Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

i recently found a 79 ford bronco that use to be my dads about 14 or 15 years ago it found its way from wyoming to oklahoma and back

i was able to get it for 400 bucks

when my dad owned it it was in great shape now its pretty sad
i would like to return it to its former glory and give it back to him

i am a die hard chevy guy i know chevy backward forwards up and down but when it comes to fords i'm lost

the 400 needs rebuilt along with the tranny and body/paint

i would like to lift the bronco 4 inches and run 33 inch tires
it will not be used off road other than a maintained dirt road so i would like it to drive good and ride good on the road

what lift would be best for that

thanks for any advise or suggestions

this is a picture taken a couple months before he sold it its a scanned poleroid i couldn't figure out how to crop it

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
you got emission laws?

the 400 can be built to have awesome amounts of power for cheap.

33" tires and a 4" lift might look kinda goofy. 32" tires need no lift to clear with out any problems.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
That was a sharp truck back in the day. It's a pretty cool project restoring your dads old truck. To bad my dad drove a crappy 2wd Datsun pickup back then.:banghead

Anyway, sounds like you've got plenty of work ahead of you. The only advise I would give you at this point would be to look at some pics of other '78-'79's on this board and reconsider your tire size choice. The fender wells on the '78-'79 are huge, and that coupled with a 4" lift is going to make those 33's look tiny. I don't know what your intended use of the truck is, but I would either go with a larger tire or a shorter lift. If it were me I would opt for a larger tire.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
yeah, on a 78-79 you can fit 35's with no lift. You want have a lot of flex but it can be done. So a 4 inch lift and 35s or 36s would look pretty sharp

i would suggest building a 460 instead of rebuilding the 400. no replacement for displacement. But the 400 isn't a bad motor either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i'm in wyoming we have no lift laws and no emission laws its great
but it will only be a driver i was thinking bore it 30 run a mild cam with a good intake and 4 barrel carb maybe around 300 horse would be good

i don't know fords but that set up works good on chevy's

i have a 83 blazer for my off road truck big block 1 tons and lockers and 38'' swampers
i don't need the bronco to be anything other than a good running and good driving good looking truck for my dad until he passes then maybe give it to my son when he turns 16

as for the 33s with 4 inches once again i'm a chevy guy chevy's look great with 4'' and 33s

now that i think about it i think it has 33s on it now and back then in the pic with no lift maybe 2 inch would work

it will be a pavement pounder for my 70 year old dad so i don't want it lifted to high just enough to look right with 33s

thanks

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
if you insist on 33's only do a 2" lift.

on my 78 I had 38's when I cut about 4" of fender off with 4" of lift and they never rubbed. 35 and a 4" lift never rubbed either. 32's without any lift and they never rubbed.

just clean up the bores, install a decent cam and these engines make power easily since they were so restricted from the factory. a straight up timing set is a good idea as well.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Since you don't plan to use if off road I see little need to lift it, would recommend 32s.

Hope your planning to keep the same color scheme.

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Why not just give it a little bit of extra body lift, that will give you that extra height you want and alot easier on your wallet

·
Registered
84 Posts
78/79s do not need any lift to run 33s, the wheel wells are huge.
My 79 is running 33 Truxus MTs I've never had them rub anything but the radius arm at full lock

·
Registered
353 Posts
no i'm in wyoming we have no lift laws and no emission laws its great
but it will only be a driver i was thinking bore it 30 run a mild cam with a good intake and 4 barrel carb maybe around 300 horse would be good

i don't know fords but that set up works good on chevy's

i have a 83 blazer for my off road truck big block 1 tons and lockers and 38'' swampers
i don't need the bronco to be anything other than a good running and good driving good looking truck for my dad until he passes then maybe give it to my son when he turns 16

as for the 33s with 4 inches once again i'm a chevy guy chevy's look great with 4'' and 33s

now that i think about it i think it has 33s on it now and back then in the pic with no lift maybe 2 inch would work

it will be a pavement pounder for my 70 year old dad so i don't want it lifted to high just enough to look right with 33s

thanks

You can fit 33" tires MAX on a stock bronco, do not try and fit 35's you will be buying new fenders, since it is a daily driver you don't need a 460 either, the 351M/400 is a fine stock motor that you can put a better cam and heads on (aluminum) and it'll run great. I think a 2" lift would be your best bet, don't go four", you won't like it. Other than that, the C6, NP205 and axles aregreat on a stock bronco. I like the way it looks in the picture in your initial post, they look to be 33" tires.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I say run it with the stock suspension and 32's. I think your 70 y.o. dad would appreciate the lower ride height. When the time comes for you to give it to your son, you guys can do a lift and 35's and he will be one happy kid. Also gives you guys a "project" to do together and lets your dad enjoy the bronco in his later years. Cool project for both of them in the long run.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I like ghglenn's advice, forget 460's forget lifts and all that, clean the thing up, put 32's or 33's on it, fix any rust, weather seals, dents etc... and give him what he had back in the day.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yep. No lift & 32's. If the old springs are sagging change em.

Edelbrock Intake. Holley or Edelbrock 600 CFM. Comp Cams 255 DEH or 265 DEH K kit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the advice i'm still not sure on any thing other than i want it too look the same as it did back in the day yes the paint will be the same and i want it to drive like it was when it was new and ride good

the lift will probably wait until my dad passes
the lift will be more for me after hes is gone even wth 33s on it it just sits to low to look good even my dad tought it sat to low back in the day but lifting it will make it harder for him to get into

if i was building it for offroading i would probably put a 460 in it but i think the 400 will be more than enough

i think it has a 203 t case i just glanced under it the other day to see but i didn't want to lay in the snow for a good look

and i didn't mean anything bad with the title of this thread i just knew it would get alot of attention i own over 25 chevy cars and trucks now this bronco is the od ball

·
Retired
16,015 Posts
and i didn't mean anything bad with the title of this thread i just knew it would get alot of attention i own over 25 chevy cars and trucks now this bronco is the od ball

I didn't take any offense to the title just busting on ya. I own Ford's, a Dodge, a Chevy and a Buick at this time...:toothless

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
Well just because you don't care for them, doesn't mean that body lifts are crap, on a hardcore off road truck, you might not want to increase the distance between the body and the frame by a whole lot, but this man is talking about fixing up a mall crawler for his father, and we are not talking about much height, so why not? get over it cornfed, this ain't about you and your likings :twak

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I build a lot of rigs with body lifts. Preferr that in fact, rather than go more than 4" on the suspension on a full size Bronco and 5.5" on an EB.

Sounds like the use that this one is intended for won't require any lift for the time being though..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts