Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this site, everyone is very helpful

Anyways.. Could someone tell me what kind of coil spring compressor I need for my f150? There seems to be alot of different kinds out there.

Also I have a 2 inch coil spacer right now and I want to get rid of it and the stock spring and put in a 2 inch lift spring instead. My question is about the lower spring nut (the big sucker)..I'm guessing the one I have now is longer because of the coil spacer?? and if so will this nut still work without the spacer?

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Some spacer come with an extension for the bolt, not all so yours will depend on that. I didn't need a compressor to remove my stock springs, just a floor jack and jack stands.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Some spacer come with an extension for the bolt, not all so yours will depend on that. I didn't need a compressor to remove my stock springs, just a floor jack and jack stands.
Without a highlift or something to raise the vehicle frame, how would you have gotten the tension off the spring in order to remove it?

I do have some harbor freight cheapy strut compressors (I believe is what they are actually for), but really do not need them as long as I can get the frame up some.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
Jack stands on frame with wheels off the ground, the jack up the front end a little to put pressure on spring while unbolting, then unbolt spring nut then slowly release jack.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You don't need a spring compressor for TTB springs. Jack it up from the frame, if your jack won't go high enough to get the tire off the ground put another jack under the balljoint pull the wheel then let that jack down. Unbolt the clip at the top of the spring and you're good.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can rent a strut compressors from Auto Zone or a local parts store. I have used those a couple of times even to do my TTB and it makes it easier if you an impact gun, just 3 or 4 pulls of the trigger and you're done. When you rent them make sure you get the two piece one that goes on the outside of the coil. They will try to get you get the coil compressor that goes on the inside and it does not work as well.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
You can rent a strut compressors from Auto Zone or a local parts store. I have used those a couple of times even to do my TTB and it makes it easier if you an impact gun, just 3 or 4 pulls of the trigger and you're done. When you rent them make sure you get the two piece one that goes on the outside of the coil. They will try to get you get the coil compressor that goes on the inside and it does not work as well.
true on the inside coil compressor, now I remember why I bought strut compressors, 2 that grab from the outside. and don't waste money renting, if you want them they are often on sale at HF for less than $10.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts