Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be getting a '90 model Bronco for FREE, here's the catch. The E4OD is shot. It has a 351 in it, is it a roller cam motor or flat tappet? Can a C6 be swapped in in place of the E4OD or is that too much of a hassle? Will the front fenders and grill assembly from an '84 fit the '90 or will nothing line up? I really prefer the '84 front end and we have an '84 already. The body on the '90 is actually in great shape, but then again so is the body on our '84.

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
there is a ton of info on the E40D to C6, do a search there is a pletora of info, reviving the turd is a good thread w/ a ton of info, so now that the trans info is ALL covered, i know nothing about the rest of your stuff, but im sure someone will chime in

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Lots of info on the e4od to c6, just search for it and you'll find it.

Roller cam or flat IDK

As for the front fenders and grill, I believe that if you swap the entire front clip (fenders, hood, bumper, grill) i will work and look ok. There were 4 major body styles for the FSB; 78-79, 80-86, 87-91, 92-96.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bronco1 said:
Non roller lifter.
I'm curious if it is one of the roller capable but flat tappet equipped then?

Steve83 said:
I gotta agree that the '80-86 looks better than '87-91. Yes, it'll bolt on if you swap EVERY piece of painted metal forward of the windshield (you can keep the '90 wiper valance & core support if you want), plus the bumper. The lower rear bolts of the fenders won't line up, and you may have to do some cutting/welding to get them right.
That's good to hear, thanks Steve.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The E4OD to C6 trans swap seems to be the way to go for the guys who plan on wheeling their trucks quite a bit, and not see too much highway time at all with them.
Most every person I talked to with a C6 complains about the low MPG on the highway......all because of no overdrive and a three speed.

I could not deal with no OD!!!

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Streetgang said:
The E4OD to C6 trans swap seems to be the way to go for the guys who plan on wheeling their trucks quite a bit, and not see too much highway time at all with them.
Most every person I talked to with a C6 complains about the low MPG on the highway......all because of no overdrive and a three speed.

I could not deal with no OD!!!
My 87 came from the factory with a 302 and C6 and I can deal with the mileage issue. Would like a little more top end but this keeps me out of trouble. I wouldn't trade the C6 for an AOD or E4OD because with the little I know about trannys the less I have to get into them the better, and the C6 is like the Timex of transmissions... Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts