Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 Bronco is tired and dropped a valve. I have since found a 99 Explorer 302 with low miles that I can get.

What I need to know is what is the minimum I would need to do for this swap. I'm not looking to pull submarines up on the beach or dump trucks out of ditches and all this other crahpola seen in the commercials. I just need a relatively cheap but decent 302 swap so I can sell the Bronco or my other truck (I'm laid off).

I know I would need to get a set of headers but what I really need to know is will my existing "N" engine EFI and emmissions junk swap over to the Explorer motor and otherwise everything else fit (dip stick, oil pan, intake, etc)...

THANKS!

John

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I'm a lil confused. So you have a explorer doner, or you want to swap a motor into the explorer? If you want to swap the explorer motor as is into a bronco, you'll need the computer. If you just want the short block, then yes everything will swap over.
You will need to use the bronco's:
oil pan and pickup
timing cover and water pump (maybe)

I think the explorers have GT40 intake also, setup for MAF. you may need to keep your upper and lower intake manifolds.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
for cost sake, just swap your 44ttb and 8.8 into the exploder, and make it a nice little baja truck, there is a writeup somewhere on the web to do this. get the extra width, plus more interior room. it IS possible

wes

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
You'll be dollars and a lot of time ahead if you get a long block for the Bronco and leave the swap alone.

K

·
0 Posts
mda said:
You'll be dollars and a lot of time ahead if you get a long block for the Bronco and leave the swap alone.
:stupid my brother got a new 351 swapped in his bronc for around 2000 i think... (remanufactured - around 30,000 miles or so :shrug )... save yourself the time and money and just take it somewhere..............

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh, I was out looking to do a cheap swap as it was a short money motor. Been laid off for a bit so I really don't have the coin to go with a long block and the 302 in it now has a burnt valve (at best) plus is plenty tired.

Would love to put a long block in it but can't afford the dough.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,871 Posts
:twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak

Sorry bout that, seems the other memebers don't understand.

The motor swap will be a direct bolt in. BUT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything you don't uses from the exploder motor is worth high dollor on eBay. Floks buy the intakes and crap to EFI early mustangs and bronco's

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
i think he meant buy it now. and i would hafta agree on that. there is a lotta money to be had from ebay w/ the extra xploder stuff

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
:twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak :twak

Sorry bout that, seems the other memebers don't understand.

The motor swap will be a direct bolt in. BUT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything you don't uses from the exploder motor is worth high dollor on eBay. Floks buy the intakes and crap to EFI early mustangs and bronco's
Sometimes I wonder if you really understand or you just write BS to screw with people!

The 5.0 in a Exploder in 99 "should" be MASS AIR not Speed Density. A 92 5.0 is SD. I know because I converted one.

He will have to either swap over ALL the EFI, Comps and wiring or break down and replace the cam to get the proper firing order.

Again I say he will be dollars ahead to rebuild or get a long block meant for his truck. You're right on one part, sell all your crap to the stang guys. Use that money to do the job right.

I maybe wrong but I just took a peek under the hood of my ex-wife's (don't even go there) 97 Exploder and it IS MASS AIR.

But then who knows maybe Ford went backwards to speed density in 99.:shrug

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
No dude, you are right! That's what I was trying to say also. Don't stress. Some people don't know shit, and others have great info. You just have to know who to ignore. Fireguy has good info though!

K

·
0 Posts
those who have heard things and those who have actually done it are two different things... i would personally go with mda as he has done this before. i have had 2 new engines put in before in different vehicles, and they both were around 2 grand...guess it just depends on how much your gettin the explorer though, but a 99? just my .02 though :shrug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts