Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this bronco with someone about a month ago. LOVE IT btw. I have always been a bronco fan, i am just lost when it comes the mechanic things:banghead. I am currently having some problems with the heater and A/C. Well needless to say, the heater doesn't work and the A/C works "TO WELL". It will blow frost if i let it. HAHA

I am not looking to troubleshoot this through this thread, i have search and found what i was looking for when it comes to troubleshooting but i know the following is messed up and i am wondering if this could be the problem

What is this that i am pointing to and what does it do:

I know it the little white thing should be connected to it but i dont know what it is or what it does so i can't order a new one. The top piece (that connects to the white piece) is broken off as you can see so when i change the vent, a/c, floor, or defroster, the white thing moves on the end of the arm but that broken piece just sits there and doesn't turn.

Second question is, this green wire. When i remove it, the A/C doesn't work. I have to keep it installed and it will work fine.

What is it SUPPOSE to connect to and where can i find a connecter. The reason i ask is because i have looked around and i can't seem to find an "extra" connector in the truck.

Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
It's the a/c pressure switch.. it screws onto that fitting on the accumulator (the threaded fitting with a shrader valve and green O ring) it's job is to shut off the compressor when the pressure gets too low.. It's an important switch and bypassing it (as that wire is doing) will result in a/c that doesnt work very well, and ultimately destroying the a/c system. the switch is about $12 at autozone and takes about 5 seconds to install.

the thing you're pointing to is a vacuum actuated flapper for the a/c ducting.. i think it's the one which switches between outside and inside air.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your help. I orderd the switch, nobody in my city carries one and i am looking for the flapper. Thanks a lot

·
Super Moderator
27,220 Posts
yo, Great advice from rhauf!

and FYI, this may help in da future;

Components pics in 80-96; "...Separate suction & discharge hoses were used until ~'92. Mid-years (~'86-90) used square-drive shutoff valves at the compressor ports. Early models ('80~84) used an autmatic shutoff valve & filter in the connection between the condenser & the condenser-to-evaporator hose. The low pressure switch screws onto an automatic valve on the accumulator. R-134a models have a hi-press. cutout switch on the discharge hose..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

'92-96 HVAC Vacuum System by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Air Conditioning Controls for '92-96 by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

more such stuff in my site under CLIMATE CONTROL

Enjoy the Bronco!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I found the part to the vaccum door and the unit the goes on the top of it, that connects the the motor arm

I just need to find a place to sell those parts.

·
Super Moderator
27,220 Posts
yo

Ford Motorcraft® (fordinstallersupport.com) - Air Conditioning Parts Catalog, (Bronco/Ford truck & all Fords) w/Ford Part Numbers & Illustrations
http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/ac200.pdf
page 133 & 134

YH-486

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,48,partnum,YH486,d,MOTORCRAFT_YH486.html
MOTORCRAFT Part # YH486 {#E8TH18A318BA, E8TZ18A318A}
Category: A/C Vacuum Control Valve $8.28

=

MOTORCRAFT Part # YH513 {#E35H19E561AA, E35Y19E561A}
Category: A/C Clutch Switch $20.79
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

-----
Four Seasons® (Division of Standard Motor Products. (4s.com) - Bronco/Ford truck blower motors, heater cores, air conditioning compressors, switches, etc..
http://www.4s.com/

I went thru the year, make etc drill and used their search for switch and got;
Switches - Blower Motor
Switches - Clutch Cycling Switch - Pressure
35960 R12
36676 R134a

they have pics/depictions if each
=============

try NAPA etc for all
check label on da accumulator for refrigerant type info; I see it in your pic

TSB 94-19-20 R-134a Charge

Publication Date: SEPTEMBER 21, 1994

LIGHT TRUCK: 1994-95 BRONCO, F-150-350 SERIES, F-47

ISSUE: Ford Climate Control Division has increased the refrigerant charge in the subject vehicles from 2 lbs. 1 oz. to 2 lbs. 6 ozs.

ACTION: When service to the A/C system is required, recharge the A/C system with 2 lbs. 6 oz. of R-134a. Make the necessary corrections to the 1994-95 Service Manuals, pages 12-00-35, 12-03A-58 for 1994 and 12-00-39, 12-03A-56 for 1995.
Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal and list the date, dealer number, and summary of alterations performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,627 Posts
You really need that Clutch Cycling switch. It serves two functions. First it switches the compressor on/off for normal operation. If you allow the compressor to run at 100% duty cycling you can literally freeze up the system. The compressor should only run near or at 100% in very hot/humid conditions. The second function is to keep the compressor off if the refrigerant level is too low.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i installed the pressure switch. As soon as i tightened it down, it started hissing, is that suppose to happen. I tried tightening it down more to get the hissing to stop and the plastic piece that screws on just broken right in half. I dont mind buying a new one, i am just curious if it is suppose to hiss

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yo...
YH-486

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,48,partnum,YH486,d,MOTORCRAFT_YH486.html
MOTORCRAFT Part # YH486 {#E8TH18A318BA, E8TZ18A318A}
Category: A/C Vacuum Control Valve $8.28
Thanks for the info but i am actually looking for the part that connects to this part above. It is a white plastic piece that opens and closes a door on the inside by the heater core. That piece that connects to the white piece i am talking about, is what is broken and i need to replace...

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,627 Posts
so i installed the pressure switch. As soon as i tightened it down, it started hissing, is that suppose to happen. I tried tightening it down more to get the hissing to stop and the plastic piece that screws on just broken right in half. I dont mind buying a new one, i am just curious if it is suppose to hiss
The pressure switch pushes in on the schrader valve on the accumulator. You will have a few moments of freon release until the pressure switch is fully seated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pressure switch pushes in on the schrader valve on the accumulator. You will have a few moments of freon release until the pressure switch is fully seated.
so once the switch is fully tightened, the hissing should stop...

now is that something like i will be waiting a minute or two or 10 to 15 seconds???

·
Super Moderator
27,220 Posts
Thanks for the info but i am actually looking for the part that connects to this part above. It is a white plastic piece that opens and closes a door on the inside by the heater core. That piece that connects to the white piece i am talking about, is what is broken and i need to replace...
yw,
Probably a yard item; I haven't seen it listed in on-line or print catalogs

Underdash Ventilation Duct '80-86

Location in a 94, 80-96 similar ; "...The easiest way to see it is to fully lower the glove box, pull the ~8 screws from the heater core cover, & look inside to the L (driver's side). You'll see the cable & control lever (in top L of 2nd pic) as soon as you fold the glovebox down, so inspect it first. The 3rd shows the whole cover - it's the large section in the top center with tiny white numbers inked near its bottom edge. The cables are visible, too...." by Steve83 at http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54995&highlight=Blend+Door

·
Registered
2006 Lincoln Navigator
1,627 Posts
so once the switch is fully tightened, the hissing should stop...

now is that something like i will be waiting a minute or two or 10 to 15 seconds???
1-5 seconds at the most as you tighten down the new pressure switch.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i took the old switch back and got a new one. I installed it without a problem. A/C works find, no hissing...thanks guys.

Now i just need to find the truck parts place for that vacuum door

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no. The A/C and max A/C aren't controlled by that actuator and flap (that the actuator is connected to). That actuator has something to do with the vent, floor, mix and defroster settings but i can't figure it out because it is broken.

I am looking for JUST the part that connects the actuator assmbly to the flapper door. I need the part on the top of the flapper door that allows the opening and closing of the door

·
Registered
251 Posts
well someone said something about it controlling outside air circulation....i was under the impression that's how a max A/C functions is by not taking in outside air and just continually cooling the air already in the cab.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i did do some investigating but like i said, since that thing is broken, i dont know what the hell to do. When you are in any position OTHER then MAX A/C, the arm of the A/C Vacuum Control Valve is fully extended and when you are in MAX A/C, the arm goes all the way in. When it comes to knowing what that means,

Once again, it is broken. I could figure it out but right now i am hunting down junk yards for this part.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You really need that Clutch Cycling switch. It serves two functions. First it switches the compressor on/off for normal operation. If you allow the compressor to run at 100% duty cycling you can literally freeze up the system. The compressor should only run near or at 100% in very hot/humid conditions. The second function is to keep the compressor off if the refrigerant level is too low.
read the last line, where it says second function... thats why he had it jumped with that blue wire, he was low on r-134a

1 - 20 of 34 Posts