Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got to wondering....how far can a pretty much stocker go offroad? i have had pretty good luck, and am in the process of correcting some of the problems i had found. the ground clearence w31s seemed insufficent, have installed 33s now ground clearence is MUCH better. thinking lockers in rear and limited slip up front, a receiver mounted winch for front and rear use hi lift and the basic recovery items and these rigs are pretty much good to go. maybe add in lower gearing anything else? :shrug

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Should get you most stuff cept for rock crawling and such. The open diffs will hurt you the worst (stupid one wheel peel in the '88)

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have done amasing things with my totally stock bronco. Rock crawling, sand, mud. They are awesome! I have a 6 inch lift, 35's and now gears and lockers just waiting to all be put on. I cant wait to see how much different the truck will be since it's so good now

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
mine goes everywhere. but i side note "they cant swim":doh0715:

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Dude, IF you don't have a straight axle up front. You can't do ANYTHING in a Bronco.. LOL..

Just playing. Stock broncos go at it pretty well. Except for a "few " drops that bottomed out the rig. And then had the wife yapping at me.. Her Bronco, guess she has a right to yell. :thumbup

·
Registered
50 Posts
my bronco did pritty good...but it was just to damn wide for the trails in my area...and with 31 i screwed up the back bumper going places....and now my front tires are /---/ and i have a bad dead tranny init.....but the ranger!!!!!i love that thing...i can go almost any were!!!!!:rockon :thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
A stock Bronco is far more capable than most drivers. If you take the time to learn how to drive it properly, it'll take you places most people wouldn't dream of trying. Along the same lines, a built to the hilt rig is useless if there's a dumbass behind the wheel. Learn correct offoad driving style and find the weaknesses, then you'll know your build path as well.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
i read this here, but forgot who.

"a stock bronco is capable enough off-road to get the beginner off-roader uncomfortable"

·
Registered
298 Posts
So long as you respect the fact that it is a stock bronco, you'll be fine. My buddy and I have twin broncos and we get pretty far off the beaten course...We have broken quite a few things thinking the truck was superman, but we've learned what it can and can't do. Jumping....NO. Swimming....of course not. Rockcrawling, with a TTB up front....Like walking home?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
The only thing not trail ready about mine is that stupid 7-pin trailer plug in the back... I smash those things like there's no tomorrow. I finally just took the stupid thing off, as well as the brake controller.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Ground clearance is usually an issue, it's really easy to drag the stock rear bumper and the transfer case skidplate. Take it easy on ice or transition surfaces (slick to grippy) with open diffs or you'll destroy your spider gears. Also watch out for trees on Jeep size trails they'll rip your mirrors off real fast

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
The only thing not trail ready about mine is that stupid 7-pin trailer plug in the back... I smash those things like there's no tomorrow. I finally just took the stupid thing off, as well as the brake controller.
same here

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
There is an old addage...."its the Indian, not the arrow". Learn to drive it...a stock bko will take you places you could not even imagine....let the truck do the work, not the skinny pedal...aint no substitute for finesse..

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
my 88 at the time only had 31" BFG M/Ts and did remarkably well at WITC.

about a year later, my truck was sank with a 4" lift and 31" BFG M/Ts and my buddies stock on 32s wasnt

about a year later, my truck with 4" lift and 36" TSL/SXs...is sitting on jack stands

leave it stock before its too late

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
SrATEX said:
my 88 at the time only had 31" BFG M/Ts and did remarkably well at WITC.

about a year later, my truck was sank with a 4" lift and 31" BFG M/Ts and my buddies stock on 32s wasnt

about a year later, my truck with 4" lift and 36" TSL/SXs...is sitting on jack stands

leave it stock before its too late
:histerica :histerica now thats funny.:histerica :histerica

1 - 20 of 40 Posts