Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Throttle Cable.
I have a near-new throttle cable on the Bronco. It was only used for a little bit before the Bronco was "retired" for a few years. However, when the cable is attached to the TB, there is excessive slack in the cab, causing the accelerator pedal to rest on the floor and having to mash it into the floorboard to get the truck to move (the pedal has a crack because of this). There is probably about an inch of excess slack. What is the best way to solve this problem?

2. Timing.
I have seen pictures of the "regular" SPOUT connector, and seen the two places for them to be hiding. Two of my friends and I could not find the typical plug-type of connector. Were there in-line SPOUT connectors? I have a round plug/connector coming off of the distributor that has one wire going in one side, then the connector, then one wire coming out the other side. Could this be it?

3. Transmission.
Are there adjustments for the AOD transmission? I've seen the TV cable article, but isn't that for the E4OD?

4. Gears.
The truck was powerless before with the very bad engine in it. It is pretty decent on flat ground thus far compared to what it used to be (still tinkering with everything, just took it for a test drive last night), but still kind of "meh" going up hills. It has wide, 33" tires on it. My '86 F150 has 32.9" tires on it with a 351W H.O., and has much, much more power going up hills, and even taking off on flat ground. I've seen that most people recommend the 5.0EFI engine to the 351W H.O., since they make almost the same power but the EFI is "better," which is leaving me a bit stumped on this one. This leaves me with the answer of too high of gearing for these tires and engine/trans, or could this be some sort of a transmission problem?

I think these are the main concerns I'm having at the moment with the Bronco. I still need to work on some other stuff, and try and fix what I can from the above, before I determine if there are still more problems. Any help with these would be greatly appreciated. I'm fine with carbs and newer EFI vehicles, but this early-EFI stuff leaves me clueless. If anyone needs pictures of something, I can run up to the shop and get them in the morning.

Thanks!

:usa

·
Registered
55 Posts
gears seams to be a common thread this week there is a site i posted on yesterdays similary questions that shows what the perferabal gears are for each tire size. http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm im guessing that your drive train is stock which means you probly have a gear set some where between 3.00 and 3.55 which is a little to high for those tires. there were othe stock gear sets depending on differential 3.73 or 4.10 but since your saying it has a serious lack of nuts on hills i would say your at the higher end you should be good with a gear set between 4.10 and 4.56

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
With 33's i would go with 4:10's. If you are going to eventually go to 35's i would go 4.56's
My 89 has 33's with a 351 and it is a little sluggish up some hills. I plan on regearing to 4.56's soon.
Also does it pop or ping at all? Check timing. 12 degrees should be perfect and gain you some from what ive read

I also have the exact throttle cable problem. People always ask why the peddle is on the floor when they get in:doh0715:
So ill keep posted on the fix for that. Good luck!

-Vance

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gears seams to be a common thread this week there is a site i posted on yesterdays similary questions that shows what the perferabal gears are for each tire size. http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm im guessing that your drive train is stock which means you probly have a gear set some where between 3.00 and 3.55 which is a little to high for those tires. there were othe stock gear sets depending on differential 3.73 or 4.10 but since your saying it has a serious lack of nuts on hills i would say your at the higher end you should be good with a gear set between 4.10 and 4.56
I wasn't sure what gears these came with stock, but I was thinking they had to be up there a bit. Drivetrain is completely stock. I saw the technical article on this site as well, and was thinking 4.56 gears, but didn't know where I was starting from. I've considered 35" tires down the road, since the 33's look almost just a bit too small now that it has a 3" body lift, so the 4.56 might be a better gear to go with overall.

Thank you!

With 33's i would go with 4:10's. If you are going to eventually go to 35's i would go 4.56's
My 89 has 33's with a 351 and it is a little sluggish up some hills. I plan on regearing to 4.56's soon.
Also does it pop or ping at all? Check timing. 12 degrees should be perfect and gain you some from what ive read

I also have the exact throttle cable problem. People always ask why the peddle is on the floor when they get in:doh0715:
So ill keep posted on the fix for that. Good luck!

-Vance
I can't check timing correctly, because I can't find the SPOUT connector...the whole problem I'm having. I will try 12° though when I find the connector. ;) Worst case, I'm just going to undo any one-wire connector I find on the wiring harness that goes to the distributor in some way.

As for the pedal, the logical solution is a new ferrel (sp?), but my concern is if I don't get it on there well enough, and it comes off while driving...no gas whatsoever. I may end up having to go that route though. I tried a couple of things yesterday and none really worked out well.

Thank you as well!

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
Ohh okayy. Somehow i looked over that, my bad.

But yeahh i havent fiddled with mine for awhile, so ill have to try that route too. Let me know what works for you

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I'm probably going to do for the pedal, is pull it up so it is off of the floorboard, mark close to the pedal and put a new ferrel on so the back of it is on that mark, then just cut the excess wire off and mash the ferrel in a bench vice to make sure it won't come off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
What I'm probably going to do for the pedal, is pull it up so it is off of the floorboard, mark close to the pedal and put a new ferrel on so the back of it is on that mark, then just cut the excess wire off and mash the ferrel in a bench vice to make sure it won't come off.
sounds good, just make sure you get it in there good so you aren't stuck without an accelerator in traffic... of course you know that, I'm just bored...

sometimes you just have to make stuff work like that, good to see some other folks aren't scared to!:thumbup

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, long time bump.

Something happened on the F150; I'm thinking cracked timing cover...somehow, at this point. So, I had to finish the Bronco up real quick to get it on the road in the F150's place. I'm heading to town now for some new ferrels as I have no idea where the old ones went, lol. Haven't had time for pictures yet, but will get some for everyone :) Anyways, onto the gears. 4.56 gears are strongly being considered, i.e.-they will get installed. It is my understanding I need a new carrier pin? Where might I find the one of those and is there any specific one I should consider? Also, how do I know what size carrier bearings (I think that's what they are called?) that I need to order when I get the install kit?

·
FSM Lifetime
2,237 Posts
Do you actually have a roush stage 2??

Those things are sexy!

There's a 2001 for sale here locally that I would LOVE to get my hands on. I'm hoping the owner won't be able till next summer when I should be makin da money

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you! :)

I got the ferrel on the throttle cable last night which shortened it up just about an entire inch! The pedal doesn't rest on the floorboard anymore, which is good. I drove it last night real quick, and it seemed better than I recalled. The Mrs. has been driving it for the past few days, and again this morning to work. She called me on her lunch and told me it was amazing at what a difference it made! The truck is actually capable of kicking down now and revving past 2,500RPM going up a hill, lol! I'm sure the gears will only help even more! Looked for carrier pins again last night and came up empty handed. Where the heck do you get those things?!

Oh, for the "ferrule" (apparently this is the correct spelling; my bad)...
I got a 3/32" Ferrule & Stop Set (Campbell B7675314) from Lowe's last night. I used the little round one, not the double. Just slide it over the wire. The cable comes in at just under 5/64", so the 3/32" is perfect!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts