Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but, didn't find what I was looking for:

There has got to be something or someone out there smart enough to figure out how to upgrade our A/C units ( the blowing power ) out there. A few months ago I spent almost 1300 dollars and rebuilt my A/C to new specs. New everything including an R12 refill. On our hot summer days if I am in a garage or going on a longer trip then its fine but, when I sit in a parking lot for any amount of time it feels like I have my A/C on low and takes forever to cool off. I have children and drive my Bronco 3-4 day a week and yes, I do have newer vehicles and commuter cars but, I love my bronco. I would even spend 3000 to have an awesome air conditioner if it was available.

Anybody else tried anything new (different blower, newer air units) anything else to improve on this. I am trying to drive it more regularly but, I need some creativeness on this also.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I haven't done it, but I would think you could upgrade just about every part of the system to modern components. Sanden compressors are everywhere cheap, a bigger condenser (pick any vehicle) and faster blower motor (you'd just need the mounting specs off of the original.) Other than that, I'd seal up the ducting very well as well as seal up the interior of the truck so you're not losing cool air. Hit the junkyard and take everything off of a late model car and go from there. You'll probably just need to replace some hoses and seals, especially converting over to R134A.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
be sure the air box isn't plugged up with leaves...

yes, i too have noticed vastly different performance in indentical f-series A/C units.. the CFM of the blower i mean. i be replacing (or at least cleaning and re-lubricating) the blower motor would yeild good results. thats my plan for my 350 when i get around to it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did reseal all the hoses and tubing. I have new weather strip on the whole bronco and dynamat on the floor. I think I need to check some more though. On the air box are you referring to the blower box? I don't have an air box (air intake style) if thats what you mean.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
It's a big space to cool with a pickup's A/C. :/

I see you're in AZ too, what color's your Bronco, Nate? :)

Mine's gonna be (Wimbledon) white, even if I have to rattle can it
(or take it to Mexico) it'll be white!

Actually a friend of mine has done quite a bit of body work and has
all the stuff and the know how and will be glad to put my sorry butt
to work sanding etc.

Alvin in AZ

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alvin, yeah my A/C works as it should but, man I wish they would have done that one better. Maybe a rear air upgrade one day. ( I thought of running an under dash A/C with dual compressors but, that might be overkill for 4 months of heat. I guess I can just deal with it...

My bronco was supposed to be a 96 Ford red (like the Expedition) but kinda turned out to be its own maroon type color. The original color was orange but, repainted by po.

·
Registered
461 Posts
You might look into using a different refrigerant. DuraCool sells a hydrocarbon based r12a that's similar to what used in industrial refrigeration. I ran it in my all original '78 HVAC last season and I think it was on par with or better than the factory '92+ Fseries. It's cheap and compatible with all seals and oils.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
was just thinking of the re-build i need to do on my 96 from the black death and seen this thread, anyone know if i could pull a system out of a navi or something for my 96 or should i just plan on buying new?

Reactions: ANGELO

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm sure someone has tried this before (or figured out why it won't work), but if you have a decent alternator (3G), could you run a 120V/208V AC compressor off the electrical system and remove the belt driven compressor entirely? You'd obviously need a converter, and this whole thing wouldn't be cheap.

But I'm thinking that they make some really nice variable speed ECM motor fan coil units these days. Would be awesome to have an ECM fan motor (completely variable speed adjustment at your console), and then a high efficiency scroll compressor that you could mount where you want. And you could size the system to be as big or as small as you wanted.

Is the issue that an alternator could never provide enough juice?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or I could just add one of these
www.dcpowersales.com =)

James,
I think your on the right track. Wouldn't it still push the same due to my blower motor though. How would this help in that department or would it be cooler air with the scroll compressor?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
since these rig were designed for R12 they don't work as effecient with 134 when moving it is able to extract enough heat from the condensor to work satisfactory however idling in a parking lot or congested traffic performance degrades rapidly

upgrade the condensor to the newer dual pass condensor designed for 134 will help a lot

stay away from any "majic stuff for freon"

you mention you still have R12 make sure you are not usig that mixed crap and have real R12 upgrading the condensor to the dual pass will help the heat exchange on the R12 as well thus may be the tipping point to have your a/c work
make sure you have a clutch fan and proper fan shroud on the truck as it depends on air flow to remove the heat

·
Registered
592 Posts
Air conditioning is a tough thing because all pieces have to work together it's not as simple as we might think.

Your bigger blower motor, would result in air that has a higher humidity and not as cold, both extremely horrible in AZ. You have to start with compressor and upgrade every piece from there.

Cheap solution would be to run DC power to the back seat, put in one of those small fans and mount it to the top. Enjoy your redneck engineered fan accessory, all for less than $30!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Bell-All-weather-power-socket/_/N-25ne?counter=7&itemIdentifier=422430_0_0_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Custom-Accessories-12-Volts-LED-lighted-cooling-fan/_/N-25u6?counter=0&itemIdentifier=209321_0_0_

·
Registered
461 Posts
stay away from any "majic stuff for freon"
I imagine this was directed at me; just so we're clear. Propane+Butane (r12a) is hardly magic. Propane has very similar performance characteristics compared to r22 (Unlike r134a: approx. 20% lower for given rate)

Flammable refrigerants were deemed unacceptable for use in cars at some point; I'm sure DuPont’s highly paid lobbyists had nothing to do with it because it's not like cars are carrying around another highly flammable and pressurized (and more energetic) hydrocarbon all the time anyway. It's certainly not because they don't work - they are "acceptable" for use in industrial refrigeration; propane actually outperforms CFCs at lower temperatures.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I imagine this was directed at me; just so we're clear. Propane+Butane (r12a) is hardly magic. Propane has very similar performance characteristics compared to r22 (Unlike r134a: approx. 20% lower for given rate)

Flammable refrigerants were deemed unacceptable for use in cars at some point; I'm sure DuPont’s highly paid lobbyists had nothing to do with it because it's not like cars are carrying around another highly flammable and pressurized (and more energetic) hydrocarbon all the time anyway. It's certainly not because they don't work - they are "acceptable" for use in industrial refrigeration; propane actually outperforms CFCs at lower temperatures.
reason being it should not be used in automotive is the fact there is multible ignition points and extreme heat both of which propane likes to light from
you putting this crap into a system that never was designed for it hoses fail compressor seals fail by the time a leak is detected more then likely to late
industral doesn't typically have hoses that can and will fail
not to mention illegal and dangerous for a A/C tech that is unlucky enough to come across this crap

last A/C shop I was at had to test every vehicle that came in because of this crap
ruined a whole batch of good recycled R12 in the reclaimer because of it realy tough to dispose of after that as well

basicly keep your stupid practices to yourself some one not that familer with A/C will end up dead because of this advise

·
Registered
461 Posts
you putting this crap into a system that never was designed for it hoses fail compressor seals fail by the time a leak is detected more then likely to late
industral doesn't typically have hoses that can and will fail
Really? Propane is safe to use with natural and synthetic (viton) rubber.

reason being it should not be used in automotive is the fact there is multible ignition points and extreme heat both of which propane likes to light from
Do you live in fear of your fuel lines? There's a hell of a lot more energy stored there. It's just not a very good argument against it's use in vehicles when they already carry around a very flammable liquid.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was just curious if anybody had done anything creative. My A/C works just as it came from the factory I am sure. Blows ice cold and its the real R12 installed by a licensed person. The cabs are just large and getting anything into that back seat is small. If I drive alone and have 2 or 3 vents pointed to the driver seat I am cold. If I had a single cab truck then I would be freezing. One of the reasons they got rid of Bronco's and added rear air expeditions I guess. The fan idea was creative and would help circulate the air better hmm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It cools good when driving but idling it does not? How bout a extra fan on the condensor to push air thru it when not moving alot of newer vehicles have this.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Really? Propane is safe to use with natural and synthetic (viton) rubber.

Do you live in fear of your fuel lines? There's a hell of a lot more energy stored there. It's just not a very good argument against it's use in vehicles when they already carry around a very flammable liquid.
regardless it safe to use with rubber, hoses still fail

fuel system was designed with that in mind the A/C system was not designed to have a flammable susbstance in it

but since you are smarter then the engineers that designed this stuff and know better then they do you just keep doing what you are doing just keep it to yourself mother nature has her ways of thinning the herd :thumbup

·
AKA: Butthead
2,858 Posts
{B}ut since you are smarter th{a}n the engineers that designed this stuff
and know better th{a}n they do{,} you just keep doing what you are doing
just keep it to yourself{. M}other nature has her ways of thinning the herd{.}
Ok that was over the top. ;)

And the "refrigerant worms" are all the way out of their can now. ;)

HC's are safely used in automobiles in just about everyplace except the US.

Did you know that?

All the of the refrigerants are flammable as anything when released because
they have a fine mist of oil with them. R12 for example produces phosgene
gas when it burns so it pulls a double-whammy and is real harmful when
breathed too (not just hot ;) and that never stopped you from liking R12
did it? Huh? ;)

134a has its problems too along with a lower temperature needed to start
the oil+134a fire than propane+oil even.

You've been lied to, throw off them chains and free your mind. :)

You've been pumped full of shit and I'm just trying to pull the plug and let it
out -for--you- whether you like your shit being let out or not is up to you
tho. LOL :)

No kidding on any of that, look into it like you mean it and you'll find it. :)

"don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see" -old timers

It's time that "saying" comes back, IMO.

-Just another dumb libertarian with a bad attitude in AZ
ps- InfoFord, x2 your first post BTW. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts