Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

A GOOD day at the DMV?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  badass1tonf100 
#1 ·
So I went in today to title my new trailer and get the permanent tags. I was a little nervous doing this, because the trailer has no paperwork or any kind of identifying marks. All I had was a hand-written bill-of-sale. I took it in to the dmv today to see what I could do.

So here's what they did.

I pulled it up to the inspection station. The lady looked at it, saw that it had no ID or any kind of identifying marks, and said, "Wait right here." 5 minutes later she came back out with a California Assigned VIN sticker and pasted it on the trailer. Then she asked me, "How much do you think it weighs?" Uh...1300 pounds? "OK," she said, and wrote that on the title application. So now I have a clear title for a trailer with a clearly stated unladen weight of under 1500 pounds, which means I don't need fenders. Woohoo!!! Then she said to go inside and apply for the tags.

So I went inside and when I got to the window, told the lady all I had was a hand-written bill-of-sale and nothing else. I had filled out all of the application forms already. She said, "hmmmmm...." after looking through the paperwork. I know that sound...usually it means you have to jump through three hoops, sign away your firstborn and commit an act of ritual self-torture before you can get anywhere.

But all she said was, "Here, fill out this form and say that you guarantee it is free and clear of all liens or other interests." Uh...ok. I filled out the form and handed it to her, and 5 minutes later I had clear title and my CA Permanent Tags. Wow....

That was just WAY too easy. No hassle or nothing. That is very UN-typical of my previous experiences at the DMV. They must have gassed that place with happy gas today....

See less See more
#3 ·
What happened to the two hour wait

and the fights when they closed one wicket and tried to move the line of 45 people over three wickets to the open window ?

Then you get outside and find some F#@&ing leach has stung you with a parking violation, just because you parked across the head guy's reserved spot in your Bronco!:D

Sixlitre

#4 ·
peteyg said:
So I went in today to title my new trailer and get the permanent tags. I was a little nervous doing this, because the trailer has no paperwork or any kind of identifying marks. All I had was a hand-written bill-of-sale. I took it in to the dmv today to see what I could do.

So here's what they did.

I pulled it up to the inspection station. The lady looked at it, saw that it had no ID or any kind of identifying marks, and said, "Wait right here." 5 minutes later she came back out with a California Assigned VIN sticker and pasted it on the trailer. Then she asked me, "How much do you think it weighs?" Uh...1300 pounds? "OK," she said, and wrote that on the title application. So now I have a clear title for a trailer with a clearly stated unladen weight of under 1500 pounds, which means I don't need fenders. Woohoo!!! Then she said to go inside and apply for the tags.

So I went inside and when I got to the window, told the lady all I had was a hand-written bill-of-sale and nothing else. I had filled out all of the application forms already. She said, "hmmmmm...." after looking through the paperwork. I know that sound...usually it means you have to jump through three hoops, sign away your firstborn and commit an act of ritual self-torture before you can get anywhere.

But all she said was, "Here, fill out this form and say that you guarantee it is free and clear of all liens or other interests." Uh...ok. I filled out the form and handed it to her, and 5 minutes later I had clear title and my CA Permanent Tags. Wow....

That was just WAY too easy. No hassle or nothing. That is very UN-typical of my previous experiences at the DMV. They must have gassed that place with happy gas today....
Its Friday

#7 ·
The thing that got me was....

In theory, I could have just grabbed that trailer off the side of someone's house, got rid of whatever ID there was on it (if any), wrote myself a fake bill of sale, and in an hour have it be legally titled in my name. And nobody would have blinked an eye at it. I paid my title and taxes, and they were as happy as can be. I even got the plates for it right then.

scary. I'm glad it fits in my garage.

#8 ·
Bronco Rob said:
U lucky %&^$'s

I've yet to have an easy time at the DMV. Last time i went to get tags for two cars and a motorcycle it took me close to half a day, and $150.00.

If it weren't for bad luck, i wouldn't have any luck at all

They must just hate you or something--or I'm just lucky cause I'm an a podunk Ohio town.
My first renewal trip cost me around $225.00, but that was to register 3 cars, 2 motorcycles, and 1 trailer. And it took me less than 20 minutes total.

What's funny is the look on the clerks face when they suggest registering some of the stuff in my wife's name (renewals due on birthdays) then they look at her ID and realize its the same damn day

#11 ·
jimzbronc said:
They must just hate you or something--or I'm just lucky cause I'm an a podunk Ohio town.
My first renewal trip cost me around $225.00, but that was to register 3 cars, 2 motorcycles, and 1 trailer. And it took me less than 20 minutes total.

What's funny is the look on the clerks face when they suggest registering some of the stuff in my wife's name (renewals due on birthdays) then they look at her ID and realize its the same damn day
Your lucky your south of Cleveland...way south.

The state of Ohio can screw up well enough on it's own, then add a fair sized municipality like Parma into it, and i can just about guarantee a screw up.

That last trip that took me half the day, there is a DMV at the end of my street that NO ONE is ever in. I walked in to it and there was no one in it, i was like SWEET!. The reason there was no one in it is because "Ohio had switched to a new DMV program and the computers were down" the only one that didn't switch to the new program yet was still up.

Therefore, anyone needing plates like me, on that particular day, ended up going to the main one down by the Chebby plant. The parking lot holds about 200 cars.......i couldn't find a parking spot, and my plates expired that day.

#12 ·
Makes me glad I DON'T live in a big city anymore (lived for ~10 yrs in San Diego)

Just sold my old VW this morning and had to take the kid over to DMV (title has to be notarized, and get a temp tag) took us about 15 minutes and cost him $12.50

Last car I registered in CA was over $300 just for the renewal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.