Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to convert my a/c to oba since the lines were already cut when I bought the truck. I have read just about every post here about it and am sure I can do this no prob. HOWEVER, (pause for effect) there are not ANY lines comming from my compressor. Zip zero not one. Cauld someone help me out and take a pic of the line side of the compressor. Also how do I replace these lines so I can put the oiler, filter cut off switch ect on there? Can I just go to a junk yard and toke lines off a nother 87-91? Thanks for your help guys.

·
Banned
22,393 Posts
Depends on what style of compressor you have as to how the lines connect. Some have threaded fittings; some have a bolt-on block with hard lines; some have cutoff valves... You can connect your OBA stuff any way you like: compresson onto the hard lines; barbed fittings inside the rubber lines with regular hose clamps... Whatever.

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. I have a 90 but the lines are not connected to my Compressor. There is a threaded stud on the line side so I am guessing bolt on block?

*edit* upon closer inspection the holes are not threaded, there is just the stud. Is there another way to connect lines other than getting a new bolt on block?

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
4Low said:
Thanks Steve. I have a 90 but the lines are not connected to my Compressor. There is a threaded stud on the line side so I am guessing bolt on block?

*edit* upon closer inspection the holes are not threaded, there is just the stud. Is there another way to connect lines other than getting a new bolt on block?
put up some photos so we can get an idea of how the compressor looks.

(nice having on board air)

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
redwagon said:
put up some photos so we can get an idea of how the compressor looks.

(nice having on board air)

Went to the yard today, I found one on a 351 but they would only sell it to me with all of the lines connected. If I cant find one anywhere else I guess I'll go back. I don't even know if mine works.

On another note, the clip on the plug to the comp is broben. Which side should the plug clip be on when hooked up?

·
Banned
22,393 Posts
That's not a stud - it's a bolt. And judging by all the dirt on it, that compressor is full of $#!+.

It doesn't matter which way you connect the wires - the clutch will engage as long as you have 1 grounded & 1 with 12V. But the connector only fits 1 way.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
There is a part that connects to the two holes that is secured by that bolt. You'll understand as soon as you see one in a junkyard. Grab that hose and go. Just cut the rubber line. Leave about a foot of rubber line.

Then figure out which side is suction and which is discharge, and then use one of the many diagrams on the 'net to figure out how to do the rest.

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I did see one today. I am worried about all that crap in there too. Is there something I can spray in there to clean it out. I know it needs to be oiled when runing, can I turn it on and run some compressor oil through it? Sorry so many questions, I have the plans and a parts list but just wanted to make sure I go about it the right way.

·
Banned
22,393 Posts
You can try to flush it with A/C system flush made for R-134a conversions, but I doubt you'll get enough out to make the compressor last. I'd look for a sealed (or at least freshly-opened) compressor at the junkyard.

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve83 said:
I'd look for a sealed (or at least freshly-opened) compressor at the junkyard.
All of the F-150/ Broncos i looked at in the yard had different compressors in them. Bolt on block was in another location, hoses came off in locations that did not look like they would work. Will the other types from ford fit in my factory location. (the bolt paterns look the same) Hate to drop $75 for something that won't fit.

·
Banned
22,393 Posts
$75 for a junkyard compressor?!?!?!?! What a royal rip-off.

If it bolts up the same way as yours and has the same type of pulley (multi-rib), it'll work.

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
4Low said:
All of the F-150/ Broncos i looked at in the yard had different compressors in them. Bolt on block was in another location, hoses came off in locations that did not look like they would work. Will the other types from ford fit in my factory location. (the bolt paterns look the same) Hate to drop $75 for something that won't fit.

Here are the lines that I have Pm me if you want either!
this is from a 1996

this is from my 1990

I also have a clean compressor from my 1990 but may cost a bit to ship. If interested PM. I have school tonight but will check back around 9pm.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
How are you going to keep the compressor lubricated?

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ToddACimer said:
How are you going to keep the compressor lubricated?
With an inline oiler then a filter/seperator after. Just like everyone else is doing.

·
Bad MoFo
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Slickerthanyou said:
I also have a clean compressor from my 1990 but may cost a bit to ship. If interested PM. I have school tonight but will check back around 9pm.
PM Sent

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
PM returned

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
there is a better type of compresser called a york, if you can find one in an 80-82 on the same engine all you have to do is find the right pulley and you have an oiled compresser that puts out a good amount of air.:thumbup

·
my bko ate my money
2,324 Posts
go on more about the york!!!!!!! is this an a/c compressor that came off of fords 80-82 302/351s???? need to know more about yorks

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
go on more about the york!!!!!!! is this an a/c compressor that came off of fords 80-82 302/351s???? need to know more about yorks
Then search for York.

And look at the date on the thread/posts when you reply to them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts