Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters I have a 93 FS 302 4wd that I bought a few months ago with 158K on it. Everything is stock so far except for a K&N. It came with K&N stickers on the truck so of course I assumed there was one in it. After having it a few days and having time to thoroughly check it out I opened up the airbox and it was as empty as it could be.

So I go ahead and get new plugs, wires, K&N, pcv, pcv filter, and a tank sending unit (I knew the gauge didn't work when I bought it) and throw them on for starters. I checked the belt and it was in good shape except that had about one rib riding on the outer edge of the crank pulley. I took the tension off of it and put it back where it should be and fired her up and all looked fine. A couple of weeks later we were heading camping and about 25 miles into the trip the battery light came on and we lost power steering. Yeah you guessed it...remember the belt?

I never thought about checking it again after I put it back in it's place that day. Well after arguing with the California Hwy Patrol and the towing company for 2 days (another story) I throw a belt on it and drive it home. When I get home I pop the hood a what do ya know? The dadgum belt is back up on the lip again. I pull the belt and get under there to see what the heck is going on. All I find is a piece of rubber hanging out of the balancer and a some play in the power steering pump. Well I start with the pump....pull the fan shroud, fan, PS pulley, pump.....all is well. I bolt the new pump up, run in the house grab a drink, come back slap the pulley on and start pressing it on.

Well about 4 or 5 turns into it I look and something just doesn't look right. In the rush of trying to get it done I put the pulley on backwards. :banghead:wtf Yeah well I give up on it for the night and come back to it 2 days later. Since it's too far on already to just pull off and it's a new pump and don't want to damage it I'm lost of all thoughts. A few beers later I come to the conclusion that the only way I'm going to get it off is with the puller, but the puller needs something to grab a hold to. So in all my redneck ingenuity I start drilling hols vertically from where the belt rides down to the metal hub that rides on the shaft. After doing this every inch or so all the way around I grab the pulley with channel locks and start breaking it off in big chunks down to where I have something to grab onto with the puller.

Finally I'm getting somewhere!!! So I get what used to be a pulley off, replace it, get everything else back on and we're running again. I think I still need a little adjustment on the alignment of it because the belt looks like it's a little closer to the front of the crank pulley still but I will definitely keep a closer eye on it than before and I won't rush another job!....ever!!! Laugh it up!! Oh yeah, when I put my fan back on the clutch was leaking fluid pretty good so I'll probably be doing that pretty soon.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I got as far as the belt and had to stop reading.

My eyes started to hurt.

Try breaking it up a bit.

...and welcome to the site

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
check and make sure the balanacer and shit are good as well. the belt shouldnt be "ridin" forward.

and Waltwoman quit being a dick, dick

·
Registered
897 Posts
If you have rubber coming out of the balencer, its toast. You realy dont want that coming apart on you, and with a worn balancer, you cant set timing correctly.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Why did you have to destroy the pulley? Unless I've forgotten something, it should come off the same as it did before you installed it backwards.

check and make sure the balanacer and shit are good as well. the belt shouldnt be "ridin" forward.

and Waltwoman quit being a dick, dick
Easy there, little fella, I'm just having fun.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,547 Posts
Check the bracketry while you're at it. My bro (no, the other one) had an '82 Crown Vic, and the aluminum P/S bracket was bent and cracked, so it would shed its belt once a day. And as far as the damper is concerned, get a new one. Don't rely on a used one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check the bracketry while you're at it. My bro (no, the other one) had an '82 Crown Vic, and the aluminum P/S bracket was bent and cracked, so it would shed its belt once a day. And as far as the damper is concerned, get a new one. Don't rely on a used one.
X2, and don't go for the cheapest universal you can find. I bought one from summit racing, and have had hell with it. I finally got it figured out, but the universal mount system on it was a pain to get it spaced right to line up with the rest of the pulleys. And the timing marks still aren't right, I can't time it with a light. I have had to time it by ear and test drive. What a bitch!:cry

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok so I recently went through this he he he, it was kinda hard to read damn! but it is your Harmonic Balancer if you have rubber hanging out it needs to be replaced, easiest way to see if this is the main problem is to remove your fan shroud and fire the truck up if the fan wobbles all over the place then definatly the balancer, its a big job so get ready for it, you have to remove all belts, fan, hoses, water pump, If I were you since your there anyways I would replace the timing gears it'll save you time later but thats just me.

I bought a Harmonic Balancer from a JY (bad idea) I also bought an aftermarket job (another bad idea) finally I went here.

http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/FD/full.aspx?Page=106

They are exact parts and you dont have to worry for your year make and model it will be part number 43-7842 not bad for $60!!!

Anyways there is my 2 Cents!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I got a Ford motorsports..errr FRP balancer from Summit. Its a OE replacement style, and was a good price, and fit like OE.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why did you have to destroy the pulley? Unless I've forgotten something, it should come off the same as it did before you installed it backwards.

Yeah it comes off the same way but with the pulley on backwards the puller designed for it had nothing to grab. It's some kind of composite pulley with a metal center piece has a lip on one side and it's flush on the other. I had the flush side facing out so there was nothing to grab onto. A three jaw puller started snapping chunks out of the pulley so I said what the hell.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
[off topic] Welcome to FSB. Is harper your name, or does it have other significance? [/offtopic]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help and welcomes everyone. Yeah Iolaus, Harper is my last name. I've already bought a OEM balancer from checkers...I think it was around 70 bucks or so. I don't know when I'm going to have the time to tackle that job I'm going TAD starting next weekend for 6 months. I'm sure I'll be seeking ya'll help on that though because the only time I've touched one was in auto mechanics 11 years ago. Yeah, it's a little fuzzy

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
While you're replacing all of the above, get a new water pump/t-stadt and install at the same time. Also when you go to Checkers....get the military discount.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts