Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search, but didn't find what i was looking for. ok, here goes. i replaced my steering gearbox in march and replaced it a couple of months before that. when i replaced it in march, i noticed that there was some play in the input shaft that the steering shaft bolts to. my front end is acting up again and the shop said that the alignment was ok. should i try replacing the gear box again or try a different shop for an alignment? second, i have dual steering stabilizers. would those cause the steering to act funky on a stock height bronco with 31" tires? i got them from jeff's bronco graveyard and they are the ones that you have to drill a hole in each of your shock tower mounts. if i was to remove them, would the shock tower mount be ok, or would i be looking at replaceing them. i can't remember how big of a hole i had to drill, i want to say 5/8", but i can't remember. thanks and sorry if this was covered before. jeremiah

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I would say it is not your gear box. I think it must be bad ball joints or tie rod ends. Have you checked either of those? Also check the output shaft of the gear box for a loose pitaman arm.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Justshootme84 said:
Have you tried messing with the adjustment screw on the gear box? You can tighten it 1/4 turn and take up most of that slack. Also, be sure the steering shaft is O.K., no wear in the rag joint, etc. Good luck!
:stupid

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll get the ball joints and tie rods checked out saturday. i don't think it's the steering shaft rag joints cause i installed a borgeson steering shaft somewhere between december 2002 and march 2003, can't remember for sure. i'll check to see if the nut that holds the pitman arm is loose when i change the oil on wednesday. thanks everyone, i'll let you know what i find out. oh yeah, i replaced all of the tie rods in august 2002 and i got them from autozone. would they go bad in only a year? just curious. if they did, atleast i don't have to drop any money on new ones, lifetime warranty. maybe i should have gotten moog tie rods instead, had to go cheap cause of funding.

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
turned out to be the ball joints on the driver's side. got them replaced and it is much better. getting a front end alignment monday morning. now i have to get the defrost working right, patch the holes in the floor, change the tailgate, fix my pushbar, and change my tranny fluid and axle fluid. thanks everyone for the suggestions.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well who makes a good kit to rebuild the entire steering linkage with new ball joints etc? My 86 has 250,000 miles on it and is as loose as a goose!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok, well what I meant to ask was: Are there any aftermarket steering rods and ball joints that are BETTER than stockers or even the stock configuration?

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
no, not really. Brands may bebetter, like moog for bj's etc. You could try swapping to f250/350 tierods if you were beding yours a lot, but it is arguably better to do so.
I would replace with stock replacement parts from moog or trw(? i think is the brand) that is about the best you can do with the ttb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts