Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions about my '95 ford bronco.... It has a 351 AODE auto transfer case 8.8 rear end. Now my questions are as follows.
I am pretty sure since my trans is operating fine (shifts great 1-2, 2-3 have yet to get it into over drive and doing the trans fluid is next its a little dirty but now burnt) that my VSS is the reason for my speedo bounce?

Next is what would cause the camber of the front tires to point in? (looking at the front of the bronco they look like this /...\) is that normal? it looks to be a few degrees inward on the top.

That is all for now thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the vss controls the anti lock brakes, your gonna want to look at the speed sensor or cable mounted on the transmission or transfer case for the speedometer. i dont know about on a 95 (cable speedo), but my 89 used to do that before the speedometer gears in the transfer case tailhousing gave up the ghost completely. if i remember right, there is more than one vss on your vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Replace the speed sensor in the rear pig. Easy fix. 95 doesn't have a cable. The other thing to check is the wires. Have a 98 ranger that bounced around and sometimes went out completely. Replaced the speed sensor and had the same problem. Found that the wire took a crap. 6 inches of wire two connectors and problem solved.

There might be more than one sensor and I think they might be in the hubs. Those are the ones that control the ABS.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I took a hammer and punch to the sensors in my hubs for the ABS, no problems with speedo.

The camber of your bronco can be straightened a little at an alignment shop, or at home if you're real real good. The way these front ends are setup though, you'll never get your tires to ride completely flat like they should, that and many other reasons are why folks on here are doing the solid axle swap. The TTB front end you have (and me as well) does give for a little better ride comfort though. You may have a bad bushing or two somewhere, when you get it aligned by a competent shop tell them to check around for any bad bushings.

Keep your tires rotated more often than you would on most cars, replace your shocks (that's pretty inexpensive and easy to do at home) and have your truck aligned at a shop that knows these front ends, I wouldn't take it to your normal alignment shop, call around and find a shop that does alot with 4x4's then ask them if they have experience with a ford Twin Traction Beam.

Even with alignments and tire rotations your truck is going to wear out tires faster than most vehicles, that's just the nature of the beast...

as per your speedo, the above fellas have it right, check your wiring and then if that doesn't show any problems replace the sensor.

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HAAAAA got moved to a NOOB section LMAO..... I put it in the 80-96 bronco tech because everything I looked up was saying my trans was bad or there was a CEL/ABS light on I forgot to mention that they were not and my trans shifts great for a 167,000. Anyway pulled the VSS from the rear diff, cleaned it now it is less bouncey(spl?) the wires are plugged in and the sensor is clean. Now my next quest well next 2 are: Where is the location of the VSS (either the tranny or the t-case) haven't been looking under that part of my BKO yet.Is there a write up on how to replace one? If not I would be more then willing to do a write up with pics.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Replace the speed sensor in the rear pig. Easy fix. 95 doesn't have a cable. The other thing to check is the wires. Have a 98 ranger that bounced around and sometimes went out completely. Replaced the speed sensor and had the same problem. Found that the wire took a crap. 6 inches of wire two connectors and problem solved.

There might be more than one sensor and I think they might be in the hubs. Those are the ones that control the ABS.
my mustang had the same problem

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just your springs settling could put your tires camber off like that
Well this truck wass sitting for about a year.... tires were low and now that I drove it up and down the road I noticed they are more verticle also noticed a wandering sensation like it wants tdrift left or right now mind you I haven't drove it all that far. Steering is responsive I move the steering wheel and it wants to whip around.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,185 Posts
Did you back in before looking at the camber? TTBs are prone to sort of squat & give it that look when backing.

As for the speed sensor, I think by 95 they use the VSS in the rear axle for trans, speedo, & abs. In some of the older ones like mine, there's a separate sensor in the t-case, but I think it's gone by 95.

And like Stan said, it's an E4OD.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,784 Posts
Anyway pulled the VSS from the rear diff, cleaned it now it is less bouncey(spl?) the wires are plugged in and the sensor is clean.
Where is the location of the VSS? Is there a write up on how to replace one?
You already answered that first question and you already know how to replace it ;)

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you back in before looking at the camber? TTBs are prone to sort of squat & give it that look when backing.

As for the speed sensor, I think by 95 they use the VSS in the rear axle for trans, speedo, & abs. In some of the older ones like mine, there's a separate sensor in the t-case, but I think it's gone by 95.

And like Stan said, it's an E4OD.
O I know it is an E4OD I goofed about what type it is...... now for the VSS it is located on the top of the rear diff. housing and has a 4 prong connector going to it.

·
penis
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dammittttttttttttttt...... So I replaced the VSS today and drove it it still bounces (speedometer). I have no ABS or CEL both lights work when the key is on before starting, trans shift great not hard or firm nice and smooth the ABS works as well (slammed on the brakes on loose gravel to verify get a pulsating pedal with no lockup at either wheels), I am pretty sure the previous owner(s) had a boat they towed with this from the sand I found I am thinking the connector for the sensor is shot wires look fine. It starts to bounce from around 8 MPH on up once i am set (using my foot) it will bounce between a 5MPH difference I.E. if it is hovering on 50MPH it wil bounce between 50-55 mph. Any help is well appreciated. If I set the cruise the pedal slams to the floor and it wants to accelerate I know there is a recall from the cruise would that cause it?

·
Registered
648 Posts
VSS reads the tone ring in the rear diff. If it is missing a tooth or two that might cause it to bounce. I don't know how it could lose a tooth though.

Check the wiring from your VSS to your PSOM.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well this truck wass sitting for about a year.... tires were low and now that I drove it up and down the road I noticed they are more verticle also noticed a wandering sensation like it wants tdrift left or right now mind you I haven't drove it all that far. Steering is responsive I move the steering wheel and it wants to whip around.
if truck was sitting for a year on low tires, your tires are no longer round... I.e. flat spots... if you have a buddy that has your bolt pattern, regardless of tire size, as accuracy isnt what we are testing here, put them on the back and drive it...and see if it still does it... you may think Im crazy, and you might be right, but thats easier than tearing into your diff...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts