Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I have C.R.S
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as stated in the title I have a case of disappearing moter oil. I change it every 3,000 miles or every 3 months. I check it atleast once a month just to check the level. After taking out the dipstick and whipping it down, and putting back in and removing it again. To get a clean reading theres no oil on the stick This gets me flustered because I have a new oil pan and Gasget on the BKO. 96 modle with a 351 in it. Incase yall are wondering the year. I use the right filter made by Fram and I put in 6-7 quats of Valvaline 10w-40 max life in it when I change it. I know its not leaking out around the new pan or the filter I checked the plug no leak there. I looked and felt around the valve covers and heads and around the timing covers. Nothing no leaks anywhere the guage reads normal inside when its running. There is no blue smoke coming out the exhaust so I am not burning it. So where is it going? The dipstick is stock and the new pan is a stock replacement So it should be down in the oil. Any ideas or Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Nemesis

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
If you are losing that much oil there should be a sign of it somewhere. The only places it could be is a leak from the oil pan and or seals, in which case you would see drops under your truck, you are burning it either from the combustion chamber or it is leaking from one or both valve covers and getting burned on the headers, or all the above. pressure wash your engine and just keep a close eye on it

·
Registered
5,407 Posts

Just one more question.....

What did you do just prior to this happening, the last thing you did?

·
I have C.R.S
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have that checked out with everything eles. Its a good point you made Bronco&bombs. Thanks for the tip. I did take it down and presure washed it. I also added 3 quarts of oil to get it back up on the dipstick where it says it should be. I did notice that the tip of the stick itself has a small S shaped bend in it. I am wondering if that could be part of the problem The Check engine light did come on after presure washing it and adding the 3 quarts of oil. I don't know if it was the preasure washing that knocked something loose or if I put too much oil in but its going to go to a shop down the road, and going to get it fully checked out sences I don't have the tools are shop to work on it in. There is only so much I can do with a total income of just under 38k a year between me and my Girlfriend.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
make sure you have the right dipstick. if it was leaking you would now it and if it was burning it out you would smell it. When it reads empty pull the plug and see how much is in there.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You could have bad piston rings or another internal problem. Have you done a leak down test? Have you pulled the spark plugs to see what color they are or if they are oil fouled? Checked the plenum for evidence of oil blow by? What color is your exhaust?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Here is how I see it:

first, you need to verify you are checking it correctly. Sounds silly, but yes, you need to make sure you put it all the way in, so it's seated. Then wait a minute. I noticed that when I wipe the dipstick, stick it in, and pull back out right away, the oil is barely on the stick, no way to get a good reading. Let it sit there 10 seconds. Now, if you do find your oil level is dropping, then it is either:

1) leaking externally or internally, or
2) burning.

It can leak onto the ground, or you'll see it gunking up the lower part of your motor...rear main seal, valve covers, oil pan, etc. or it can leak internally into either a coolant passage, or through seals into the combustion chamber. It can do this latter leaking through the valves on startup, or while driving (or both). A compression test would likely be your ticket here to help confirm. You can check your coolant to make sure that isn't happening.

Be very careful with checking the level though. overfilling not good.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
the oil may be on the thin side. i had to goto 2-50. the thinner oil turns into a vaper and is sucked into the motor and burned up. it is not a ton at a time so i was not able to see the oil burn signs. but i knew i had no leaks and there was nothing different to cause this. after the 20-50 it stays in the motor longer...mike

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
collinsperformance said:
the oil may be on the thin side. i had to goto 2-50. the thinner oil turns into a vaper and is sucked into the motor and burned up. it is not a ton at a time so i was not able to see the oil burn signs. but i knew i had no leaks and there was nothing different to cause this. after the 20-50 it stays in the motor longer...mike
His motor is a newer one Mike, my '95 351 recommends 5w-30 from the factory. Has never burned a drop of oil. So if it's time to start using a thicker oil, he has wear issues.

·
I have C.R.S
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I Checked the dipstick and it had a slight bend in it that I knew didn't belong. ( Because I checked My Girlfriends Bronco and hers didn't have the bend in the stick. Her BKO is Is Identical to mine right down to the paint Job ) So I carefully straightened mine out. Did a compleate oil change Used 10w-40 Royal purple Fully Synthetic Oil With Moter Craft FL-820s Oil Filter. I am going to keep an eye on things see how it goes. I will do a compresion test when I have the spare cash. Going to check the plugs this weekend. I Hope it is as simple as it appears. I checked it all over again for exsternal leaks. Didn't find any. I know the truck is getting older I have had it sences March of 2002. I keep the maintance up on it regularly. I change the oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months. My drive to work is about 6 miles round trip so I am lucky to put 3k miles on it in 3 months time. I have Changed out the oil pan with the stock replacement pan and Gasget. Did a basic overall tuneup on it new plugs filters plug wires the usual things. It is nearing to 100K mile mark its about 3k from it so I am exspecting it to need a rebuild sometime in the future. if it is leaking its doing it interally I know its not burning it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Dude, you don't know much about these vehicles do you?

100k is nothing for a 351 in a bronco. If this truck has been taken care of, you are probably ok till around 150k or so, then who knows. Some go beyond 200k.

I would however stop wasting money on royal purple synthetic since you mentioned your budget. You do a change every 3k or 3 months, use 5W-30 like the manuf. recommends (check your manual) though 10w-40 is probably ok. Synthetic, unless you've been using it for some time, is just that much more likely to leak. I would recommend valvolines oil for high mileage engines. non-synthetic.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
You'e absolutly right, shadowfax, and thanks for participating in my sig line. :thumbup :toothless

·
I have C.R.S
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your right I don't know much about Broncos its my first one. Its my first V8 So I am not that familiar with them. I have owned 2 rangers an 87 and a 89 both with the 2.9 v6. Befor that I owned 2 datsun's pickups from 76 & 77. So I do have much I have to learn and willing too. If you are all willing to help me with questions I will undoubtedly have. I haven't used Royal purple before so this is the first time, And more then likely I won't be using it again. I usually do use the Valvaline Max life. I have always use the 10w 40 because It gives the best protection from summer through winter. It has worked well for me in the past. I am hoping that Its not that serious a problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts