Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface. The girlfriend and I generally head 30 minutes over to the Quad Cities just about every week, 1-2 times a week to eat, shop, whatever. Some of these days I like to head into Petco/whatever pet store and I'll admit it, it's to scam on people with their dogs and get to play with pets since I don't have one. I'll usually make my way into the room where they have cats up for adoption, and look at the cats. I'm not a cat person, but I'm a pet person and any loving animal will get it in return. Dog, cat, rabbit, horse, whatever. Last time I went to my grandpa's, I ended up playing fetch wit his neighbor's screw-loose goat. Yes...a goat playing fetch.

Anyways, in my visit in the cat room, there was one particular cat who I almost had to adopt right there. He was a calm fellow laying in his box and I just laid my finger inside the cage on the blanket. He got up with a yawn, walked a couple steps, and laid down, putting one paw on mine. Then the other. And from there I probably spent 10-15 minutes playing with the cat. He was very calm, wasn't hyperactive like 85% of cats seem to be, just seemed like me.

To the point of this post. When he was rescued, he had to get the lion cut because his fur was so matted that it was the only choice. My question is, is it ok to do the lion cut to cats? Does it bother them? Does anybody know how much it costs to get it done? I'd like to get a pet very much, but I'm not home enough to have a dog. I work 3 days a week from 6-6, and the other days aren't short either, and I've got 2 days off. I just don't feel comfortable having a dog and having to put him in a kennel, or possibly deal with barking in my apartment situation. So, a cat is the only legit option.

This is pretty rambling, but it'd feel good to give a cat that needs a home a place to live, and also get a buddy out of it too. I just don't want to have to deal with the shedding being so bad, hence the thoughts of a lion cut for the cat, or like a 3/4 lion cut and do it more often assuming cost isn't prohibitive.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have had cats all my life and they are great animals. I have a small bias to them over dogs but dogs don't have the personality of cats. If a cat don't like you it'll let you know. Dogs like anyone who feds them and talks to them like babies. I have two cats now and they are completely different personalities. The one is a skinny little calico that only wants to do what it wants and wont let you touch her unless she wants a back scratch and hates the garage and only goes in to eat and sleep. The other is a fat sum bitch that only stays in the garage and the one time he left he got lost and was only two houses away but couldn't find his way back (seriously). He however wants everybody to let him sit on your lap like a baby and cuddle. Cats are great and if one likes you it's always will and will be loyal, but if you don't click it's gonna be like a roomate you never see but your always cleaning up it"s mess (cats shit)

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
My cat likes to sleep right next to my face at night.... i think that's rare for cats.. but mine does.. haha.. other than that, (And clawing up the furniture) the cat is a good house guest.. we have a couple dogs too. its all preference.. all i ask is that you get one of the "rescue" cats they have or whatever.. way way too many extra pets in the world to be supporting breading programs IMO

as far as cutting the cats hair.. (thats what you mean right?) i know cats can be like clipper'd or whatever.. but you haveto be VERY careful not to cut its skin thats all i know.. i skimmed you're post anyway :b

·
Custom User Title
1,322 Posts
Ha..sounds like my situation. I had made a trip to Petsmart to pick up a new collar for my dog and saw this long haired cat in the bottom corner of the cat room. Thing was so matted it as crazy.. made me wonder why they didn't take her over and shave her since they had a grooming area like 50 ft away.. Anyway I returned to the store a cpl weeks later for something else and she was still there. Just seemed so sad laying there all matted up and generally looking miserable. So I go in to see her and once an employee opened up her cage for me I just couldn't believe how calm and sweet she was.. I ended up adopting her on the spot. A friend worked at a grooming place and gave her a lion cut for me. She was totally fine with it, grew out in a little over a month.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
Cats with long fur will just develop mats along its underbelly, but properly-weaned cats will already know how to remove them themselves. If, on the other hand, you get one that was not properly weaned and raised (like my dear departed Dusty), the mats will get bad, and then they'll need to be shaved off. Do it with a vet, though, because if your cat gets easily spooked (like Dusty), they can very lightly sedate it, and they know how to handle a cat without hurting it. Make sure you take it to the vet immediately for a checkup, as that will acquaint your cat and vet right off the bat, and you can pick up some anti-flea stuff for it, and buy a slicker brush to keep the coat groomed and soft.

·
Not Frilly.
951 Posts
i have seen cats shaved and they dont seem to mind, it's all preferance as stated up there somwere, we have 2 cats one named nala and one named salem, salem is really calm and relaxed hes my buddy and when he wants you to wake up and pet him he sticks his face right in your face and licks your ears. Nala on the other hand is a huge hyperactive nutball and she has a backwards meow. i love the differing personalities you find in cats

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
They can be shaved. My in laws has one of those long haired cats that doesn't shed and it gets cut every two months or so down to the skin due to the mats he gets. The cat is 15 or 16 and it tolerates it just fine.

I was never much of a cat person but my wife is and we now have two. We have a torti and a black cat. The torti is pretty normal. Skiddish, doesn't like the dogs, only comes around when she wants attention. She does play fetch though and will eat damn near anything. The black cat is weird for a cat. She is like a lap dog. When someone comes into the house or rings the bell, she runs TO the door and greets visitors. She follows my wife around the house constantly and absolutely loves our two dogs who get totally freaked out when she tries to rub against them or sleep beside them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have two cats. They are actually staring me down right now. But my wife and I just had our first child, and she wanted them shaved since they shed, bad. My sister, her boyfriend, and I shaved them with my clippers. It turned out ok. I would not recommend trying it yourself, unless you cat is really calm. My sister shaved her cat the week before with no problems, while it took 3 of us to shave mine.

I was in the same situation your are, wanting a pet but long hours at work. So we got cats. My younger cat will sit and play fetch with me for hours, if I find the right toy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts