Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short: IT WORKED!!!!!

I cannot stress how ecstatic I was when I saw how seamlessly everything fell together. I will include pictures of the exhaust from the headers to the tips. I apologize in advance for the attention to detail and long-windedness below, but I'd like to represent the exhaust build as closely and as accurately as possible.

Parts used:
2 1/4" pipe,
one Jones SPX3 X-pipe (aluminized steel),
two Flowmaster 942446 Super 44's ("steel"),
two unknown (will edit in later) 18" slant tip chrome exhaust tips,
and two unknown brand exhaust hangers.

Pictures below:

Driver's side header.

Passenger's side header.

Driver's side pipe swooping under transmission to meet up with the X-pipe inlet.

The X-PIPE ITSELF!!!! The inlets are secured with high quality wrap-around clamps, so in case some tranny trouble should ensue, it's only a matter of loosening & tightening, rather than cutting & re-welding. Goes clean through where the original exhaust went due to the compactness of this X-pipe!

Pipes after the X-pipe (now oriented towards back of vehicle).

One Flowmaster on each side of the driveshaft.

The final up-and-over bends before the end of the pipes!

Driver's side final hanger.

Passenger's side final hanger.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
3,778 Posts
It looks great but Is that actually legal in your state? Having exhaust vent that close to an opening window? Would never fly in pa.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
702 Posts
Niice job, your welding skills are great!!

The only thing I see that I don't like is the orientation of the hangers bolted to your frame at the back. They are not in the right orientation & they will not last very long like that.

They are designed to hang the wieght vertically, but the way you have installed them, metal fatigue will quickly take them out. The designed load path is up down, not horizontally. When positioned horizontally, the only strength is the metal thickness which might be 1/16" if you're lucky & that weight bearing down over bumpy roads quickly makes the weak point fatigue & fail. If you turn them to hang, you won't be replacing them in 3 months.

I see this all the time & it works for a bit, but not too long. My Bronco had them that way when I bought it last year & they didn't make it more than a few months before my muffler was hanging on the ground cuz that metal snapped where the red arrow is. When hanging, as oriented in the picture, they last a long time

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
14,833 Posts
It looks great but Is that actually legal in your state? Having exhaust vent that close to an opening window? Would never fly in pa.
Perfectly legal here in KS, but with mine oriented like that, I lasted one day before having them turned out the sides. Too much carbon monoxide came in through the tailgate seals and window. This was in like 2005, in a well cared for 94.

Reactions: BroncMom

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,139 Posts
Everyone has their own learning process. Some listen to others with more experience and learn by listening, reading and research, whereas others have to Reinvent the wheel, find out the hard way etc... To each their own! Some people like wasting money and time to learn a lesson! Some don't care and deal with it! Some are just looking for a look or sound and that is all that matters!

(Edited) I will say this; it looks like the Shop or you did a great job on the exhaust. As stated above I would have had the Hangers in the rear mounted in their designed position and I would have had it exit out the sides of the rear tires as in the Factory location on both sides (2nd worst case, yours is the "worst" case straight out the back) or "Ultimately" run the 2 tail pipes out the Factory Passenger side location only (best case), as I did on mine. With the exhaust exiting straight out the back you are opening yourself up for the exhaust to get crushed in off-roading situations, whereas they are better protected behind the rear tires for off-roading, this of course only matters if you go Off-Roading. With the exhaust exiting out one side of the vehicle on the passenger side the exhaust that will be available to get into the rear window will be limited to 1/2X (theoretically) but with the exhaust exiting both sides behind the rear tires you will have 2X (theoretically) the exhaust wanting to come in the rear window. As in with the exhaust exiting one side and getting sucked into the vacuum behind the vehicle and the other side allowing only fresh air to get sucked into the vacuum behind the vehicle that would equate to 1/2 fresh air and 1/2 exhaust gases wanting to come into the rear window as compared to exhaust out both sides that would equate to twice the exhaust gasses available to come in the rear window. Also with the exhaust coming out the sides whether it be single side or both sides the exhaust gasses mix with some fresh air so there will never be 100% exhaust gasses wanting to enter the vehicle, whereas with it coming "Straight" out the back as in your case (approximately) 100% (theoretically) of the exhaust gasses will be available to come in your rear window. Sorry for the long Diatribe but I was just trying to explain my point and that of others on this site. I also hope it ended up sounding exactly the way you were hoping it would!

Good luck with your exhaust and the adventures that lie ahead for you.

·
Registered
92 Eddie Bauer 5.slow
83 Posts
Was wondering on off-road too but saw he was on street tires.
Looks cool straight out.
Goodluck hopefully it won’t smell

·
Registered
1993 F150 XLT 302 MAF A/T 4x4 2.5" Lift
231 Posts
Nice job! If you like the straight pipes going out the back then rock them! I like the x-pipe design, never seen this before on our trucks. This will give me one other option to play with for my mid pipe. For me I'm not a fan of tail pipes going straight back on trucks for a few reasons. None doing with legal stuff either. Like I said before if you like them, then roll with it...its your truck. Nice work, now how bout an exhaust vid :) ? I'm sure it must sound good

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,694 Posts
Glad to see you got what you wanted figured out but the question remains and it was your biggest reason behind the mod... does it sound like the Mustang exhaust setup you really wanted?

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One toxic habit of mine that I need to break real soon- replying within ten days of replies from everybody else. Lmao

@BroncMom- Believe it or not, Texas has some pretty cool mechanics around here- and that's all I'll say!! :ROFLMAO:

@Rob_64-365- I wish. I can hardly stick weld :ROFLMAO: The welds, bends and otherwise are all my exhaust guy. He has been in the business since 1988. I now see how he has kept and stayed in business all of these years. I never even noticed the horizontal orientation of the hanger until you said something! I will be getting it fixed very soon, I definitely do not want to end up in the same situation you did. Thanks for catching that!

@BigBlue 94- TX exhaust laws are pretty loose here, but we do still have inspections annually. None of the local Police seem to care one way or another.

@Stevo440- Much needed words of wisdom my man! I've had plenty of time to learn, trust me. Been through a hand full of exhausts and knew this would be the be all end all for me. It has been so far! As with the exhaust fumes, straight out the back isn't that strong with exhaust fumes, believe it or not! Only time it's really intense is ~30 MPH, and that is due to going relatively slow and the engine kicking ~2000 RPM (TQC not fully locked in 2nd gear). Other than that, it's really only a hint of fumes, but with the window up, it's non-existent.

@Kreepiekid- They are all-terrains. If I do off-road, most times it's because I have to. Still have a little fun in the mud about once a year though.

@Scazz- I will be rolling out an exhaust video on this thread soon, and I will be sure to tag you in it!!

@TorqueO- I'll try them out for a little while longer and decide if I want them turned out.. As for the X-pipe, it really gives the engine a very distinct sound that catches people's attention, even if it isn't bone-rattling loud. As for being straight out of the back, it gives a slightly different sound than getting them turned behind the rear tires and out the sides. I would definitely consider an X-pipe though. Do some research, but you wont regret it if you get one under there!! P.S.- Exhaust vid coming very soon!!

@BikerPepe`- You want that answer in one or two words? Two? Ok, here goes... Hell yeah!!! It sounds IDENTICAL to a Mustang. I was actually working a car show this weekend, and when I pulled into the staff parking lot that morning, a good bit of the contenders were telling me they heard another Mustang coming, but when they turned to look, they saw a Bronco rolling by!! Talk about satisfaction, that's it in it's purest form! Couldn't be more pleased with what I got.

Thanks everybody for your input, it is definitely much appreciated!!!!

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,694 Posts
Glad you really nailed it with exactly what you were looking for. I had my doubts, with the required difference in routing, even with the X pipe you might not land where you wanted, so I'm pleasantly surprised. Good for you bud. (y)

·
PROPERTY U.S. GOVERNMENT
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@BikerPepe` Yes sir, I'm still floored 2 weeks later that it actually matches up with the sound of a Mustang! I'm just glad we were able to kick it off with good news, being the X pipe could fit in the exact place I imagined it fitting. It was all downhill from there, he finished everything in about half a day, no kidding. Brilliant work done in what seemed to be a blink of an eye haha. But trust me when I tell you I had my doubts too. I really thought it was going to have that same old truck rumble I hear all the time from other trucks, but this is the most unique sound I've heard from a Bronco, and that's without bias to my own. I'm going to set some time aside sometime this week to get an exhaust video rolled out on here.

@Kreepiekid, there is a trace of fumes going 55 MPH (2100 RPM) with all windows down, but ~30 MPH it is pretty intense since I'm pulling around 2000 RPM in 2nd before it switches to 3rd. With all windows up, you can't smell anything.

Overall, the odor is there, but not to where you can't stand it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts