Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about the autometer replacement instrument cluster for 1999-03 mustangs? The SKU of the one is question is 7002_n. It has evidently been discontinued as autometer has no information on their site about them other than installation instructions. Specifically what I am looking for, is are these just standard autometer gauges in a new cluster? I realize they are designed to work with the original clusters PCB. The reason I am asking, is I just picked one up on fleabay for $88 brand new in the box. I think I am going to french it into my dash on the '88 bronco project. If the gauges are just standard autometer gauges, I shouldn't have any trouble. If they have to use the mustang PCB, does anyone know anything about the SCP network protocol that the later model mustangs use? Is it hackable? Any threads or links?

Here is a picture of the cluster, the one I bought is the 120MPH version, but plenty of speedo for a BKO.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one knows anything about them then? I guess when UPS drops them off I will detail my findings for you all if anyone is interested.

From looking at it more and more (like the three pictures on the autometer website), it appears the gauges are just the air core motors. If that is the case, I will likely be able to take the stock gauges I have now apart and use their motor driver electronics.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a reply from autometer today, here is what they had to say...

Autometer Tech Support said:
I suggest that you simply do not use this. The cluster is simply a lit board, gauge faces, and meter movements. They depend on the appropriate, factory circuit board to function correctly. Without it, it will not function.
Thank you.
Cory
Tech/Service
Now I have to make it work, since I have been told that it is basically impossible. I took my factory cluster apart today, if the autometer cluster is what I expect, I don't think it will be much trouble. The '94 has an electronic speedo, and so I am probably in luck. Virtually all electronic speedometers and tachometers are just a air core motor, very standard configuration. I am fairly certain I can use the micro from my factory speedo to run the autometer one. I may have to use my old digital odometer as well, I will have to see theirs first. The tach, I have a air core driver from an older sunpro tach, it should work for the autometer one as well. The rest of the gauges are pretty easy. The challanges with the speedometer are going to be getting it tuned correctly. The truck speedo goes to 80 MPH and the autometer one goes to 120MPH over the same sweep. I will download the data sheets for the speedo driver IC in the truck cluster though, and see what I need to mod to align it. It will take some work, but it should be pimpin' if it works out.

No wonder they discontinued it for lack of sales. $499 is pretty steep for what amounts to a pretty set of white face gauges...

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
457 Posts
Tell us how it turns out if you decide on doing it.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts