i forgot about the tube mag. That was before the Deerfield IIRC.

My sks was not cosmoline packed, and likely a wartime bring back. I paid 150 back about 20 years ago. Back when a 1000 pack of ammo was like 80 bucks!
Those were the days! I think Classic Firearms has some SKS's for like $400! It seems outrageous but I feel like they are still worth it. I will have another one of these days.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #192

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hell yeah man! I'm thinking about turning my wrecked saab wagon into a 2 person camper. I don't know how comfortable it would be at 6'4. I think once I totally gutted the interior there might be more room than I give it credit for. Too bad it feels like the gates of hell outside!

·
Addicted to Junk
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Hell yeah man! I'm thinking about turning my wrecked saab wagon into a 2 person camper. I don't know how comfortable it would be at 6'4. I think once I totally gutted the interior there might be more room than I give it credit for. Too bad it feels like the gates of hell outside!
The issue with wagons is the headroom. Being able to sit straight up is really nice. And walk around? Its great. Especially in a freak rainstorm. The econoline is perfect because there are so many options just from the factory. And they visually didnt change much from 75-2013.

Ugh yeah this 95° with 50% humidity is killer. I havent been doing anything.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The issue with wagons is the headroom. Being able to sit straight up is really nice. And walk around? Its great. Especially in a freak rainstorm. The econoline is perfect because there are so many options just from the factory. And they visually didnt change much from 75-2013.

Ugh yeah this 95° with 50% humidity is killer. I havent been doing anything.
The reason I am considering the wagon is because I already have it and haven't hauled it to the scrappers yet. I think it might piss some of the Subaru people off since it's a bit of a collector car in their circles. I could just pull the tranny and axles, cut the front clip off, weld in a tongue and make it a little trailer. The image of it being drug behind my bronco out to places it couldn't have got to on its own just puts a smile on my face.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Well, after pricing steel to make a receiver hitch, and seeing the small space on the econoline to mount a front hitch, ive decided to just buy one. Its only about 30 bucks more and its already built to fit. And this one is a concealed model, so it wont be poking out below the bumper. Considering the cost of paint, welding supplies, and my time, I think ill come out ahead.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Gotten a couple things done lately. Got the rear wired up for towing a trailer. Also installed the front hitch. It hangs lower than i thought a "concealed" hitch should, but im not too concerned. Im not rock crawling in this thing. No laughing at my crappy exhaust pipe cactus smasher...

Then I revisited my shade canopy idea. The first run with a 8oz canvas drop cloth didnt turn out so well. The canvas rips too easy around the grommets I installed. So on to a poly tarp. The canvas would have been quieter in the wind.

It is mounted with five bolts through the drip rail running the length of the van. They are fully torqued down and a second nut (will be wing nuts eventually) and washer captures each of the tarp grommets. Then i crafted two poles for the outer corners. I bought 12 ft of .125" wall 1" diameter tubing and 2 ft of solid 1" aluminum. I cut the solid rod into four equal pieces and turned 2.5" of each one down to .750 to press fit into the ends of the two 6ft tubes. On the two 'feet' i turned a dull spear point to poke into the ground. On the two top slugs, i turned 2.5" of it down to .450" to go through the tarp grommets. Now i had my two support poles.

Then i just got four reflective tent guy lines and four tent stakes. To keep the tarp more taught, I think i have a couple extra fiberglass tent poles ill try to use to dome the tarp.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Man, that is awesome! I think a brushed aluminum skid plate to conceal the hitch the rest of the way would look sick. Do you plan to store the tarp&poles inside or roll up onto the top like a tarp on a live bottom?

·
Addicted to Junk
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
I plan to have a bag to store the tarp and small items in. The poles fit absolutely perfectly in my fishing rod holders on the ceiling. And i still have room for two poles.

It certainly was nice to have the shade while i was piddling with the trailer light harness and mounting a GI style first aid kit on the side door.

I was considering making a small skid plate that slides into the 2" receiver. Kinda like an item thats already on the market.

Reactions: HarryGnuts

·
Addicted to Junk
12,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Oh and i should add that the hitch does not drop below the I-beams for the front suspension.

181 - 200 of 208 Posts