Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Im going to delete my A/C, I havnt found any write ups on this so I guess Im going to just go out and start cutting and unbolting every thing.

Any one have any tips?
Any one in the Portland area want the parts for free?

I was reading somewhere about useing your A/C condinsor for a tranny cooler. Any one try this?

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
If you're going to use you're condensor as a tranny cooler, make sure you flush/clean it out really good.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
I did it, I'm in the PDX area, what do you want to know?
Edit: found the "writeup" I did in 2002 on PJB...
Here's what I did: I took my cordless sawzall to a wreck and cut the non-a/c firewall out right along the seam at the cowl and down the side seam to the floorboard seam. Then cut along the floorboard seam to where the bend is for the transmission tunnel, then up along that bend following its angle, then straight up to the cowl seam from the top of the tunnel. Grind off the lip around the A/C box hole on the inside of the firewall because the heater box fits tight to the firewall. Then I put it in place on the engine side of the firewall and marked it from the inside through the A/C box mounting holes, drilled 9/64" holes on the marks, made a gasket out of 1" wide rubber high voltage splicing tape (Hey, it's what I had handy), and bolted it in with 1/4-20 x 3/4" bolts.
Then, BEFORE you get all excited and put the heater box in, pull out the A/C dash controls. Yank out all the ductwork and vacuum hoses, plug the tap to the vacuum canister from the intake manifold, and fill a 32 gallon garbage can up with all the junk. I pulled the instrument cluster and pulled the ductwork out from behind there too. It will make for easier servicing of the wiper motor someday.
Then there's the wiring harness for the A/C that you unplug both ends of and pull out then just plug what's left in the dash together. Then plug in the blower fan and rear window switch and route the control cables and blower fan resistor wiring toward where the heater will be and tie them out of the way.
I used a heater control from a truck with dual tanks, and put my rear window switch in place of the gas tank selector. It ends up in the same place that way. One more thing to check is the defroster duct. Make sure it matches up to the heater box or you'll be pulling the heater back out to replace the duct! It's best to get the defroster duct from the vehicle you got the heater from and swapping it just to be sure. It's only 4 screws but you gotta mash your head into the windshield to see them in the dash. I tested the blower fan before I started so I knew it was a good one. A new fan and heater core are an excellent idea before installing the unit, but I am too cheap for that.
Install the heater box, being careful of the control levers catching on the bottom of the dash and breaking the box. I broke one heater box that way. Then hook up the control cables, blower resistor, fan motor, and heater hoses. Fire it up, check for leaks, and admire all the cubic feet in your engine compartment.
The A/C duct holes in the dash make excellent homes for gauges, speakers, whatever you think of. I put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the driver's side duct hole. PVC cement seems to stick anything to these dashes permanently. One more thing... on the driver's side kick panel there's a plate you can remove and install a fresh air vent there from a non-A/C truck. It does fill the floor with muddy water faster when you're wheelin in the deep stuff though. There's probably more than you wanted to know here, but hopefully it will make the job a little easier for you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanx for the info. Im not going to be removeing the big box thing yet, I will soon as I get the parts. Im going to just hack all the lines and pulll the pump and condinsor out. Is there any lines I need to plug to keep my heat working?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just another idea, keep the a/c compressor and set it up for on board air, its a great unit for that.

I was going to do that but the only 2 reasons im pulling the A/C is the big box and big pump take up to much room and makes it look clutered. Im going to just buy an onboard compressor and hard mount it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts