Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night sometime in the late hours some genius with a flathead screwdriver decided to try to get into my bronco. Attempting to bust the lock cylinder he was only able to leave bent up and destroyed along with bangin up the hole as well...So what is the best plan of attack? I am unable to lock and unlock with the key(good thing I have kids to unlock for me). The door does lock from inside and when unlocked the exterior handle works to open door and when locked it doesn't open. Can the door be opened by popping the lock cylinder? Any input would be greatly appreciated...
Thank you guys...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Doc

the spotted faced Cretan that attempted to break into your Bronco last night usually steals Honda Civics (his method works with them).

Had many a Civic owner crying in my office back in the early 90s and every one of them had a huge screwdriver hole in their door skin, near the lock.

I know you're a 96er and not an 86er, but here's an inside pic of what's in there, in my 86's original door;

On an 86's there is a U clip, accessible from the end of the door, that allows you to simply pop the cylinder out and replace it. Here's one more pic;

There's the slit, top right of the next pic below;

(the U clip is already out).

You can probably remove the lock cylinder, inner panel and hammer and dolly the door skin and rods straight again if you're not wanting to increase your insurance rates with a claim.

Dunno if the braintrust will be back, but a good method of detection and a warm welcome should be considered for this deserving little [email protected]$turd IMHO

Sixlitre

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Six,
It all looks familiar to the 96 as well, time to pop of the door panels to take a looks see.
Thanks again.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Thanks Six,
It all looks familiar to the 96 as well, time to pop of the door panels to take a looks see.
Thanks again.
Don't despair Doc

whole, brand new door shells are dirt cheap for these trucks (F-150s). Heck, down your way there must be unlimited rust free, painted used doors.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I hear ya. There is a great ford parts place in Phoenix that has all the parts I need for this. Just trying to decided if the door is the way to go. Money money money, you know. Hey again, thank you so much for helping me with this. In the meantime, as I wait for my friend in the business, I have disconnected the battery, removed any valuables, and taped up and out of the way the door rod that could that could open the door with a finger. Just hung it out of the way is all.
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts