Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is 75 degrees out and the wife said lets take a ride, so I said lets take the Bronco out. I started her up and we got down the street and she said it is warm in here so turn on the air. I turned it on and it lasted not even 30 seconds and it started blowing warm air. Seems that the clutch stopped. I checked the fuse in the panel and that was good. I then checked to see if there was a relay under the hood and there wasn't. Next I got a paper clip and jumped the switch and still no clutch movement. Also tried to charge the system and it won't take anything. Could the compresser taken a crap?Any thoughts before I go looking for a new compresser?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just checked all of the sensors with a test light and they all have power except the plug on top of the compresser by the clutch. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
24,688 Posts
Yo Tom,
What year do you have?
Clutch, Compressor Test in a 92-96; The a/c clutch is an electromagnet the locks the clutch plate to the pulley. If you have voltage at the power side of the clutch connector and a good ground through the other side of the connector the clutch should work, either the clutch plate is broken, this could indicate a seized compressor or the electromagnet is burnt out. Test the clutch side of the connector with an ohmmeter, There is no spec in the book but I would guess around 50 ohms, I suspect you will see an open circuit.

urce: by Ford via Chilton​
Clutch Cycling Pressure Switch Connector Location in Engine Bay Diagram in a 95
Source: by SeattleFSB (Seattle FSB) at SuperMotors.net​

Test; "...On the passenger side of the engine bay, towards the windshield, you'll see a tall black steel canister with a small 2 wire wiring coupler on it (near the top). Pull that coupler off, start the truck and then take a 4" piece of electrical wire and jump the two wires that are on the coupler. Now while you stand there holding it, have someone else go into the cab and turn on your a/c. One of two things will happen then----either the compressor itself will start spinning (you'll be able to hear it AND see it), OR, you'll hear a real nasty screeching sound because the compressor bearings are frozen up, and your fan belt will try and self destruct as it spins around the stationary pulley. If your test shows that the pulley on the compressor is turning nice and free, then you're probably out of refrigerant. If it starts screeching, you'll need a new compressor..."
Source: by RickyB at FSB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
miesk5, thank you for the diagrams. I replaced the compressor. I have power at the low pressure switch, and the high pressure switch but no power at the plug on the compressor. I did jump the low pressure switch and the clutch still did not engage. I changed out the low pressure switch and with the same results. I guess I'm going to start tracing wires to see if there is a break somewhere. oh, I have a 96 bronco with a 5.8.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Third time a charm, 2 people looked at my ac system and said low side pressure switch. Replaced it and same problem. Took it to a ac shop and turned out there was only 9 volts to the clutch plug. Traced wires and found out between the low pressure switch and clutch plug is the high pressure switch on back of the compressor which was bad. Bottom line is I have ice cold ac!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts