Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Uh, propane isn't exactly cheap right now. I don't believe it's the 30% cheaper that the seller claims.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I think they mean relative. The amount of propane you need to go the same distance in gas is 30% less. I might believe that. There was an article in Peterson's (or Four Wheeler...can't remember) about running on propane. I don't think they said exactly how much cheaper it is since it depends on where you are but they did say it was cheaper. Except that to be able to go the same distance entirely on propane you'd need a big ass tank.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
From what I've read, you do loose some small amount of power and drop about 1 mpg due to that. I had thought about this as an option too but propane prices did not justify it. I is sweet to have such a clean burning fuel though, should extend the engine's life.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You actually use about 1.1 gallons of propane to 1 gallon of gasoline. In some markets like California where gas is unusually high the propane can run 30% less expensive per gallon. Here in Denver propane is almost as much of a gallon of gas but that is because our gas here does not average anywhere even close to $4+ a gallon.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
we havnt hit 4+ a gallon yet, but premium is almost there (damn mach 1, why must you be so fun). Theres a guy I know running propane in his blazer, it was having all sorts of problems, but he knew what it was. Definatly a neat alternative, especially for carbed motors

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was thinking about running propane, but the cost difference here doesn't really justify it. I'm also a little reserved about carrying the container in the cab. If an accident were to occur and that thing popped, there is absolutely nothing to protect the passengers from the resulting fireball.

mR

·
Registered
565 Posts
The biggest benefit I see from propane is that it will run at all angles much like fuel injection. The other advantage I see is that propane has really high octane and should allow the user to run really high compression ratios. That alone should make up for the slight horsepower loss if you were building a new engine to run on propane.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Propane dries out seals and is hard on the valves. If you are running dual (gas & propane) you have to set your timing up a bit in order for it to get max power when on either fuel, therefore it`s never really optimized for either fuel. If you live in colder temps, you have to make sure the condenser is kept warm, it`s not winter friendly. I have run alot of engines on propane(with dual as well). The best advantage is the range you can get out of dual fuel, I used to get 1200km out of one of my company trucks.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I think they mean relative. The amount of propane you need to go the same distance in gas is 30% less. I might believe that. There was an article in Peterson's (or Four Wheeler...can't remember) about running on propane. I don't think they said exactly how much cheaper it is since it depends on where you are but they did say it was cheaper. Except that to be able to go the same distance entirely on propane you'd need a big ass tank.
I think it's the opposite, it's like 30% more propane then gas.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Propane aint cheap thats for, we charge 3.50$ a gallon. People seem to get pissed at me when I fill their tanks and they ask how much we charge...

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Propane has gone way up since I got my kit. I was getting 10 gallons filled for 22$, but now it's 32$. If I had any other engine besides a 400, I would have gone EFI if I had to do it over. I'm debating on my new rig, since it will be a 351W, but I'll probably stick with pane as I already own the kit. Several comp rigs I've wheeled with and there was no advantage to pane over EFI that I could tell. Power IS less on a motor not originally built for pane.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts