Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Eddie Bauer and the a/c runs but when I accelerate to go up a hill or pass someone the air gets diverted to the defrost vents and floor vents and once I release the gas it returns to the main vents. Also the air blows cold except when I am stopped or idleing...any ideas?

·
Registered
710 Posts
you've got a vacuum controlled "flap" in your ducting that diverts your air/heat to where you set it on the dial. It sounds like your switch might be worn out and not able to handle the increased vacuum when you accelerate.

sorry I don't know the proper names for the components...

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
you've got a vacuum controlled "flap" in your ducting that diverts your air/heat to where you set it on the dial. It sounds like your switch might be worn out and not able to handle the increased vacuum when you accelerate.

sorry I don't know the proper names for the components...
The vacuum controlled flap is the blend door and it has a vacuum actuator on it. Just to let you know vacuum DECREASES when you go to wide open throttle because you remove the restriction (the butterfly valve) that actually causes vacuum. Your engine trys to pull in more air than the valve will allow thereby creating vacuum if you allow the engine to pull in all the air it can with little to no restriction you have no vacuum. Some camshafts due to their individual characteristics of valve overlap are very poor producers of vacuum.
Now back to the original problem check all of the vacuum lines for leaks. Including coming from the engine to the control switch from the switch to their respective components. You also have or should have a small vacuum reservoir and a one way check valve between the engine and said reservoir.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts