Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am an avid rock crawler constantly looking at ways to improve my Bronco. Every time I wheel I am always slamming my land anchor (gas tank). So I began to read many posts on tank modifications, and I found many. I wanted to do this without buying a fuel cell and worrying with all the modifications. I do like the one by bronkzilla, I think, which uses the stock tank and simply, well maybe not simply, raising the tank to place half of it in the bed of the bronco. This works except I did not want to lose any storage and I did not see any need in keeping the 32 gallons.
So after inspecting the tank I realized that it was a two part tank in which the two flanges were welded together. Then, it hit me. Cut the bottom half of the tank off and weld a piece of plate over the whole. If I did this my tank would be approximately half the size, and hence being flush with the frame rail.
I pulled the tank, removed all the fuel I could, and then cleaned the outside really well.

I would not recommend anyone doing this, because of risk of injury or even death.

After cleaning the outside I poured a significant amount of soap and then water into the tank, neutralizing the gas. I poured this out and rinsed it out four or five times. After doing this I placed the tank in the middle of the yard and hung a paper towel out the sending unit opening, taping off all other openings (so all fumes if any, would come out that only hole). Then I lit it. It burned and then fell in burning up in the tank. So I think it is safe.
I cut the bottom half of the tank, leaving the flange, off. Sorry don't have any pictures to contribute until later but you will see.
I bought a piece of 16 gauge steal to cover the opening, roughly, a sixteenth of an inch smaller than the flange.
Next is the problem of the sending unit and low pressure pump. I took the stock sending unit and bent it over a piece of wood to make it shallower. Be careful not to kink the steal hose. With the bottom half off of the tank I bent the sending unit until it bottomed out on the new plate to be welded on.
I think that anyone with enough mig experience can do this. So I welded the flange on. After welding the flange on, just to cover myself, I bought some tank sealer from a auto parts store and covered the hole weld, just to be safe.
When I bought the cover plate I also bought a new skid plate which will hold up the tank. I bought a piece of 3/16" steel. I think that any thickness will do, this was just what I chose.

Here is some pics of the welded up tank, painted.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Before painting the skid plate I held it up to its new home and marked and drilled the holes for placement.
[/IMG]
Then I bolted the new skid plate and tank up.
Turned the key and all is well.

Here is a pic from the rear.
[/IMG]

Sorry I did not take any more pics, but I get excited and don't think about it while I am doing it.
Any Questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would like to know if anyone does not like this write-up, because I would like to do another on my dovetail bronco project.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Interesting.

Your way is probably cheaper, and definately more creative, but some F150's came with a 19-gallon tank that sits at about the same height...

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
Interesting.

Your way is probably cheaper, and definately more creative, but some F150's came with a 19-gallon tank that sits at about the same height...

:smilie_slap What a :lowblow :toothless

O-well, still something different. :thumbup

KC

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Byron I think it looks great man. Kinda gives you a little protection under there where the stock 19 gallon tank can't. Like Redwagon said I would probably turn the bolts over to make a little smoother but thats it. :thumbup

Oh and not to highjack your thread but check this out. I want to see you there. Wheeling at Grayrock

·
ladies enjoy his
4,280 Posts
definitely a different look at it. i think with a little more how-to, some more detailed pics, and a way to get those bolts mounted flush it would be very good. probably have a few people give it a try

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
one thing I would suggest is turning the bolts the other direction.
Counter-sink the holes and use a flat, allen head bolt. Also, if I went to that work, I would have made a sump in the bottom plate so you don't lose fuel at an angle.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Counter-sink the holes and use a flat, allen head bolt. Also, if I went to that work, I would have made a sump in the bottom plate so you don't lose fuel at an angle.
I was going to say this as well. You could also cut and weld a cover the same size in the skid, and all would be well.
Also, any pictures of the bronco as a whole? Sounds like a beast.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
with allthe work you did, you could have just made a new tank up.

I made one for my 78 bronco. it hangs about 1 inch below the frame and the top sits in the stock location. the bottom is 1/4" thick so it has a skid plate built in. and it holds about 28-29 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
You guys should see this thing in person. Pics do not do it justice

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Cool idea and nice work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts