Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 79 Bronco had it's first real off-road test this weekend and it survived through logs, mud, water, sand for about 6 hours and the day was going great. Well when trying to pull a 2 wheel drive ranger out of a really bad spot i first broke my rear u-joint, fixed that real quick, then broke my rear pinion. well after i got my driveshaft off and got out of the way we hooked another 79 ford up to and started pulling. The lesson i have to share with everyone is that no matter how far away you are standing and think you are safe in a towing situation you probably aren't. I was standing roughly 60 feet away talking to my freinds and the next thing i knew i was laying face down in the sand and wondering y i couldn't move. Apperently on the last tug the huge welded up pipe bumper on the back of the ford gave loose and went sailing through the air taking me out above my ankles. I now have a broken tibia in my right leg, several smaller fractures in my left ankle and can't really walk for a while. I don't really blame anyone for the accident other than i think i need to teach some of my freinds how to weld. And if you 4x4 you always end up getting stuck or pulling people out so be careful out there.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Wow, lucky dude. That could have been a hell of a lot worse had that thing hit you pointy end, or a little higher.

Some crappy welder owes you some serious beers.
;)

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
Hope everything turns out ok for ya. you are so lucky one of my friends winch cable broke on him and allmost cut his arm off and broke 4 ribs.

·
aka BroncoB♥tch
840 Posts
Wow that really sucks, sorry to hear. I always tell the guys calling the pulls to get back cause if that strap snaps they're gonna be sorry. Wow get well soon

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Get well soon! Damn sure could have been ALOT worse.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
holy crap! i feel ya man:

Broke both bones and fractured ankle. I spent 2 months in bed. Laptop and FSB were essential parts of my recovery :thumbup

Hope it goes better for you then me. two years later (anniversary date is the 29th o' Mar. '06) and I'm still all messed up pretty bad. Went back to work for a while, but I'm back off work on disability and in a legal battle.

Advice I can give is take it slow. Dont push yourself. Take things as you are ready.

Good luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Joes93Bronco said:
holy crap! i feel ya man:

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/248299/fullsize/2004_0~4.JPG[img]

[img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/248300/fullsize/2004_0~5.JPG[img]

[img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/143804/original/JOE2.JPG[/mg]

Broke both bones and fractured ankle. I spent 2 months in bed. Laptop and FSB were essential parts of my recovery :thumbup

Hope it goes better for you then me. two years later (anniversary date is the 29th o' Mar. '06) and I'm still all messed up pretty bad. Went back to work for a while, but I'm back off work on disability and in a legal battle.

Advice I can give is take it slow. Dont push yourself. Take things as you are ready.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Joe What exactly happned? i reamber u talking bout it but i never caught what happned

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
took a spill off my span ladder while working in a rainstorm. was coming down and a combo of factors caused the ladder to slide to the side free-ing the right hand hook. my weight caused the ladder to spin around dumping me off. i fell about 20 ft and my right leg took all of the impact snapping both bones and fracturing the ankle.

normally i would have climbed the pole but the power co. had replaced the old pole and the new one was to far away from the cable tap for me to reach it. so i was usin the ladder. it was (and still is) a grand adventure.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Man, glad to hear you didnt get kilt!:toothless I guess there really isnt a completely safe way to recover vehicles. I mean, even if yer in yer truck the line could break and fly through the window:shocked

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
i always duck.... :toothless i've been made fun of for it before, but a cloth strap broke on me one day and gave me the worst bruises i think ive ever had. its like getting shot with frozen paintballs...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys the supports is awsome and we always hope it doesn't happen to anyone else, kinda amazing more people don't get killed. But I will be out wheelin as soon as my leg heals up that is for sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
could have been alot worse. Had a person here get killed when the chain they were using to snatch somebody out broke and came through the back glass hitting them in the head. I never like being anywhere close when that kind of stuff is going on.

·
Administrator
22,853 Posts
moldmaker said:
could have been alot worse. Had a person here get killed when the chain they were using to snatch somebody out broke and came through the back glass hitting them in the head. I never like being anywhere close when that kind of stuff is going on.
Only and Idiot would try to yank with a chain...:doh0715:

·
Administrator
22,853 Posts
moldmaker said:
Only and Idiot would try to yank with a chain...:doh0715:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts