Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
Get one of the newer panthers, wooo nice riding cars malcolm. Will make you want to send those carbed antiques to the junkyard. Last of the real luxury domestic cars.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get one of the newer panthers, wooo nice riding cars malcolm. Will make you want to send those carbed antiques to the junkyard. Last of the real luxury domestic cars.
Theyz jes so dern complex GentBent4X4

I luvvvvvvvvvvvvved my 90 Town Car, with the 5.0 litre and real fuel injection and that 4 speed OD trans, right up to when the driver's frame rail rotted through.

That said, the newer 4.6s and the newest form of 5.0 litre scare hell outta me for complexity !

Also there is no other domestic car, I know of, that depreciates faster than a Town Car, even though that's part of why I luves them (me being the used buyer n' all).

Sixlitre

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Cool project. I never knew town cars had a name like Panther. What years qualify as a Panther?

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
Hot rod Lincoln 2.0

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
Cool project. I never knew town cars had a name like Panther. What years qualify as a Panther?
89 and older are box? 90-97 is aeros, 98-11 towncar, grand marq, crown vics are panthers. A lot of nice ones on cl, they are getting into the stages broncos were in the early/mid 2000s. Plentiful and cheap.

That said, the newer 4.6s and the newest form of 5.0 litre scare hell outta me for complexity !

Also there is no other domestic car, I know of, that depreciates faster than a Town Car, even though that's part of why I luves them (me being the used buyer n' all).
Just like working on our trucks, all the info is on the web. Few months of trial and error learning and you're golden. Same engine/trans as a ford truck, nothing complicated. Don't let those fancy coil on plug setups scare you. Coils are $50 ea locally, you can get all 8 for $38 shipped off ebay. Same exact part just relabeled. Who laughing to the bank?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
"Lavender would've been t!ts." Um, yeah, OK, sounds like it's time to mail in your Man Card....

Otherwise, that's exactly what guys doing swaps should be doing. He has tackled a complicated blown engine by doing his due diligence with the research necessary to ensure everything works. If I had his kind of money, I would be swapping in a Lightning 5.8L into the Chero. It's also the kind of work needed to uprate an older Bronco to a MAF roller engine (and perhaps, OBD II).

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
I need this car in my life. Funny how I had a towncar of that body, and had nearly the same wants for it. I wanted to put a Mark 8 engine in it.

I miss that car, one of my favorites.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm not sure where they came up with the name "panther platform".

Maybe because they're so lean, light and stealthy ???????:rofl::histerica

I dunno, but because of their depreciation and plentifulness you can pick them up for a super bargain.

They're huge inside and have cavernous trunks and get very good gas mileage for the size of them. Their tires and brakes and many components are WAY cheaper than mid sized and import stuff.

Basically they're fleet vehicles and, if serviced right, can go WAY WAY longer than Nipponese cars.

There's 4.6s on the Town Car forum, unopened, with 1.6 million MILES on them. Try that in you Toyota taxi !!!!!!!!!

They're also a dream to drive on the road and are so quiet inside it's like a stereo listening chamber.

Best kept secret out there IMO

Sixlitre

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
I fixed up a 90 Town Car for my bro Geoff; for us two ginormous fatsos, it has plenty of room, but we need the seat belt extenders. I think it's interior length and width is bigger than the box models.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I love the Stinkin' Lincoln Clown Car. It's the best modern boat you can drive. In the early 2000s it was the largest passenger car being made in the entire western hemisphere. For weighing almost as much as a Bronco I don't know how it gets as good gas mileage as it does. Too bad it never got the Mark VIII's version of the 4.6L

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
I picked up a 2006 Crown Vic Police Interceptor with 95k on it for $2200. Its my DD. Great car. Gets me 19 city, 22 highway, handles great, smooth powerful acceleration, tons of room etc etc. Its a GREAT car and the cheap price makes it even better.

My ONLY complaint is the traction control (or lack of). Its a long car, light in the ass with a open diff powered by a V8. When it gets wet, its very difficult to keep the tires from spinning when I accelerate from a stop. That could probably be improved by a better choice of tires but IME, would still be an issue.

I plan to drive this and my 78 until I am too old to drive anymore :thumbup

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
Interesting that your P71 doesn't have a limited slip diff, unless it's so worn, it doesn't even try to engage. I'd suggest finding a replacement LS axle or pop in an LS unit; you'll be much happier for it.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Interesting that your P71 doesn't have a limited slip diff, unless it's so worn, it doesn't even try to engage. I'd suggest finding a replacement LS axle or pop in an LS unit; you'll be much happier for it.
Yeah, I have thought about the LS. Its on "the list" ;) I am sure it would make a huge difference in the traction control on the car. I dont know whether this one is just worn, or if it came open. I do know that there is NO attempt for both tires to hook up. One simply spins until I am up to speed or back off the gas...

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
The best way to know is the axle tag, if it's still there; the bottom line will have the gear ratio, listed as, say, "3 08" (what it was in my Colony Park), if it's open. If it's an LS, there will be an "L" in between the "3" and the "08."

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fixed up a 90 Town Car for my bro Geoff; for us two ginormous fatsos, it has plenty of room, but we need the seat belt extenders. I think it's interior length and width is bigger than the box models.
Yeah you know it Andy

My buddy tells me they were the largest car built since 91. That's the last time there was a slightly larger Cadillac. Since then the LINCOLN has been king !

GM basically handed over the police fleet contract to Ford after 96' when they retired their RWD Impala. Ford owned the market from 97 through 2011 when the retired the panther platform.....idiots.

I think the Charger is going to be the PI of choice from here on in. What fleet manager wants to hear "twin turbo, all wheel drive" when he can have a RWD 390 horse Hemi capable of outperforming the Chev and the Ford, with more room and more reliability ?

The panthers were real six passenger vehicles. NOBODY makes real big passenger cars anymore. they're all 2X2s and heaven help that 5th person squashed into the back seat.

It was that HUGE trunk that weened me off my Bronco's cubic storage capacity so well in 06', after Katrina, when the "panther" took over as DD and the Bronco became a weekender.

For all their size my 90' 5.0 litre got better mileage than several neighbours midsized V-6 rides.

They depreciated faster than a bulldozer out of an airplane hits the ground, but that only worked in my favour, as a second owner.

Never understood GM guys willing to pay three and four times as much money for a used fleet vehicle, when you can get more luxury and better mileage from a panther.

For the GM sheep.....there's PLENTY of limo operators on the panther sites with 1.6 million miles.....on an unopened engine !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
829 Posts
2003+ crown vics/panthers are your best bet. That way you avoid the '96-'01 plastic intake manifold (brilliant idea there Ford) and you get the better handling and suspension of the 2003+ models.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,513 Posts
Way back in the early '90s, I had a convo with a Washington State Trooper about the cars they had from the late '70s (Moparts), through the '80s (GM), to the '90s (Ford); he said that the St. Regis would hit the shop about every 12-15K and the Caprices every 35-40K for breakdowns. When I talked to him, he had a '92 4.6L with 88K, and it had yet to hit the shop for a breakdown.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
get a 98 or newer at minimum (good deal cars), even better if it's a 2003 or newer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Town_Car
Those are all ugly ass cars. The last decent looking Townie rolled off the floor in 97. After that they just got too round and fat old lady looking. They stopped looking like an old man car and started looking like an old lady car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts