Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 5.8

Every time I turn the AC on, I hear an intense groaning/whining noise from under the hood. If the truck is at a stand still, it stalls. If I'm moving, the car jolts a little, and I lose power. I just brought this damn thing home this morning from the auto dealer, and I'm pissed as anything......

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds like the A/C compressor is shot. If you can get the belt off, try turning the compressor, it's at the top right of the belt path. If it's not turning freely you got a problem! You'll have to replace both the compressor and the accumulator at the same time and have the whole thing flushed as the compressor is sending metal shards down the line. When I had to do it on mine it ran me $400 installed. Good luck my friend, you may be able to get by for a while with the A/C off but eventually it will seize up nad burn out your belt.

It didn't make any sounds while at the dealer?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
RobertF said:
Sounds like the A/C compressor is shot. If you can get the belt off, try turning the compressor, it's at the top right of the belt path. If it's not turning freely you got a problem! You'll have to replace both the compressor and the accumulator at the same time and have the whole thing flushed as the compressor is sending metal shards down the line. When I had to do it on mine it ran me $400 installed. Good luck my friend, you may be able to get by for a while with the A/C off but eventually it will seize up nad burn out your belt.

It didn't make any sounds while at the dealer?
:stupid

·
Registered
316 Posts
my a/c does the same thing, sort of,
it doesnt seem like a mechanical thing, no grinding or anything and my a/c blows nice cold air. i think it is some kind of electrical problem, with an idle control or something.
havnt figured it out yet though :shrug
there are a couple cases of this, do a search and lets keep in touch, see if we can figure this out together

good luck

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm not sure in your case as you still get cold air. But a seized up A/C compressor could cause you to stall if the engine is feeling a bit tired and it has trouble pulling the belt over the seized compressor.

nate22- I would strongly suggest replacing the belt when you get the compressor and accumulator replaced.

knarf121- Have you disconnected the battery and reset the computer for a bit? I had a jeep where after I replaced the batter (Was totally dead for a while) that when I put the new one in it the truck would stall everytime I slowed down. I fixed it by disconnecting the battery for a bit and driving the car a bit easier then I normally do :) After replacing the battery I had driven it really hard, sorta skidding around turns and taking off fast from stop signs if you catch my drift :)

·
Banned
38,676 Posts
knarf
Your Idle Air Control solenoid is gummed up. You can try to clean it (remove it from the throttle body first) with sensor-safe carb cleaner, but they usually need to be replaced soon after anyway. They're ~$40 at most parts stores, but get one with a lifetime warranty because it WILL go out again. After replacing it, you'll probably need to clear the adaptions like RobertF said: unhook the battery ground terminal for 5 minutes, then drive 10 miles in varying traffic & speeds (don't set the cruise) and it'll be fixed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
welp..turns out y'all were right....I was banking on it :)

I should be getting a rebuilt compressor, etc and have the prob fixed shortly.

I've got TONS more probs all the sudden however:eek:

check out my new thread

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd spend the extra $$ and get a new accumulator too as it's probably loaded with crap from the dying compressor. Make sure to use tons of A/C flush too cause I had a lot of crud up in the condenser.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,424 Posts
If it's got R-12 have it converted to R-134a since you're replacing the compressor anyway. It'll save a lot of money in the future and even right now since having it recharged with R-12 is way more expensive than R-134a.

·
Registered
316 Posts
yeah, i cleaned my iac a while back, it wasnt that dirty a and the parts moved easily, but i will look at it again, or just buy a new one,

upon doing a search i found that the test for your iac is to unplug it and if nothing changes than you have a bad iac, well when i unplug mine the engine shuts off... soooo whats that mean :D

anything else that controls the idle that could be replaced, im having a brain fart at the moment and cant remember the name of the thing i was thinking about replacing as a test, was 80 bucks at napa...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts