Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 5.8L Bronco and the A/C doesn't work. If I try to engage the A/C on the heater panel, the belt squeals and smokes. I looked under the hood and the pulley isn't spinning. If I turn the A/C off, it spins ok. Is my A/C compressor toast?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
According to an A/C site I have frequented even the hoses should be replaced because the hoses have mufflers in them which can't be cleaned. (The hoses on my 91 have mufflers). The only hose you won't have to replace is from the condensor to the orifice tube.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Mine did the same thing late last fall, and I just slapped on a rebuilt compressor without hooking up the lines/manifold until i get around to working on it this spring. I'll be replacing the hoses and the dryer, but what should I wash out the condensor with?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Blue'87GT said:
Mine did the same thing late last fall, and I just slapped on a rebuilt compressor without hooking up the lines/manifold until i get around to working on it this spring. I'll be replacing the hoses and the dryer, but what should I wash out the condensor with?
You have done exactly as I did, although mine was a 2nd hand compressor from a good junkyard.

I cleaned mine out with solvent (brake cleaner without chlorine IIRC). I took it all apart and cleaned the parts individually with the cleaner and compressed air. I replaced the dryer (you must replace this with new along with the orifice tube). I cleaned the evaporator and condensor thouroughly. I also did the pipes with the mufflers. You must get all the old oil out especially if you are converting to R134a. That Includes getting it out of the compressor. However I do not recommend using cleaner in it. I then reassembled with new o-rings, dryer, and orifice tube. Use PAG45 (IIRC) oil. I then vaccuumed it and refilled.
However I didn't get mine filled all the way and the replacement compressor shit itself so now I'm back to sqaure one.

Autozone sells books and a DVD which is helpful

1 - 5 of 5 Posts